Author Topic: Gergiev/LSO/LSO Live M6...Speechless  (Read 10863 times)

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Gergiev/LSO/LSO Live M6...Speechless
« on: May 23, 2008, 11:29:49 PM »
Finally heard this yesterday in SACD stereo, on headphones (Grado SR80's)...

How beautifully recorded this M6 is!  The structure and concept is consistantly executed and passionately played thoughout!  The second hammerblow gave me chills! 

I seriously feel this Gergiev is a contender against my current top M6's...Haitink's 2004 LSO broadcast and Sanderling's searing account (now out of print I think)...

Gergiev presents a convincing A/S order as well, the most convincing yet (although it's hard to explain why...perhaps it is just my excitement talking).  I do wish Gergiev had recorded the S/A order...but thats easily solved thanks to modern technology (yet I tend to play the movement order the way the conducter recorded/concieved it).

--Todd

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: Gergiev/LSO/LSO Live M6...Speechless
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 11:33:47 PM »
By the way...Barry and Dave Hurwitz's reviews cover what I love about this recording...rhythm well captured, great pacing overall, good balances, convincing structure and etc...

And the first movement is not as fast I thought it would be.

And...the LSO may just be my preferred orchestra for M6.  Gonna relisten to the Levine LSO M6 tonight.

--Todd
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 11:35:43 PM by Leo K »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 11:47:13 PM »
"Come to the dark side of the force, Luke".   ;)

I like how Gergiev rushes towards the first hammerstroke, but then approaches the second one with great trepidation. That shows some planning and intelligence (I think). I also think that his M6 has one of the best scherzos out there. As scherzos go, it's not just "there" - sitting around like an over-inflated minuet movement, taking up time and space. It actually has some tension and contrast (imagine that!).

Barry

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 11:55:26 PM »
Yes, Gergiev's treatment of the hammerstrokes are deeply moving to say the least.  His treatment of the whole Finale blows me away, and the details, thanks to the LSO, reveal parts of the score I've never heard.  The musical "line" thoughout the whole 28 minutes was 100% convincing to me...no sagging bottom here.

The scherzo really breaks the mood of the andante drastically, since Gergiev/LSO doesn't pull any punches...and there is a flow that helps to keep attention in every section...preventing the "waiting for the good parts" syndrome I sometimes get with performances.

The andante is Karajan-level stuff...no, it's miles better than Karajan thanks to the beauty of the brass :)

--Todd
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 11:58:22 PM by Leo K »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 12:00:36 AM »
Very well put.

I have only two constructive criticisms to make: a bit more woodwinds here and there could have been helpful. Second, I would have preferred that the final A-minor outburst at the very, VERY end of the symphony, be executed just a tad slower. Other than that, no complaints. I don't even find the first movement to be too fast, as some folks insist.

B.

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 12:17:39 AM »
Yes, I see your points there Barry...

The first movement tempo is just right...not more shocking than the Levi (which I haven't heard in awhile).  I was also reminded of Lenny's DG M6...but Gergiev has more gusto and more thought out tempi choices if I remember correctly.  Gergiev's is just as dark and alarming at every turn...if not more, yet the "heroic" character marches on...creating an excellant constrast to the dark elements (Sanderling is great at this as well...but the sound of his CD cannot match this new Gergiev account).

Love the snare in the first movement as well...nuanced playing and well recorded.

--Todd
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 12:20:46 AM by Leo K »

Offline Seán

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 08:22:36 PM »
I listened to the Gergiev/LSO Mahler 1, 2 & 3 broadcasts on BBC Radio 3 a few months ago and didn't like them at all.  I am intrigued that you like Gergiev's Sxith so much. 

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 08:26:20 PM »
I listened to the Gergiev/LSO Mahler 1, 2 & 3 broadcasts on BBC Radio 3 a few months ago and didn't like them at all.  I am intrigued that you like Gergiev's Sxith so much. 

I haven't heard those broadcasts, but I can confirm that his LSO M6 is mighty fine... :)

--Todd

Offline John Kim

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 03:51:52 AM »
I once heard a live M9th by Gergiev that was broadcast in May, 2008. It was a superb Mahler Ninth, fast, volatile but well balanced with biting brass and percussion all around.

John,

john haueisen

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 12:09:14 AM »
This is yet another illustration of the value of reading postings originally made weeks or months ago.
After reading Todd's and later Barry's comments about the Gergiev/LSO Live M6, I just had to hear it too.
Got it today, just finished listening to it, and I may have a new favorite M6.
The scherzo really kept moving--never stumbled, and had me waving my arms conducting the music.
Although I listened to it on my regular equipment (not SACD), the sound was remarkable.
I don't think the fact that it was a live recording prejudiced me to think it sounded more alive.  It really did keep flowing with no shortcomings.
Thanks to all who advocated for this outstanding M6.
--John H

Offline John Kim

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 04:10:46 PM »
John,

On the contrary, I was not terribly impressed with the sound of the Gergiev M6th SACD. The main problem was lack of details that I usually expect to hear in modern digital recordings. Tthe whole performance sounded small scaled, somewhat microscopic.

John,

john haueisen

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 04:42:43 PM »
Good point, John,

I am continually reminded of how subjective our experiences can be. 
Perhaps it sounded so good to me because I was outside, enjoying the fresh air on my patio.  Perhaps even, I made allowances for "smaller" sound, because I had in mind that I was outside in ambient noise.  Another factor could be that I was just in a good, relaxed mood.  Yet another factor could be that I've spent a lot of time  listening to M6 versions for the past week or so.  Thus, maybe I was preconditioned to hear more than usual.
--John H 

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 05:00:38 PM »
Obviously, I like Gergiev's M6 very much. However, I did feel that a fair amount of woodwind detail got covered over. But to compensate for that, the LSO brass and percussion did an outstanding job on this particular outing. I'm extremely impressed with their (French)horn section. At times, the miking is simply too close to the percussion. But hey, at least they play really well.

Barry

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 04:18:47 PM »
Good point, John,

I am continually reminded of how subjective our experiences can be. 
Perhaps it sounded so good to me because I was outside, enjoying the fresh air on my patio.  Perhaps even, I made allowances for "smaller" sound, because I had in mind that I was outside in ambient noise.  Another factor could be that I was just in a good, relaxed mood.  Yet another factor could be that I've spent a lot of time  listening to M6 versions for the past week or so.  Thus, maybe I was preconditioned to hear more than usual.
--John H 

I had a similar experience!  I was in a real great mood, and this disk just blew me away (the performance and the sound of the SACD layer)...I thought the balances were really good overall...and thought this recording to be atmospheric! 

It is amazing how impressions can be so different!

--Todd

Offline alpsman

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2008, 05:29:40 PM »
In this link   http://www.avro.nl/web/avro_klassiek/luisterkamer/keuzeconcert/mahler.aspx
you can download M6 with Gergiev and Rotterdam orchestra from a concert in September 18/1994.

The scherzo is second, and then Andante. Timings
I.23.35
II.13.30
III.16.20
VI.30

I have the LSO M6 but not hear yet. My opinion later

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk