Author Topic: DLvdE MTT/SFSO...outstanding in every way  (Read 14741 times)

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
DLvdE MTT/SFSO...outstanding in every way
« on: December 26, 2008, 07:40:11 AM »
Hey! This MTT DLVdE/SFSO is blowing me away!  It is ravishing!!!  On my 4th listen...I'm so amazed by the timbre and phrasing by both singers, and the orchestra is a wonder, it's as good as MTT's M9...I'm just amazed at this performance!   Hampson sounds fluid and powerful to my ear.

The performance is not dissapointing at all...it is so insightful I now have a better idea of Mahler's vision for this work, before this recording I wasn't a fan of the tenor/baritone combo, but if played with such beauty and careful execution, the orchestra and the two male singers can give a radically different view of this work, and for me this is a revelation...for instance, I can hear the spirit of Schubert's last dark song cycle, Winteriesse, in the mood of the singing.  I hear the lonliness more than I do with a contralto, perhaps because I can identify with the baritone more than the contralto, and hence I feel closer to the work.  The orchestra is absolutely astonding, full of nuance and detail.  Only wish for a louder tam tam, thats my only complaint.  The SACD layer is outstanding, and so is the CD layer...the best sounding DLVdE for my taste, even more refined than the excellant Sieghart.  Bernstein's tenor/baritone account doesn't have the impact this performance does.

I am more impressed with MTT's Mahler cycle as time goes on with more listens...I gave away the M5, but I may have to rebuy it...I had to rebuy the MTT SFO M3 as well, but I found it real cheap.

Cheers!

Todd
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 07:50:36 AM by Leo K »

Offline barry guerrero

Re: DLvdE MTT/SFSO...outstanding in every way
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 08:18:36 AM »
Boy; I don't know, I guess it's just me. I don't think that Hampson sounds particularly good at all. And for my taste, there simply isn't enough tam-tam during the funereal sounding, orchestral interlude in "der Abschied". Even the few loud strokes are way underplayed.

Barry

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 03:18:56 PM »
I've listened to this again twice this week and still think it's great...it's easily my top DLvdE.  I'm continually impressed by this recording.

Highlights:

--the sound of the SFSO
--both singers, they are very inspired!  They soar!
--the first song blooms and rises to action like nothing I've heard before
--the second movement destroys me in it's wintery beauty

Quibbles:

--The last movement isn't always flowing, sometimes drags alittle
--the tam tam isn't loud enough

Despite my quibbles I continue to be blown away by Hampsons singing and he saves the last movement for me.  I keep coming back.

--Todd

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 09:02:46 AM »
I would like to share your enthusiasm for this, and some of the other MTT recordings. But, alas, I simply can't. Oh well.

B.

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 05:56:29 PM »
I would like to share your enthusiasm for this, and some of the other MTT recordings. But, alas, I simply can't. Oh well.

B.

At least we agree on the Kubelik live one on Audite!

:D

--Todd

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 07:42:42 PM »
Indeed. The Audite one is great. I just feel that tenor/baritone works for "DLvdE" except for maybe the Bernstein/VPO one. Hampson sounds a tad "over the hill" to me, and MTT's tenor was nothing much to write home about. I'm afraid I'm not keeping a single item from the MTT/SFSO cycle, except for the earliest item of all: Das Klagende Lied.

I like MTT's earlier LSO M7 more than his SFSO one. It's even better recorded. I also prefer MTT's earlier LSO M3, even though it's not nearly as well recorded as the SFSO one. It has Janet Baker, and she sounds pretty darn good even though it was late in her career.

Offline GL

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 01:16:52 PM »
Indeed. The Audite one is great. I just feel that tenor/baritone works for "DLvdE" except for maybe the Bernstein/VPO one.

Of course, among tenor/baritone versions, the Bernstein/VPO is a classic, but I think that Dickie/Fischer Dieskau/Philharmonia O/Kletzki (EMI) is even better, because better and fresher is Fischer Dieskau's voice.

Luca

Offline Dave H

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 05:15:36 PM »
I'm with Luca on this one: for tenor/baritone may fave remains Kletzki for the singing. Hampson with MTT really is just plain bad, and I resent the use of Das Lied as a vehicle for aging, over-the-hill artists (remember Jon Vickers for Davis? Yech!). I think there are some fine recordings in the MTT cycle: 2, 4, and 9 especially, but it's been very inconsistent both interpretively and sonically. The saddest thing is MTT's manneristic habit of imposing "espressive" ritards at the ends of phrases--it quickly becomes predictable.

Best,

Dave H

Offline Nathaniel

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 06:00:36 PM »

I really liked the Cleveland (Welser-Most) Kaufmann-Maltman Das Lied from last year, but it may have been a broadcast, not a commercial release. Anybody else heard it?? The two singers are a wonderful casting choice. They are very different in voice and character and complement each other beautifully. I haven't heard the Tilson Thomas recording, but I wouldn't hold it against him -- it's so easy to screw up Das Lied von der Erde! On the other hand, the truth is I've had enough Michael Tilson Thomas to last me for a while after the 6th and the 8th (plus I've heard him live lately, and a few times).

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 07:09:05 PM »
Indeed. The Audite one is great. I just feel that tenor/baritone works for "DLvdE" except for maybe the Bernstein/VPO one.

Of course, among tenor/baritone versions, the Bernstein/VPO is a classic, but I think that Dickie/Fischer Dieskau/Philharmonia O/Kletzki (EMI) is even better, because better and fresher is Fischer Dieskau's voice.

Luca

I will definitely have to hear that Kletzki recording.  Thanks for the heads up.

And in regards to Hampson, I love the timber of his voice, different strokes for different folks I guess!

--Todd

Offline John Kim

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 05:51:03 AM »

Luca

I will definitely have to hear that Kletzki recording.  Thanks for the heads up.

And in regards to Hampson, I love the timber of his voice, different strokes for different folks I guess!

--Todd

Oh, yes, the Kleziki could be an opium 8) :o :(.

John,
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 05:52:55 AM by John Kim »

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 04:30:58 PM »
...Hampson with MTT really is just plain bad, and I resent the use of Das Lied as a vehicle for aging, over-the-hill artists...
Best,

Dave H

I'm not sure how accurate it is to say the he was matched to this recording as a vehicle for an aging, over-the hill artist.  I don't particularly care for Hampson on this specific recording either, but very much like his previous two efforts at DLvdE (Rattle, Haitink/Mahlerfest).  So it's not as if he is coming to this piece of music late in his career.  Let's face it, Hampson has always sung a lot of Mahler works.  He's just done it better on his previous efforts. 
Scott

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 05:24:38 PM »
Scott,

I've seen Hampson a couple of times with the SFSO, and I honestly don't think that, "aging, over-the-hill" is terribly inaccurate in a relative, musical sense. In other words, I agree with Dave!

Barry

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 05:45:32 PM »
For me, Hampson's singing on this DLvdE is truely breathtaking and glorious...but thats just me I guess  :-[ :'(

On the other hand, I'm just glad this recording exists...I have been enjoying the whole SFSO cycle.  It is amazing how we each hear so differently.

;)

--Todd

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 05:51:50 PM »
...Hampson with MTT really is just plain bad, and I resent the use of Das Lied as a vehicle for aging, over-the-hill artists...
Best,

Dave H

I'm not sure how accurate it is to say the he was matched to this recording as a vehicle for an aging, over-the hill artist.  I don't particularly care for Hampson on this specific recording either, but very much like his previous two efforts at DLvdE (Rattle, Haitink/Mahlerfest).  So it's not as if he is coming to this piece of music late in his career.  Let's face it, Hampson has always sung a lot of Mahler works.  He's just done it better on his previous efforts. 

Does anyone have a CDR or download link to the Haitink/Mahlerfest DLvdE?  I would love to hear that one.
--Todd

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk