Author Topic: Bernstein/Sony SACDs  (Read 5183 times)

Offline merlin

• Evening Sun
Bernstein/Sony SACDs
« on: January 12, 2012, 08:32:27 PM »
I have the DGG 2005 boxes 1 and 2, and M9 with Lenny and the BPO.

I am wondering which of these Sony Japanese SACDs might be worth purchasing from HmV, especially in terms of both performances and SQ?

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
Re: Bernstein/Sony SACDs
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 08:02:40 PM »
I have the DGG 2005 boxes 1 and 2, and M9 with Lenny and the BPO.

I am wondering which of these Sony Japanese SACDs might be worth purchasing from HmV, especially in terms of both performances and SQ?

Just to clarify, the above recordings are not the same as the Sony SACD's.  Lennie has two complete audio-only symphony cycles (an early one on Sony, a later one on DG), plus a separate video cycle.  In addition there are some 3rd efforts, like the above DG M9 with the BPO and a Sony M2 with the LSO (actually the same as the video M9 IIRC). 

If you are looking to purchase the best of the Sony cycle, I'd start with the M3, M4, and M7.  I rate the M3 as the absolute best in the entire catalog of M3's.  The M4 and M7 are easy top tier picks.  There really is not a clunker in the set, although the M5 has its detractors.  The sound quality is a huge improvement over my early-2000's boxed set (I believe the same mastering as the Bernstein Century CD's).  I haven't compared the SACD sound quality to the related DSD-mastered CD boxed set released just after. 

Scott

Offline merlin

• Evening Sun
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 09:16:25 PM »
Thanks for your response, Scott -- much appreciated!  I did know that the DGG cycle is different from the Columbia (now Sony).

I have read elsewhere, however, that the SQ, even with DSD remastering and in SACD format, is not nearly as good as more modern recordings, and am wondering what you might share about that?

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 11:12:04 PM »
I have read elsewhere, however, that the SQ, even with DSD remastering and in SACD format, is not nearly as good as more modern recordings, and am wondering what you might share about that?

The Sony/Japan SACD's do not sound as good as modern recordings. 
Scott

Offline merlin

• Evening Sun
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 11:47:02 PM »
Hi Scott, and thanks for the confirmation.  Having spent the last 2-3 days listening to the DGG M2 and M3, I am completely satisfied.  The SQ is excellent, and the performances of both led to frissons and tears.

My upgraded system handles these versions superbly.  But I will definitely give another listen to M2 Fischer/BFO and M6 Zinman/Tonhalle, both on SACD.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk