Author Topic: Mahler cycle conducted by Maazel---SONY.  (Read 4131 times)

Offline oscar

Mahler cycle conducted by Maazel---SONY.
« on: March 30, 2010, 12:51:46 PM »
I would like to read your opinions on Maazel´s Mahler cycle recorded by Sony in Vienna, during the eighties.

I just hear Nr. 1. Although the orchestra plays beautifully, I thought the reading has no punch and no character.

I wonder how is the rest.

regards,

Oscar.

Offline wagnerlover

Re: Mahler cycle conducted by Maazel---SONY.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 02:30:28 PM »
I think the M4 is decent.  And Kathleen Battle sings.

db

Offline Russell

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 03:38:54 PM »
The M4 is indeed very decent, and Battle sounds wonderful, but the rest of the set is pretty uneven, IMO.  I had them all at one point, but, unusually for me, I didn't keep a lot of them.  (I still have the M4, M5, M8, and M9 (w/M10 Adagio).)  I rather like his ending of the M8--VERY expansive, but oh so majestic.  And the sound quality there is better than most.

Russell

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 04:43:05 PM »
I've heard and/or own Maazel's M2, M4-M7, M9 and M10 Adagio. Of these I like only the 4th, 6th, and 10th Adagio.

Why do you waste your money on this set when Maazel's new cycle with NYPO is available? It should be far better and much more consistent than the first cycle with VPO. I am saying this based on my experience with NYPO 9th and folks who gave rave reports on other entries in the cycle.

Even Maazel's second go at the Mahler symphonies with BRSO several years ago is markedly better then the Sony set.

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk