Author Topic: Ozawa Mahler  (Read 6603 times)

Offline sbugala

Ozawa Mahler
« on: January 29, 2008, 03:04:05 AM »
I probably shouldn't go after it, but I'm starting to ponder acquiring Ozawa's Mahler set with the BSO.  I have a library discard of Symphony No. 4 which is pretty nice, and my friend played parts of his M5 and M10 Adagio.  I could assemble what I'd like from the set, but I was hoping to still find the whole cycle cheap, especially since I thought it came out as a budget box...unless it's already been deleted.  Any ideas? And was it really at budget price...or am I just thinking it was fairly cheap? (like $60)

I had his M2 and M7 at one time, and sadly I couldn't warm to either one. But there's enough good stuff that sounds tempting, even though I'll probably be a member of the Ozawa fan club.

Offline John Kim

Re: Ozawa Mahler
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 04:28:04 AM »
I like Ozawa/BSO/Philips M1, M3, M4, M7, M9 and M10 Adagio. Actually, the M3, M7, and M9 rank with the best. The sound is wonderful with natural balance and no sign of gimmicks. Overall, I'd give this set a 8/9 rating with an enthusiastic 10/9 for the M3,M7,M9 recordings. But I doubt you can get at $60.00.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 08:16:32 AM »
The 3rd is fabulous, and has the best sound in the cycle. It was coupled to his M6 in a three disc set, which happened to have the poorest sound quality in his cycle (M6). The 8th is pretty decent too, although the sound is typical early digital stuff. The 7th is very much a Bernstein clone - not a bad thing, mind you - but it lacks deep bells and cowbells at the finale's final peroration. The Saito Kinen Orch. M2 is better than the Boston one. Anyway, You might be better off picking and choosing; saving your money by picking up bits and pieces on the used market.

His DG M1 is a much better bargain than the Philips remake. It's budget priced, and it comes with "Blumine" in its orginal second movement position. It has good sound too. But then again, if you can find the box relatively cheap   .     .    . 

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 01:01:31 PM »
Another fan of Ozawa here.  I want to mention his Saito Kinen M9...another that ranks with the best.  His BSO M7 is indeed fantastic, with one of the best tenor horn solos in the first movement.

--Todd

Offline akiralx

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 03:30:58 PM »
The Saito Kinen Orch. M2 is better than the Boston one. Anyway, You might be better off picking and choosing; saving your money by picking up bits and pieces on the used market.

Another vote for the Saito Kainen M2, that is very good.  And actually available on SACD, from Japan...

Offline John Kim

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 06:07:46 PM »
IMO, the Ozawa/SKO M2nd is a better performance/recording than the Ozawa/SKO M9th. For some reason, the rehearsal time allowed for their concerts of the M9th didn't seem enough because the playing here, although it's good, is simply not on the same level as in the M2nd. I was at one of their M9 concerts in SF and can attest that it was excellent in every aspect. But this live recording was made in Japan before they started their touring in USA, and the ensemble isn't all that great. I prefer Ozawa's Boston recording. But make no mistake, Ozawa's concept and conducting in this recording are first rate, just as good as he was in Boston.

I wish NHK had made Ozawa's final concert of M9th in Boston available for commercial release. That was the best concert he ever delivered to the public.

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk