Author Topic: Haitink/RCO Live M4 - excellent sleigh bells! (good recording & performance too)  (Read 6069 times)

Offline barry guerrero

I picked up the new Haitink M4 on RCO Live. I'm more enthusiastic about this than my friend Dave Hurwitz was. Yes, it's true that Haitink is a bit stodgy during the development section of the first movement - leading up to its big climax. However, not only are the Concertgebouw's reallly cool sounding sleigh bells captured very realistically earlier on (and vividly too, as are the triangle and glockenspiel), but you can clearly hear all twenty-something tam-tam strokes leading to the fortissimo smash at the climax. The scherzo is nice and lively (less than 9 minutes), with the Concertgebouw's excellent woodwinds sounding fully warmed up, while the slow movement doesnt' drag either (less than 21 minutes). As to be expected, the tuning of the Concertgebouw's timpani at the slow movement's climax is right on the money (small point? Believe me, that's not always the case). The one quick passage in the slow movement - just a minute or so before the big climax -  is handled quite expertly as well. In the finale, Christine Schaefer's voice does seem different than I remember it sounding in previous years - it sounds a tad heavier and more operatic now. However, I certainly wouldn't describe her as sounding matronly; far from it. The last sudden orchestral outburst towards the end of the vocal movement is timed perfectly, and is really executed together - those cool sounding sleigh bells making their final effective appearance. To me, this is a real keeper! Now it's time for me to get up on my soap box:

Sorry to go against the grain, but I think that these RCO Live recordings sound far, FAR better than either the LSO Live or CSO Live series. Sorry again, but I just do not feel that James Mallinson makes great sounding recordings - far from it, infact. I reckon that a lot of that has to do with acoustics, which are far superior in Amsterdam than in London or Chicago. Anyway, I just received a copy of the CSO Live Bruckner 7th with Haitink - what a disappointment! If anything, it sounds even more stodgy and humorless than his Mahler 3. If you want the CSO on Bruckner 7, stick with Barenoboim. Thank goodness Haitink took his B-vitamin shot before tackling his latest M4.

Barry
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 06:17:53 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Awesome to hear about the sleigh bells and tam tam!

NOw I'm adding this to my to-get-soon list!

Boulez M8
Macal M7
Zinman M3
Haitink M4

(I just bought the Abbado M6 DVD...will watch soon)

--Leo
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 12:54:10 AM by Leo K »

Offline John Kim

Barry,

It looks like a very good M4th. Now, what about Haitink teaming up again with RCO for a recording of M9th, ah? Why hasn't he recorded another M9th yet? Is he thinking he cannot possibly surpass his 1969 analogue recording?

John,

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
I ended up downloading this one from eMusic and can't decide if I really need to purchase the SACD.  I agree with your assessments.  Some of the first movement lacks flexibility to my ears (I am guessing that is what you are calling stodgy), which is the same problem that Haitink has in his Chicago M3.  But as you mention, there are too many other things to like about this performance.  The tam-tams are exceptional.  The section in the adagio where the tempos continuously increase is done as well as any performance that I've heard.  This is one of the key sections of the entire symphony to me, where the heavenly music finally wins out over the earthly music.  It is the ability in this section to convey the fun and joy of heaven that makes the actual arrival in heaven convincing and meaningful.  And the arrival itself is quite overwhelming in this performance.  I also agree about Schaefer's voice.  It is not the perfect voice for the M4 finale, but she sings well and certainly does not sound matronly. 
Scott

Offline Ben

So how does this new M4 compare with the Chailly/RCOA M4?  I like the Chailly recording quite a bit, so is it worth picking up this new Haitink?

Ben

Offline barry guerrero

If you have the Chailly, you're fine. Barbara Bonney is clearly the better singer anyway. Haitink's tempi are generally faster than Chailly's, and I like that. But the differences aren't that great - not enough for you to have to run out and buy this. The sleigh bells are just as good on the Chailly.

Barry

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Well man oh man...this haitink M4 is incredible, and I can't stop listening to it (on my 4th listen)...and the production/sound is stunning.  I am impressed with everything here...the tempos, phrasing, the percussion (the percussion is so good this becomes one of my all time favorite Mahler recordings) and the RCO are so warm and free flowing.  The more I listen the more detail I notice that take my breath away.  I really prefer these faster M4's as I also have fallin' for the Boulez on DG.  The Macal, Boulez and now this Haitink M4 are all so stunning...the MTT is good too for variety and contrast.   Strange, but the soprano is never a deal breaker for me, but Christine Schaefer is so warm and subtle with her phrasing and sense of wonder...the tone of her voice is very moving.

--Todd

Offline John Kim

I can smell what this M4th is like... ;D

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Indeed!!!

The RCO play as if they are out in the beautiful open mountain air.  The flow and design of the performance balances grace and grounding, the "dream" feels anchored in present reality.  Such clear delineation of the score is always exciting, and here reaches great heights in living out this symphony, like a memory as real as yesterday.  Christine Schaefer's voice is ideal for me in the final movement...of all recent M4's this is my favorite soloist.  Bravo!

--Todd

Offline John Kim

OK, Enough :D. I will get it!!

To me an ideal M4th has not yet existed except for my recent exposure to MTT's marvelous version, so this might be the cup of tea. I liked Boulez's Cleveland recording but he seems to thinker a little too much in the first two movements. Or it may be the orchestra doing that.

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Yes, I like MTT's M4 too, and I think I'll revist again as its been awhile.

Regarding Boulez...I really love how the Cleveland Orchestra plays with subtle nuance...especially the strings in the 1st mov. and the solo horn in the Scherzo...Haitink's new RCO M4 also has a great horn player...but I've already said too much  ;)

--Todd

Offline John Kim

Finally got around the new Haitink/RCO M4th. Considering the playing and sound, it is the best of the lot. I like Haitink's way with the score too, especially in the great Adagio where he emphasizes the timpani and a rather brisk tempo. It is probably my top favorite now. If only they didn't include the accolade at the end ???...

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk