Author Topic: A Student Orchestra Mahler 9th  (Read 4208 times)

Offline AZContrabassoon

A Student Orchestra Mahler 9th
« on: November 19, 2015, 06:58:24 PM »
Last night I had the privilege of attending a performance of the Mahler 9th by the Arizona State University Symphony under guest conductor Karina Canellakis. She is an assistant conductor in Dallas and has done a lot of work all over the world. Maybe not now, but she will be a Mahler conductor of note in the future. I was amazed how this student orchestra played - sure there were a few gaffs, but the pros have problems, too. But it was exciting, moving, thrilling, and gut-wrenching at times. The conductor had a clear-headed approach to the score and built climaxes masterfully. And, she was able to produce a huge dynamic range, which is usually a challenge for amateurs. The only quibble was the 2nd movement was too fast - even at the beginning.

But it was the final page that made this so memorable. True pianissimos, beautiful balance in the string sections. The violas, who basically get the last word in, were somehow very poignant. But then comes the last chord. Being a violinist herself, the conductor brought the symphony to a peaceful quiet close that just faded into nothingness - like it should. Then she held the baton, the orchestra didn't move and the silence went on for 30-40 seconds. It was breathtaking. There wasn't a sound. No one clapped, talked, or even coughed. I think the audience responded to Mahler the way they should: they were deeply moved. It was a great experience. The ASU Symphony should be very proud. And learn the name: Karina Canellakis. You'll be hearing from her in the future.

So once again my theory on Mahler is confirmed: you don't need to have a world-class orchestra and a big-name conductor to make Mahler great. All you need is dedication, basic competence, and a vision: Mahler provides the rest.

Offline waderice

Re: A Student Orchestra Mahler 9th
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 03:00:23 AM »
Good concert critique!  Most of us may not readily remember the name of this conductor in the future, but you will.  Keep us apprised of her future endeavors!

Wade

Offline David Boxwell

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 09:10:57 PM »
Some of the very greatest Mahler performances have been done by student orchestras (Barshai's 5th, Rattle's 8th [on Youtube]).  No jaded, torpid professionals allowed!

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 09:11:32 PM »
.   .    .  and here I thought ASU was only known for cheerleaders!

I played in what may have been the first community orchestra to do Mahler symphonies 1 through 10 (supercharged Cooke) plus "DLvdE": The Redwood Symphony, which generally meets at Canada College in Redwood City, Ca. (pronounced "Canyada"). As far as I know, this orchestra had no paid 'ringers'. They do very ambitious programming.

http://www.redwoodsymphony.org/

Offline AZContrabassoon

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 03:35:50 PM »
Small world. About 20 years ago one community orchestra I played with was looking for a new conductor and Eric was one of the candidates. Had many interesting talks with him after rehearsals. His Redwood Orchestra is a very accomplished group - I still have a recording of Rite of Spring they did that is really excellent. I see they have Mahler 8th coming up in the spring.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 09:22:30 PM »
I'm second tuba on that "Rite of Spring" recording. Small world indeed.

It is a decent "Rite of Spring" but it's VERY edited. The recording took up most of an entire day.

Interesting enough, M8 is the one Mahler symphony that I didn't do with Redwood. I worry about any community orchestra, regardless of how good it might be, doing justice to all the logistical elements involved.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 09:25:27 PM by barry guerrero »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk