Author Topic: Has anyone been to Mahler's hauschen?  (Read 5872 times)

Offline alpsman

Has anyone been to Mahler's hauschen?
« on: July 11, 2008, 12:01:50 AM »
I see in another post(Plans for Der Mahler's Geburtstag? ), a great  photo by PT. of a hauschen of Sibelius.

So I want to question if you have gone to the hauschens and houses where Mahler lived and composed, and your feelings in there.

I have gone to Wortersee house(outside, it's not visitable), hauschen and the Tomblach hauschen and Mahlerstube( the Tomblach house is now small hotel and restaurant).
I also went to Steinbach amm Attersee,twice, but not found the hauschen.Instead i found a hotel where used to stay Schoenberg, and there is a signed photo of him.

The atmosphere was really increatible. In Toblach espesially, the hauschen is exactly like that time.
In Maria Worth there have been heavy reconstruction, so to use as museum. But it's very nice in the centre of a beautiful forest.
The house where mahler spent his summers from 1900 to 1907, has owenrs and you can not visit. But you can see the door where Mahler had some photos.

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Has anyone been to Mahler's hauschen?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 12:29:05 AM »
It's not the original hauschen. That got hauled off to the dump after a change of ownership. The current one is one those backyard storage sheds that you pick up at Home Depot or Orchard Supply Hardware. They'll install them for you. There's one that's actually called "The Mahler" model. The piano is also a rental. Kaplan didn't want to tell anybody, but he actually arranged the delivery and installation.

Seriously, I'd love to see ANY of them!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 12:34:23 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline alpsman

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 12:46:13 AM »
In the Worhtresee hauschen, which is a museum, there is a clerk who is one armed, he has only the right hand. I remember it's the right, because he takes pictures for us.
He told me that Bernstein carried a piano up there( not he alone of course) and stay a whole day to play.
I asked for some music to be heard in that beautiful forest and ask for M6 Andante. He put Solti. It was great to sit outside in the dusky forest and listen to these sounds, which born exactly there.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 12:57:03 AM »
A wonderful experience indeed!  :D

Polarius T

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 01:15:41 PM »
I see in another post(Plans for Der Mahler's Geburtstag? ), a great  photo by PT. of a hauschen of Sibelius.

Actually that was just his sauna... The living quarters are something else, more like a "burgchen":

The dining room:

Admittedly the place proved Sibelius' financial ruin, but still, if we compare this to Mahler's Toblach hut...:

So I'm also jealous of your travels, not just your concert experience. I've only seen his grave. Perhaps it's time to start planning for the next summer vacations anew.

PT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk