Author Topic: Glorious "Romantic" from Abbado.  (Read 10825 times)

Offline alpsman

Glorious "Romantic" from Abbado.
« on: July 25, 2008, 11:40:13 PM »
Something not related to Mahler.

I listen the new recording of Bruckner's 4th, with Abbado and Lucerne FO. The recording was made in October 2006 in Tokyo, and is available from the site of Lucerne festival.

This is absolutely a glorious, majestic and uplifting performance of this masterpiece. I am not going to describe in detail because I find everything perfect. This is no "Bruckner lite" Abbado. The sound, (dynamics, soundstage, timbre etc) is state-of- the- art. The execution is perfect, the articulation crystal-clear( now this is something, someone can mistake for "lite" performance). The climaxes are very well judged, with plenty of power reserved.
My only complain is that the first part of the concert has Brahms PC2 with Pollini.
I wish I was there or to have the whole concert in dvd.

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Glorious "Romantic" from Abbado.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 11:51:29 PM »
I have a burnt copy of this performance, and it truly is very good. I'm not sure that I consider it superior to my other two recordings of B4: Barenboim/CSO (DG) and Bohm/Vienna (Decca). I like those two very much. But it's certainly a tad better recorded. Anyway, I've always felt that Abbado sounded a bit more comfortable and spontaneous with Bruckner, than with Mahler. Still, I'm not about to run down Abbado's Mahler in general. My only thought is that Abbado ought to bloody-well be considered among the very top Mahler conductors; simply because he's been given multiple shots at them, with the biggest name orchestras on the planet. Something would be terribly wrong if he weren't one of the better ones. But yes, this is a good Bruckner 4th. That said, I do feel that the scherzo is just a tad fast for my own personal taste (I like Bohm's).

Barry
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 12:46:49 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline alpsman

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 12:14:57 AM »
I do feel that the scherzo is just a tad fast
Yes I agree, it is a little too fast and it doesn't gain in electricity. I think that it is the trio that Abbado takes too fast and not as peasant tune.
Also his first recording with VPO is very good and spectacularly recorded.

Polarius T

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 11:22:30 AM »
Yes, this is a stunningly good performance and recording, probably my Best of the Year selection (I'm still hesitating between this one, Abbado's new Mozart interpretations which are equally unique and, as you nicely point out, uplifting but otherwise extremely different in both blueprint and execution, and Pollini's superb Mozart concertos of late). It's quite dumbfounding to me how fabulous and fresh it actually can get with some of these old warhorses when those two remarkable musicians are at helm. Indeed their joint Brahms PC2 is one for the ages, even better heard live than on the recording which is impressive enough (the later remake is to be prioritized).

-PT
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 11:31:57 AM by Polarius T »

Offline chris

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 03:48:06 PM »
Something not related to Mahler.

I listen the new recording of Bruckner's 4th, with Abbado and Lucerne FO. The recording was made in October 2006 in Tokyo, and is available from the site of Lucerne festival.

I'm looking a the Lucerne (English) site and don't see this available anywhere - you wouldn't happen to have a link?

Offline alpsman

Offline chris

Offline Dave H

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 04:13:18 AM »
I have always found Abbado's Bruckner to be generally more successful than his Mahler. His Vienna 5th on DG is outstanding. He creates a real sense of flow without compromising the music's structural integrity (in other words, without imposing spurious ritards and weird dynamic adjustments, as he's prone to do elsewhere). I agree with Barry about the scherzo of the Fourth (unless you happen to be Barenboim/Chicago). Still, among Abbado's recent work, his Bruckner really stands out.

Dave H

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 10:30:50 PM »
Indeed their joint Brahms PC2 is one for the ages, even better heard live than on the recording which is impressive enough (the later remake is to be prioritized).

-PT

Yes, I love all of their partnerings on the Brahms and Beethoven Piano Concertos.  I probably like the energy in the earlier versions a little more than the more recent ones (which feature better sound).   
Scott

Offline akiralx

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 09:24:54 AM »
Indeed their joint Brahms PC2 is one for the ages, even better heard live than on the recording which is impressive enough (the later remake is to be prioritized).

-PT

Yes, I love all of their partnerings on the Brahms and Beethoven Piano Concertos.  I probably like the energy in the earlier versions a little more than the more recent ones (which feature better sound).   

Yes, the earlier Pollini/Abbado Brahms 2 is probably my favourite, the drive from the soloist is phenomenal.  The DG DVD is also excellent, with the 'young saracen' Abbado again - though the image and sound are sometimes slightly out of synch on my player. 

Isn't the earlier CD of #1 with Boehm?

Offline alpsman

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 12:42:16 PM »
Akiralx,
Yes the first concerto is with Bohm from 1979. The second with Abbado is from 1976.

As for the synchronicity of dvd, i have sometimes the same problem. Press the pause for a msecond and maybe it will fix.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 04:04:07 PM »
I have always found Abbado's Bruckner to be generally more successful than his Mahler. His Vienna 5th on DG is outstanding. He creates a real sense of flow without compromising the music's structural integrity (in other words, without imposing spurious ritards and weird dynamic adjustments, as he's prone to do elsewhere). I agree with Barry about the scherzo of the Fourth (unless you happen to be Barenboim/Chicago). Still, among Abbado's recent work, his Bruckner really stands out.

Dave H
As if they read Dave's comment on Abbado/VPO/DG Bruckner 5th ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRUCKNER-No-5-Claudio-Abbado-VPO-DG-German-Import_W0QQitemZ220263225537QQihZ012QQcategoryZ307QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is it worth paying $39.99?  :-[

John,

Offline alpsman

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 04:31:25 PM »
I never understand what happen with e-bay prices. Is Abbado's Bruckner out of print? If this is so try for a burn copy.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 05:15:41 PM »
I never understand what happen with e-bay prices. Is Abbado's Bruckner out of print? If this is so try for a burn copy.
Ok, so who has this CD??  :-*

John,

Offline alpsman

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 05:30:09 PM »
Ok, so who has this CD??

Do you want a copy? If so sent me a PM.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk