Author Topic: NYP/Eschenbach Bruckner 9  (Read 4986 times)

Offline Amphissa

NYP/Eschenbach Bruckner 9
« on: November 11, 2008, 09:03:43 PM »
I had occasion last Friday afternoon, November 7, to attend the "geriatric matinee" performance at Avery Fisher Hall. Our seats were just about perfect -- about 15 rows from the front, just a couple of seats left of center. Perfect for watching soloists. On this occasion, that particular advantage was less than ideal.

The program featured a preliminary test of endurance, Bang Bang performing a semblance of Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 1. We were treated to a pounding destruction of this early concerto, replete with Bang Bang's swooning, jumping, swaying, nodding, hand-waving to the orchestra, and nimble-fingered noodling. The second movement was interminable, Beethoven's cadenza endlessly compounded by all sorts of "creative" additions and deformities, and the entire final movement an outright outrage. Bang Bang gets my vote as Liberace's heir apparent. But the little old ladies seemed delighted by his antics and oblivious to the tortures inflicted on Beethoven's music. Their ovations encouraged an encore, a Chopin prelude.

The Bruckner was another matter altogether. I've attended many concerts by NYP, but never have I seen an orchestra this large. The large Avery Fisher stage was literally crammed full with musicians. I was surprised to see that concertmaster Glenn Dicterow was not on stage, but he was the only one of the principals I noticed absent.

Eschenbach's pacing in the first movement was middle of the road, solid, coherent. Other than an exposed flub in the woodwinds, the orchestra was in good form.

The Scherzo is my wife's most favorite piece of music *ever written*. To meet her lofty expectations performing this movement is high praise indeed, and they did. Perhaps just a tad slower than I would have liked, but still very fine indeed. It was obvious they had rehearsed this movement a lot, with pinpoint timing and no big flubs. I was rather surprised, with such swollen string sections, that the strings were so sharp.

The final movement was also a bit slower than I would have preferred. The horns were wobbly in a couple of spots during this movement. But movement was coherent and well thought through.

The big crescendos throughout the symphony, and especially during the final movement, were absolutely huge. I have attended hundreds of concerts over the years and I have *never* heard a symphony orchestra play this loud.

But in addition to the sheer volume, the eloquence of the performance was beautiful. The air during some of the quieter passages was so rarified that I found myself holding my breath, not wanting to disturb the fragile beauty with a stray breath. Tears leaked from my wife's eyes in some passages.

I must admit, I've not been a great admirer of Eschenbach in the past. He has always seemed to me a competent conductor and a middle-level musician in that role. He did not break new ground with this performance of Bruckner 9, but to his credit, he did not muck about with it and screw it up. I would say, though, that the nuances of Eschenbach's interpretation of the piece emphasized the "modern" affinities of the work rather than its romantic roots, which I for one appreciated and approved. And the NYP played as well as I've heard them. 

We were disheartened by the geriatric crowd, though. As the last note faded, they were on their feet, not to applaud, but making their way to the exits. I don't know if it was their lack of understanding of the piece, or weakened bladder control, or just elderly ennui, but only about a third of us applauded the fine effort of the orchestra.

I have attended only one previous concert performance of Bruckner 9, so I cannot compare it to a lot of previous "live" performances. But I've got at least one gazillion recordings, maybe two gazillion, of this great work, some of which are recordings of concert performances. This was a performance I'll not forget. Despite my little criticisms, this Bruckner was about as good as it gets in a concert hall.

"Life without music is a mistake." Nietzsche

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: NYP/Eschenbach Bruckner 9
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 11:25:17 PM »
Thank you much for that report...I've never heard Bruckner live...someday I would love to hear his 9th in concert...it is the one work (beside a Mahler 9th) that would get me back into a live music setting.

--Todd

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 05:36:44 AM »
My understanding is that Bruckner has never been an easy "sell" in N.Y. But your "elderly ennui" theory is probably quite accurate. Also, consider that this is a work that ends with quiet resolve, in major. The last movement could easily be described as the final, serious contemplations of an aging composer; and a very religious one at that. For many of those people, a work like this probably hits too close to home. Just enjoy the fact that you witnessed a great performance. Given the current condition of N.Y.'s string and brass sections, I'm not surprised that it was a good one.

Barry

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 03:44:29 PM »
My understanding is that Bruckner has never been an easy "sell" in N.Y.
Barry

Don't they have an expressway named after Bruckner in NYC? 

FWIW, I have Sunday matinee tix to the HSO.  Although there are a large number of older folks on Sundays, there are also a surprising number of young folks -- perhaps due to the fact that Sunday tickets are cheaper than the others (nights).  On the several occassions that I have attended multiple performances of the same program, it seems like the Sunday crowd whoops and hollers a lot more than on the other nights (of course, I help in that endeavor  ;D )
Scott

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 11:09:40 PM »
I found Amphissa's Bruckner 9/Eschenbach concert on a blog right here!

http://statework.blogspot.com/search/label/Bruckner

Just scroll down...The Celi B4 looks good here too...(links are in the "comments" sections)

--Todd

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 07:40:13 PM »
Wow...that is a great Bruckner 9  :o :o :o

Offline waderice

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 01:04:21 AM »
Consider that this is a work that ends with quiet resolve, in major. The last movement could easily be described as the final, serious contemplations of an aging composer; and a very religious one at that. For many of those people, a work like this probably hits too close to home. Just enjoy the fact that you witnessed a great performance.

Barry

Actually, the B9 as left by Bruckner was unfinished.  What you commonly hear as the end of the work is actually the end of the scherzo movement, though it does leave a feeling of finality, or conclusion.  There are sketches for the finale, which a couple of individuals (one that comes to mind is William Carragan) have worked with, adding material to connect the various sections that Bruckner had completed, but was unable to weave together when death intervened.  There was a recording of the B9 made by Inbal and Frankfurt in the '80's that has both the disjointed sections for the finale as left by Bruckner and Carragan's "completion".
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 01:06:31 AM by waderice »

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 06:27:04 AM »
Consider that this is a work that ends with quiet resolve, in major. The last movement could easily be described as the final, serious contemplations of an aging composer; and a very religious one at that. For many of those people, a work like this probably hits too close to home. Just enjoy the fact that you witnessed a great performance.

Barry

Actually, the B9 as left by Bruckner was unfinished.  What you commonly hear as the end of the work is actually the end of the scherzo movement, though it does leave a feeling of finality, or conclusion.  There are sketches for the finale, which a couple of individuals (one that comes to mind is William Carragan) have worked with, adding material to connect the various sections that Bruckner had completed, but was unable to weave together when death intervened.  There was a recording of the B9 made by Inbal and Frankfurt in the '80's that has both the disjointed sections for the finale as left by Bruckner and Carragan's "completion".

The B9 ends with the Adagio, not the Scherzo (I bet that was only a typo)  :o  :)  

P.S. Barry knows the B9 is unfinished!  :-X

--Todd
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 01:11:54 PM by Leo K »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk