Author Topic: Jansons/RCO M5th SACD to be released.  (Read 5992 times)

Offline John Kim

Jansons/RCO M5th SACD to be released.
« on: September 11, 2008, 04:46:54 AM »
No image...because I still don't know how to INSERT an image here (can anyone tell me?).

But believe me, Jansons/RCO M5th SACD will be on street soon.

I have a highest expectation about this recording coming from a fond memory of a live Jansons/PSO M5th concert in 90's.

That was one of two or three greatest Mahler concerts I ever heard.

John,

Polarius T

Re: Jansons/RCO M5th SACD to be released.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 12:37:54 PM »
No image...because I still don't know how to INSERT an image here (can anyone tell me?).

As a neophyte I'm eager to share everything I've just learned myself:

Paste the url in the text box/msg field first, then highlight it and click the 2nd item from left on the 2nd icon row from the top, top left of the text box (the one right below the italics symbol). (It says "insert image" if you keep your cursor over it.)

Or do it in reverse order which is a nanosecond quicker.

-pt

P.S. I'm still not through that Norrington M9 traversal. But a Mahler-meets-Vivaldi adagio sounds like a must hear. By the way, the conductor I favor in Vivaldi I also favor in Mahler these days (and he does two very different kinds of Vivaldi, in fact).
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 01:02:53 PM by Polarius T »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 02:57:45 PM »
Thanks to John, I have a burn-job of Jansons/Pittsburgh in M5. It's every bit as good as John claims. Let's hope that Jansons can repeat himself.

Barry

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 03:35:12 PM »
Barry,

Have you heard Janson's live M7th with RCA?

That too was a great concert. A very cogent and well structured reading with terrific playing (as usual). The first movt. was around 23.5 min. long, an ideal length for my taste.

I was hoping RCO would release a M7th by this team...but instead we'll get to hear their M5th first.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 07:20:59 PM »
John, I'm sure you mean RCO Live and not "RCA", right? And "nope", I haven't heard his 7th. I look forward to that (love the Concertgebouw in M7).

Offline je-b

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 08:16:27 PM »
I've always considered the Concertgebouw to be completely unmatched by any other orchestra when it comes to M5.
I loved the Chailly M5 with its super-idiomatic playing and I can't wait for the Jansons one!
"Ich leb' allein in meinem Himmel,
 In meinem Lieben, in meinem Lied!"

Offline John Kim

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 12:58:07 AM »
Here is hmv.co.jp link:

http://www.hmv.co.jp/product/detail/2787390

RCO Live

Gustav Mahler (1860-1911)
Symphony No. 5 [71:49]
I. Trauermarsch. In gemessenem Schritt. Streng. Wie ein Kondukt [12:24]
II. Sturmisch bewegt. Mit groster Vehemenz [15:01]
III. Scherzo, Kraftig, nicht zu schnell [18:40]
IV. Adagietto. Sehr langsam [09:16]
V. Rondo - Finale. Allegro [15:45]
+ Applause 00:30

Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra
Mariss Jansons, conductor

DSD Recording: 10/2007, 01/2008
Live at Concertgebouw, Amsterdam
SACD Hybrid
CD STEREO/ SACD STEREO/ SACD SURROUND (5.0)

Offline Psanquin

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 07:34:54 AM »
Thanks John

DSD Recording: 10/2007, 01/2008

::) Heavy editing  ;D Why then RCO Live?

The original concert was broadcast on the 21.X.2007, Concertgebouw, Amsterdam. I have reuploaded it.

http://rapidshare.com/files/145697932/RICHARD_STRAUSS_Don_Juan.mp3.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/145699179/MAHLER_Symphony_No._5_in_C_sharp_minor.mp3.html
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 07:38:52 AM by Psanquin »

Offline je-b

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 09:20:51 PM »
Wow, has anyone else listened to that Jansons / RCO M5 broadcast that Psanquin has thankfully linked to above? It sure has some interpretive touches you won't find in most about-average-M5s!  ;) The really slow brass chorale climax to mov. II for example (repeated again at unusually slow pace right before the very end of the symphony - I don't have a score at hand right now, sorry).
I must say I love the playing of the Concertgebouw just as much as I had expected I would. Granted, there are some lapses here and there (being a one-off live take), but this is really some exciting Mahler playing going on there! The brilliant silvery swirl generated by the percussion section still retains a character all its own. And oh, that solo trumpet taking each and every entry at full risk - I must say, I really, really like the overall feel and atmosphere of this broadcast. Can't wait for the official release!  :)
"Ich leb' allein in meinem Himmel,
 In meinem Lieben, in meinem Lied!"

Offline Psanquin

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 11:46:43 PM »
Thanks a lot for your interesting comments je-b

II for example (repeated again at unusually slow pace right before the very end of the symphony - I don't have a score at hand right now, sorry).

It is marked Pesante so strange as it sounds it seems correct to me. Zinman does something similar in his new recording.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 05:22:37 PM »
.    .     .   this is precisely why I want to hear the Zinman for myself. I have a burn-job of Jansons/Pittsburgh in M5, and I really like the protracted measures that we're talking about here. I just have a feeling that perhaps Jansons does this effect better than Zinman does. Regardless, I want to hear them both.

Barry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk