Author Topic: Levine/IPO M2nd CD(??)  (Read 7350 times)

Offline John Kim

Levine/IPO M2nd CD(??)
« on: November 30, 2010, 01:29:57 AM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/James-Levine-Mahler-Symphony-No-2-Resurrection-2cds-/250721867063?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item3a60301537

Wow! Looks pretty good! :o

Which label is this? I thought it looked like DG but ....

John,

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Levine/IPO M2nd CD(??)
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 08:39:30 AM »
That's got to be a made-up cover, don't you think? It appears to have a DG logo, but I can't tell for certain. At my mom's house, we only have Webtv as a computer, which is a DOS system device. I don't know if you can expand that cover or not. If it were truly a DG, it should be listed with all of the other hundreds of Universal Mahler titles at the DG website. Let us know if you crack this case.

Offline brunumb

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 08:59:24 AM »
It's actually a release from Helicon Classics.

Quote from the link below :
"The results of this collaboration between The IPO and Helicon Music will allow music lovers around the world to enjoy many previously unreleased recordings from The IPO's archives as well as live recordings of selected concerts, and Helicon Music is proud to have been chosen as the The IPO's partner in this project."

http://www.heliconclassics.com/

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 12:19:53 AM »
I'd say that that's a hell of a con.   ;)

Offline hrandall

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 04:32:44 PM »
Did anyone ever listen to this Levine / Israel Philharmonic M2? It's available on Amazon US, CD or digital download. Impressions?

Best,
Herb

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 06:49:31 PM »
Little organ and weird balances. Not recommendable in my book.

Offline hrandall

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 08:21:16 PM »
Thanks, Barry. You just saved me $23.54 at Amazon. :)

Best,
Herb

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 09:45:20 PM »
Some time ago I found these two live aircheck recordings in one of the darker corners of the Internet:

1) Mahler 2, Levine/Boston, October 2010. A perfectly fine recording of what must have been a thrilling concert to hear live.

2) Mahler 8, Levine/Boston, October 2004 (Levine's inaugural concert as music director). A less-satisfactory but still adequate recording of a slightly "loose" performance I've not yet made up my mind about.

Add these to the recent Sony box and the elusive complete Levine Mahler cycle obtains.

James
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 02:56:34 AM by James Meckley »
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline Roffe

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 05:05:42 AM »
Some time ago I found these two live aircheck recordings in one of the darker corners of the Internet:

1) Mahler 2, Levine/Boston, October 2010. A perfectly fine recording of what must have been a thrilling concert to hear live.

2) Mahler 8, Levine/Boston, October 2004 (Levine's inaugural concert as music director). A less-satisfactory but still adequate recording of a slightly "loose" performance I've not yet made up my mind about.

Add these to the recent Sony box and the elusive complete Levine Mahler cycle obtains.

James

I second James that the BSO/Levine M2 is definately a keeper. (Review at http://www.classicalsource.com/db_control/db_concert_review.php?id=8587)

You might also want to add his Berlin PO DLvdE with Jessye Norman and Siegfried Jerusalem to obtain a full Mahler symphony cycle.
It is available at Amazon.com.

Roffe
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 05:09:46 AM by Roffe »

Offline brunumb

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 05:11:22 AM »
I second James that the BSO/Levine M2 is definately a keeper.

Any suggestions as to how one might come by this performance Roffe?

Offline John Kim

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 05:42:32 AM »
I seem to have heard that the Levine/BSO M2nd was recorded for a future release.

I heard a Levine/BSO M3rd and that one was faaaaaaaantaaaaaastic!!

Did they ever play M9th in Boston?

John,

Offline Roffe

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 01:47:05 PM »
I second James that the BSO/Levine M2 is definately a keeper.

Any suggestions as to how one might come by this performance Roffe?

Sorry, I really don't know. I got it from a friend, who had downloaded it from somewhere on the Internet. Maybe somebody else know where to find this.

Roffe

Offline Damfino

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 01:40:34 PM »
I bought the Levine IPO M2 from Amazon; listened to it once, and then resold it on Amazon. I really didn't care for it. The recording is IMO poor, or I should say, poorly miked and/or mixed, as I kept hearing instruments in the forefront that should have blended in with the orchestra. While Christa Ludwig does well for a 60 year old, she sounds a little...old. In the finale, I felt the orchestra was definitely overshadowing the chorus. There may have been a good performance at that concert if you were in attendance @ the concert; but if so, I did not feel the recording captured it.

It's not the worst M2 I've heard. But I have many recordings of M2 that I like a lot and could not see myself revisiting this one. Levine completists may like it. Christa Ludwig fans may get a kick out of hearing her live in her 60's. I really like Levine's Mahler in the other symphonies he's done. I hope the Boston performance will one day see the light of day.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 06:50:37 PM by Damfino »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk