Author Topic: Inbal/Mahler 7/Czech Philharmonic  (Read 6818 times)

Offline ChrisH

Inbal/Mahler 7/Czech Philharmonic
« on: October 29, 2014, 03:27:30 PM »
A few quick thoughts on this disc.

Inbal gives a very musical reading of the 7th. Similar to Zinman, but much darker and more rustic in sound and, very mature. The tempos are fairly unified through out the movements, but it doesn't feel that way. He actually speeds up the central section of the 1st movement, while keeping the march sections at a nice march tempo before and after. Inbal almost sounds as if he's being very literal with the score, but it's more romantic without over doing it.

The middle three movements are very, very good with the winds stealing the show. This recording has some of the most idiomatic Mahler playing I've heard to date. The sarcasm, irony, sexiness, and all shades of humor are readily apparent. The 2nd Nachtmusik may be a tad slow for some, again, though it doesn't drag and flows quite nicely. It comes across to me as being more middle-aged romance, then young love.

The finale clocks in at just under 17 minutes. Inbal really holds the nuttiness back until this point. He really lets go here and is very successful in this. The structure of the movement is also very clear in Inbals hand, he's very deft in not letting it turn into a mess. He gives us the light of day.

The recorded sound is top notch except for one problem, you can hear Inbal singing on the podium. Not all of the time, but it's enough to annoy slightly.

I would recommend this recording, except that it is a bit pricey and it ships from Japan. I like that this disc is almost a throwback to the older Mahler tradition, but it's not quite there. It rides a fine line between texture/transparency and dark/lush romanticism. And, hearing the Czech winds play Mahler is always worth it, at least in my opinion.

Now it's time to serve the drunks!

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Inbal/Mahler 7/Czech Philharmonic
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 05:57:52 PM »
Sorry about your family (just kidding!). ANYWAY, this happens to be my personal favorite among all my recordings of Mahler 7. My only dislike is the simple fact that it's on two discs. I like Inbal's conducting just a tiny tad more on his earlier Frankfurt one on Denon, but the combination of him and the Czech Phil. is pretty darn hard to beat. I actually got a Japanese book store to order my copy from Japan, so I do think it came out a tad cheaper than buying it from HMV Japan. I'm glad you like this recording - it's too expensive not to!

Barry

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 09:39:08 PM »
I have a large family of drunks. I own a bar! If anyone comes in and talks Mahler or Wagner with me, free drinks ensue! Only happened once, in 5 years.

I picked this up through an Amazon seller. It was under 50 bucks with shipping. Worth every damned cent, in my opinion.
If you've not heard the 5th with the same forces, it's very, very good as well. Expensive, but again, worth it for me.

I also think I need to have another go with his recording of the 8th and the Tokyo Met Orchestra, and may pick up his 3rd too.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 06:02:25 AM »
He's a very fine Mahler conductor whom I've often times overlooked. His Denon cycle came out pretty much around the same time as most of the Bertini/Cologne one, which I liked just a tad more. That Denon cycle should get picked up by somebody - maybe Warner Classics - and get reissued at a lower price. Actually, it would be a perfect candidate for the ultra-affordable Brilliant Classics label.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 07:11:36 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline akiralx

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 02:17:03 AM »
That Denon cycle should get picked up by somebody - maybe Warner Classics - and get reissued at a lower price. Actually, it would be a perfect candidate for the ultra-affordable Brilliant Classics label.

They're ahead of you...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mahler-Complete-Symphonies-1-10-Lied/dp/B00008Q03A/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1414721551&sr=1-1&keywords=mahler+inbal

It has been also released in a 15 CD box from 'Classic Mania', there is one on eBay.

I'm wondering what Inbal's Tokyo MSO Exton recordings are like?  He did a M7 among others (was it a complete cycle?)  I do like Bertini's Tokyo M9.

Offline SteelyTom

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 04:01:08 PM »
As a longtime fan of Inbal's Frankfurt RSO cycle, and especially of his Seventh (perhaps the standout recording in the cycle), I was just about the pull the trigger for his CPO re-do when….  I find I've now got to decide between Prague and Tokyo.

Oy.

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 10:31:43 PM »
To my ears the Czech recording is a little more laid back, and a bit more wild. The TMSO recording is much more direct and polished. They are both very good.  Honestly, I think you would be happy with either one. The sound quality of both discs is also excellent. It's really toss-up to me.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 08:46:42 AM »
There's something psychological (?) about having a really good recording by the orchestra that premiered the work. I suppose that doesn't mean much because we're several generations removed from that time, and the orchestra probably sounds completely different now. I'm not even sure that the hall it was premiered in even exists now. Still   .    .    .   
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 05:04:04 PM by barry guerrero »

Offline SteelyTom

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 12:50:13 PM »
I agree, Barry, though no doubt too much can be made of performance history/traditions.  I suppose the Czech PO is really the central European orchestra par excellence.  It's enough to make you nostalgic for the good old days of the Habsburgs.

Inbal seems determined to stay under the radar and build a reputation as a cult figure, or as the favorite Mahler conductor of the audiophile crowd. 

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 05:11:26 PM »
They have great woodwinds in the CPO, a solid, 'keep it simple' percussion department (the kitchen). The last time I heard them, which was just two months ago, even the strings sounded excellent.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk