Author Topic: DH gives a hearty 9/8 for Sinopoli/Staatskapelle Dresden M9th CD  (Read 4294 times)

Offline John Kim

GUSTAV MAHLER
Symphony No. 9
RICHARD STRAUSS
Death and Transfiguration

Staatskapelle Dresden

Giuseppe Sinopoli

Profil- 07004(CD)
Reference Recording - Symphony: Karajan II (DG); Ancerl (Supraphon); Death: Kempe (EMI)

These performances, captured shortly before Sinopoli's untimely death, make a fine memento of his art. His commercial recording of Mahler's Ninth was a decadent mess: slow, heavy, flaccid, and cavernously recorded to boot. This performance also is extremely slow--more than 90 minutes in fact--with a finale that seems to go on forever. But the playing of the Staatskapelle Dresden has so much more color, rhythm, and clarity that it makes all the difference. The first movement in particular now has shape and structure, with real impact at the climaxes. The first scherzo limps along with appropriate awkwardness, and Sinopoli successfully differentiates the three basic tempos. I do wish the Rondo: Burleske had more bite and sheer excitement, but it's certainly not tame, and the Dresden strings sustain the slow tempo in the finale very well indeed.

Sinopoli's New York recording of Death and Transfiguration possibly was the slowest version of that work on disc: slower even than Celibidache's rendition. This one is a couple of minutes quicker, and it's all to the good. Of course this was and remains an incomparable Strauss orchestra, and while I prefer Kempe's lighter and fleeter view of the music with the same ensemble, Sinopoli certainly manages a resplendent projection of the "transfiguration" episodes. The sonics in both performances are very good, with horns and winds sometimes a touch backward, but warm and natural even so.

Certainly these highly individual interpretations won't be to all tastes, but especially in the Mahler Sinopoli's quirks never turn into annoying mannerisms, and the superiority of the orchestral execution goes a long way toward selling the concept. Yes, he takes some big risks, but here at least they pay off.

--David Hurwitz

Frankly, I liked Sinopoli's DG recording with Phiharmonia Orch. much better than DH. It had quirks and strange tempo shifts but they all more or less worked fine. And the recording was beautiful.

John,

Offline je-b

Re: DH gives a hearty 9/8 for Sinopoli/Staatskapelle Dresden M9th CD
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 09:38:22 AM »
I'm really extremely surprised by this review. I would have bet he'd absolutely hate this "new" Sinopoli M9.
Well, maybe I'm the only one who doesn't like it...  ???
"Ich leb' allein in meinem Himmel,
 In meinem Lieben, in meinem Lied!"

Offline barry guerrero

Re: DH gives a hearty 9/8 for Sinopoli/Staatskapelle Dresden M9th CD
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 09:20:23 AM »
JE-B,

The fact that David gave this a 9/8, doesn't indicate that he particularly likes it very much. He had to review it objectively for those folks who may like their M9s to be consistantly slow. Afterall, Mahler didn't place any metronome markings. Also, if you look at it carefully, you'll see that much of the praise is going to the Dresden Staatskapelle, as opposed to Sinopoli's slow conducting. You also have to consider the "Tod und Verklraerung" that's included. I seriously doubt that D.H. would put this on very often.

Barry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk