Author Topic: What to do in Vienna?  (Read 5504 times)

Offline nickmolland

What to do in Vienna?
« on: July 04, 2010, 09:41:40 PM »
Hello all

I'm going to be in Vienna for a few days later in the month and I see from the the Tourist Office that there a couple (at least) of centenary exhibitions on at the moment, but are there any other recommendations people can make? I can't see any Mahler performances (not surprising at the end of July, I guess), but am I missing anything else? Is it worth going out to Grinzing to pay my respects? Any particularly good cd shops? Obviously I'll try to check out the Opera and other relevant spots - as well as engaging in non-Mahler related activities, of course!

Thanks for any suggestions,

Nick

Offline waderice

Re: What to do in Vienna?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 11:36:58 PM »
Most things musical are now out at Salzburg at the annual Festival.  I went out to Grinzinger Friedhof (cemetery) many years ago while on a visit to Vienna and paid my respects to Mahler then.  I placed a red rose on his grave as per his Wunderhorn song, "Urlicht" from the Second Symphony.  Most definitely, it is worth the time to go out there if you are a Mahler devotee.

Wade

Offline Eric Nagamine

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 12:29:38 AM »
A tour of the Staatsoper is a must. The Rodin bust of Mahler is usually there.  The ride out to the Grinzing cemetary on the tram is a nice ride. You can stop off and visit the schubert haus. Ask at the entrance of the cemetary for directions. Alma is a row or two behind Gustav. Afterwards, you can go on to a Grinzing Heuriger for some wine.

The following has info on Mahler events put out by the IGMG: (There's an exhibit on Gustav in Vienna currently going on)
http://www.gustav-mahler.org/mahler/events-f-e.cfm

http://www.austria.info/us/home/150-years-gustav-mahler-1249537.html

Eric

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 11:00:25 AM »
Yes, by all means, take the Strassenbahn out to Grinzing; visit Mahler's grave; take a stroll pass the outdoor wine tables (Heurigen), and continue on into the Wienerwald (not to be confused with the chain of chicken restaurants by the same name). Thoughts of Beethoven, Schubert, Bruckner, Mahler, and all of the other boys, will come to you out there. If you're with a beautiful girl, thoughts of the adult versions of the "Heidi" movies might suddenly come to you  ;). Anyway, I believe that you can continue all the way to the big cathedral and monastery at Melk, but that would be quite a hike. It's a beautiful Rococo style cathedral - well worth seeing.

Back in town, I would say to avoid many of the usual claptraps - especially in summer - and take a taxi or bus to see the outrageous Kirche am Steinhof, designed by the amazing Otto Wagner. For some reason, they keep this church off the usual Vienna tours. Regardless, I think it's my favorite church on the entire planet!

As a primer on what Vienna was like after WWII - and when the city was still occupied by the four victorious allied nations (the famous, "four in a jeep" period) - I would urge you to take a look at Carol Reed's "The Third Man", staring Orson Welles and Joseph Cotton.

By "usual claptraps", I would include The Hofburg; St. Stephensdom (cathedral); the Staatsoper (unless a good production of a good opera happens to be on); any "blue" Danube tours; and most certainly Schoenbrunn. I would, however, take a look at the Klimt paintings at the Lower Belvedere - assuming that there still are some Klimt paintings there. Regardless, both the upper and lower Belvedere are far more interesting to look at than Schoenbrunn (a tacky, mini Versailles - equally excessive).

I haven't been to Wien since 1980, and the Secession building was closed to the public. It's been fixed up and reopened to the public since then. However, I don't think that the Beethoven Frieze - the one that shows Mahler as a Teutonic knight - is on permanent display there. Maybe it is. Anyway, go see it!

In general, I would avoid most everything that is baroque period, and chase after architecture and art that was affiliated with the Austrian brand of Art Nouveau, known locally as Jugendstil. That was the period of Mahler, Klimt, Otto Wagner, Alfred Loos, and many other turn-of-the-century Viennese artists, architects, writers, playwrights (Arthus Schnitzler), etc. If any tour has Johann Strauss music accompanying it, avoid it!!!

I'll finish by saying that deep in my middle age, Vienna and Los Angeles (sans smog) are my two most favorites cities on the entire planet - what little of it I know it, that is. To me, it's no mystery that so many of the Jewish emigres from the Hitler period settled in L.A.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 11:06:31 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline GL

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 01:09:24 PM »
I would add the Kapuzinergruft, where Absburgs are buried and (if there is a good exhibition) the Leopold Museum (in the Museumsquartier, where you can eat cheaply-try the Kantine).
I think Klimt paintings are hosted at the Hoch Belvedere-anyway the Belvedere must be in every list of places that must be seen in Vienna. Mahler used to take a walk in the Belvedere's park and in the Stadtpark (near Schwarzenbergplatz). Near the entrance of the Belvedere (more or less in front of it) there is Auenbruggergasse, where Mahler lived from 1898 onwards.

Hear a Mahler's Symphony at the Musikverein or a Beethoven piano Sonata at the Theather an der Wien (as I was lucky to do) would be nice. A giant screen has been installed in the square next to the Staatsoper (Herbert von Karajan-platz): you can take a free seat and enjoy what's going on stage at the opera. Last year they "broadcast" Tosca, the entire new production of the Ring, Manon (Massenet)...

The exhibition curated by IGMG is very educational, but at least you can admire several autographs and some "holy relic" (Mahler's baton, his death mask, the shirt he wore when he died).

Complete Mahler places in Vienna:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=113186102655755032664.00044671d15884dc62ded&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=48.228103,16.369629&spn=0.111382,0.338516&z=12

http://www.wien.info/en/music-stage-shows/city-of-music/mahler-places (Haus der Musik could be defined a "Claptrap". Anyway, it is not a Mahler place)

Readings: Joseph Roth's "The Emperor's tomb (Kapuzinergruft)" and "The Radetzky March". Stephan Zweig's "The world of yesterday". Works of Karl Kraus, Artur Schnitzler and, if you're an adventurous type, siegmund Freud could be interesting readings.

I'm sure you will fall in love with this city!

Best regards,
Luca

P.S.

Don't forget to taste the Wiener Schnitzler!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk