Author Topic: What's the deal with the Kubelik cycle (DG)?  (Read 8889 times)

Offline chalkpie

What's the deal with the Kubelik cycle (DG)?
« on: September 16, 2010, 02:11:52 PM »
Who has it? Decent? Hits or misses? Pros? Cons?

I dig the M2 and M7 at the mahler150 site. It's on my radar now.

Thanks!

Offline barry guerrero

Re: What's the deal with the Kubelik cycle (DG)?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 02:42:36 PM »
Very fast, and slightly "light" in terms of orchestral weight. But the textures are remarkably clear, and with outstanding balances between the different sections of the orchestra. In general, the Kubelik cycle strikes me as being very musical. The cons are that there isn't a huge amount of dynamic range, nor a lot of front-to-back depth to the recordings. The 8th is rather limited in its dynamic range, but it also has THE BEST cast of vocalists of any. In general, it's better played than the early Abravanel cycle, but not as well recorded. On the whole, I vastly prefer the Kubelik cycle to the over-hyped Solti. Nor are there any blatant dull spots that sometimes plagues various moments of Haitink's earliest cycle. Among early recorded Mahler cycles, only the Bernstein is truly better from first to last. That said, Kubelik actually has the better M5. You might want to go for the Audite recordings, which were taken from "live" performances. Interpretatively, they're remarkably similar to the DG ones.

Offline chalkpie

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 03:00:12 AM »
Very helpful - thanks Barry

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 05:24:29 PM »
I like the M1, M2, M4, M7, and M9 in the set. Kubelik's M2nd was one of my first encounters for this symphony and still takes a spot near the top of my list. Ditto the M9th.

All of the studio recordings are more or less the same as the live ones available on Audite.

John,

Offline BeethovensQuill

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 07:48:30 PM »
The M4 from this set is a stand out for me, the Kubelik and the Fischer being my favourite M4's. and i quite enjoy the M3 and M5.  Likewise i was in the same position as John that Kubelik M2 was my 1st encounter with M2 and i still think the singing of Mathis and Proctor are heavenly.

Offline vvrinc

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 04:19:54 PM »
Many are great performances but all are in dire need of remastering.

Offline Roland Flessner

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 03:29:19 AM »
I need to reacquaint myself with some of the individual performances, but on the whole this is a strong set. Kubelik was congenitally incapable of phoning it in. Even where I disagree with his approach, he conducts persuasively. For example, he blazes through the first movement of M6 in 21:07 (with the repeat!) but somehow it just works.

Yes, the sound is a bit dry and dated, but inner voices register with unusual clarity. And, Kubelik divided the violin sections antiphonally throughout the set, which I think is always helpful in Mahler. Solti's CSO recordings sound opaque by comparison.

Recently, during an obsession with M8, I put on Kubelik thinking that the sound would be a joke compared to newer versions, and that I would just play the first few minutes. I was riveted from the first note and played the whole symphony without a break. This recording has always been noted for the excellence of the soloists, among its many virtues.

As a footnote, I think the first real orchestra concert I heard was Kubelik with "The Bavarian Symphony Orchestra of Munich" in Peoria in October of 1968. I was thirteen, and I managed to get Kubelik's autograph. On the program: Haydn 104, Double Concerto for Two String Orchestras, Piano and Tympani by Martinu (a work I adore to this day) and the Franck Symphony.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 08:38:29 AM »
Wow, great story! Thanks for sharing.

Barry

Offline akiralx

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 12:12:01 AM »
Sorry to resurrect this thread - I am actually considering getting the new Kubelik symphony box which includes his complete Mahler: quite a bargain, hopefully remastered.  I have only heard the M3 before, which I have on a Japanese SACD.  At least it will give me a reason to seek out the original Klimt coverart online for my iPod...

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 04:41:41 PM »
If you get this set, will you post about any noticeable differences in the sonics, please? I'm wondering if it will get the Emil Berliner Studios treatment (?).  It seems that all of the reissues DG makes these days do.

Offline akiralx

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 01:34:39 AM »
I just relistened to the Third and was not so impressed so probably won't get it.  The cycle undoubtedly will have its merits but I think we have progressed in Mahler interpretation/performance since then.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 03:26:03 PM »
I agree. The 3rd isn't among the best of the Kubelik cycle.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2014, 06:05:49 PM »
Hey, funny you should mention Kubelik again at this time , because I see that DG is issuing a 23 cd budget box of Kubelik's complete Beethoven, Dvorak, Schumann and Mahler. Now THAT'S a box worth considering.

http://www.amazon.com/Symphony-Robert-Schumann/dp/B00IZ11XA2/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1401041098&sr=1-1&keywords=kubelik+symphony+edition

Offline akiralx

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 01:01:36 AM »
Yep, that is the one I was thinking of getting.  I used to have the Dvorak and still have most of the Beethoven (the latter recorded with 9 different orchestras - there is a wonderful Pastoral in there with the Orchestre de Paris)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk