Author Topic: What would be your (perhaps sentimental) choice to enjoy on Mahler's birthday?  (Read 4349 times)

Offline Constantin

Of course, it's nearly impossible to choose among Mahler's works, but today, to celebrate his birthday, what are some suggested choices here at the GMB?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 04:47:34 PM by Constantin »
Und ruh' in einem stillen Gebiet

Offline Penny

Sorry to be a bit late with this response, and while it’s really difficult to choose, one piece seems to leap out at me, “Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen”, which Mahler himself described to Natalie as “my very self”.  (It hasn’t escaped my notice that you’ve put a quote from this at the bottom of your posting!)

Offline barry guerrero

I thought about that. I had a busy day, so I didn't do any listening. But I did do some quiet reading from the Fischer biography at bed time. I was out like a light within twenty minutes. This seemed to be a really low key birthday for Mahler.

Offline Sturmisch Bewegt

As I was listening to Weber der Freischütz I got the idea to venture into "die drei Pintos" that I did not know at all. Lovely music.

In the middle of the "entracte", I noticed a short clarinet - bassoon motive  which sounded familiary to my ears. After a while I reminded. There is the same motive at the very end of the second Nachtmusik of M7.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 08:30:10 PM by Sturmisch Bewegt »

Offline Constantin

Die Drei Pintos is a piece few of us have heard, even though of course it was Mahler who accepted the commission from the Weber family to complete Carl Maria's work.

I'll look for it, and listen for it in M7.

Thanks!

Und ruh' in einem stillen Gebiet

Offline barry guerrero

I know that I'm charlatan for saying this (and as so astutely pointed out by Da Capo, who's since been banished for his total lack of tact), but I just can't 'get into' "Die Drei Pintos". Yes, it's all very light fluff, and I'm sure Mahler did an outstanding job of piecing it together (made a ton of money from it too), but I just can't sit through it. I've tried.

Offline Sturmisch Bewegt

Perhaps the best passages of "Die drei Pintos" are those I found on You Tube. I found them interesting enough to try the entire piece.

Mahler's signature is perceptible in the "entracte" orchestration .

Offline barry guerrero

Thanks. I'll try the Youtube excerpts.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk