Author Topic: What is your single "must-have on a desert island" work besides Mahler?  (Read 11044 times)

Offline John Kim

For me it's

Barenboim/CSO/DG Bruckner Symphonies set

No other conductor has proved to be so consistently engrossing, direct but full of fresh touches and with keen sense of structure. Aided by great playing by the Chicago brass, Barenboim's Bruckner sounds as if the recordings came directly from the composer's head. No single symphony in this set is a dud, but I particularly love the B0, B1, B3, B5, B6, B8. For me this B6th is hands down the greatest. Guess I am making a bold statement here but I could live well with it if somebody tells me that's the only thing I can bring to the island (not w/o the Mahler items hidden in my bag though ;D).

John,

« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 08:07:36 AM by John Kim »

Offline mister bob

Now this is an easy one! 'Kind of Blue' by Miles Davis.  It has everything - beautiful playing, hypnotic rhythms, style, some great tunes, and, of course, it swings.  A quite perfect work of art, with a stunning group of musicians.  Unforgettable.

john haueisen

I'd want Barenboim's Ring.  After Mahler, there's nothing like Wagner to find something new each time you hear it again.

Polarius T

Varies a bit from day to day:

In terms of a work, St. Matthew Passion by Klemperer (on EMI).

In terms of solo instrumental performance, the Bach Partitas disc by Mullova (Philips) or LvB's last sonatas by Pollini (DG).

In terms of chamber group performance, LvB's last quartets by either Lasalle Quartet (DG) or Quartetto Italiano (Philips).

In terms of orchestral performance, somewhat reluctantly (there is not enough in the composition or the composer to justify the choice, but in the amazing performance there for sure is), the new Bruckner 4th recording by Abbado and the Lucerne Festival Orchestra (http://e.lucernefestival.ch/platform/apps/shop/index.asp?MenuID=2849&Menu=13&ID=127&Item=10.6&page=detail&artId=4627).

In terms of a contemporary piece (funny that we still feel this must go to a separate category), either Birtwistle's Pulse Shadows (Teldec) or something by Gyorgy Kurtag -- perhaps the perfect miniatures in the "Works for Soprano" disc from Hungaroton.

With these one could live a long rewarding life even in solitude and with nothing else to do all day long.

PT
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 05:55:35 PM by Polarius T »

Offline Jeff Wozniak

Definitely Beethoven.  After a few thousand hours of agonizing over which one to take it would probably be the Takacs Quartet's recording of the late string quartets.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 07:03:33 PM by Jeff Wozniak »

Polarius T

For me it's

Barenboim/CSO/DG Bruckner Symphonies set

The DG set? I've been meaning to fill a gap and get a Barenboim B2, but thought the Teldec set was the obvious place to look into, for the sound and the maturity.

PT
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 10:34:53 PM by Polarius T »

Offline John Kim

Polarius,

Yes, I mean the DG set, NOT the Teldec one. I am a minority that prefers Barenboim's former Bruckner traversal. I'll delve into the comparison at a later time.

John,

Polarius T

Thanks, I'd be grateful for tips for a fine B2, and Barenboim is often excellent but regrettably underrepresented in my listening praxis.

PT

Offline akiralx

Thanks, I'd be grateful for tips for a fine B2, and Barenboim is often excellent but regrettably underrepresented in my listening praxis.

PT

Barenboim on Teldec is poor for B2, unusually because he is normally inspired - his B9 from that second cycle is my favourite for the work. 

You may wish to read my survey of B2s from my review of the Simone Young SACD:

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/4461

Offline John Kim

If I may add one more item, it will be

Slatkin/SLO/RCA/Shostakovich 4th Symphony

This is an utterly convincing performance of Shosy's most enigmatic but powerful and poignant symphony that emphasizes its symphonic structure and argument.

The playing and sound of the orchestra is simply amazing.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

hey John, Victor Carr just gave the Slatkin Shsosty #4 a 10/10 review at Classicstoday! Here's what he said:

Leonard Slatkin recorded only a handful of Shostakovich symphonies for RCA, of which this Fourth is the finest. Indeed, it's one of the best performances of this work on disc. Slatkin's highly idiomatic reading emphasizes musical values--propulsive rhythms, piercing accents, bold colors, fully fleshed-out textures, and perfectly gauged tempos--over exaggerated emotion, and the result is a powerfully affecting performance. The opening movement launches boldly: right away the first climax, with brazen brass, generates terrific energy, and it's all captured by RCA's vivid and detailed recording (which needs to be played at high volume to get its full impact). Even more impressive is the string fugato near the end of the development, which the St. Louis strings negotiate magnificently despite Slatkin's frantic pace.

In the sardonic scherzo Shostakovich's myriad instrumental effects express themselves with uncommon clarity; the woodwinds sound especially perky here, and also in the finale's rollicking dance episodes. Indeed, the entire St. Louis Symphony turns in a virtuoso performance, equaling if not surpassing the Chicago Symphony with Previn. Of course, such perfection and polish are not the only ways to do the Shostakovich Fourth--some listeners may prefer the raw, edgy playing style of Järvi and the Scottish National Orchestra, or the near-militaristic virtuosity of the USSR Ministry of Culture Symphony for Rozhdestvensky. But for an experience of sheer orchestral opulence Slatkin's version can't be beat. Available through Arkivmusic.com's on-demand service.

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
I've thought long and hard on this question, and I strongly feel I would bring this set to an island:

Abbado's BPO Brahms is a revelation to me, and I have loved these recordings for years...

--Todd

Polarius T

I've thought long and hard on this question, and I strongly feel I would bring this set to an island:

Abbado's BPO Brahms is a revelation to me, and I have loved these recordings for years...

--Todd

A brilliant choice. These are special performances, so very exquisite and luminous and with a recorded sound to match. Not just best imaginable Brahms performances but about as good as it gets in general. Like you say, they never cease to captivate, amaze, and inspire.

PT

Polarius T

I am a minority that prefers Barenboim's former Bruckner traversal. I'll delve into the comparison at a later time.

Thx, would love to hear more if that comparison ever materializes. -PT

Polarius T

Barenboim on Teldec is poor for B2, unusually because he is normally inspired - his B9 from that second cycle is my favourite for the work. 

You may wish to read my survey of B2s from my review of the Simone Young SACD:

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/4461

Thanks for pointing this out. I really will have to look into it as I don't recall the B2 being a favorite among my favorite conductors!

PT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk