Author Topic: Which is Mahler's most difficult movt. to bring off?  (Read 16668 times)

Polarius T

Re: Which is Mahler's most difficult movt. to bring off?
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2008, 05:51:36 PM »
...discussion of performance necessarily begins with an acknowledgment of WHAT the text says (and not whether one should invariably follow it to the letter or not--a silly and pointless argument since no one does it and all performance entails a measure of individual interpretation).

True, but my point was only that our understanding of what that text says obviously changes with time, through advancement of both musical and music-historical knowledge and increase in performance skills and techniques, as we get a better understanding of what those notes and markings mean, both as such and in relation to one another: what the composer actually wanted to write down, what he/she meant to say with that, and how all that could be enacted for us today. Even the more objective-seeming things like tempo markings and expressive indications start looking like something else with the advancement of time (with changes in the conditions in which the work is received, incl. performance skills but also things like changing cultural meanings and advancing societal development). I'm not thinking of mere errors such as those probably involved the famous case of Beethoven's metronome markings (faulty equipment?) but also, say, what Monteverdi and Stockhausen would have imagined it to mean when instructing their orchestras play "with utmost speed," or what "lamentoso" temperament implied to Vivaldi as opposed to Tchaikovsky, or how differently "con tutta la forza" probably sounded inside the heads of Haydn and Shostakovich. Clearly two entirely different worlds here. Mahler interpretation is not any more immune to such changes, either; look how much our conception of how his works should be played has changed since just yesterday when Bernstein was still the norm. (Or Mozart performance since Szell who practically owned the field as late as during your own formative years [I presume].) In other words the point was not about historicism but about hermeneutics.

PT
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 05:55:34 PM by Polarius T »

Offline Dave H

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2008, 06:04:11 PM »
That was one of the longest truisms I have ever seen!  :)

Polarius T

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2008, 06:10:39 PM »
Gotta agree with you on this one.  :P

It's all just in preparation for my final thesis that Claudio Abbado has been the one to bring Mahler performance to the 21st century (follow our notices).

PT

Offline Dave H

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2008, 06:46:21 PM »
Well, in keeping with the 21st century obsession with all things dietetic, he's certainly the greatest proponent of "Mahler Lite." But I think the prize will go to the person who discovers how to play "green" Mahler in a more environmentally responsible manner. Abbado's ongoing insistence on performing Mahler in Lucerne will doubtless increase the melt rate of nearby Alpine glaciers, causing lowland devastation.

Dave H

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2008, 12:57:41 AM »
Not so far off the environmental track, there have rumblings about limiting the amount of decibels that symphony orchestras pump out in concert (particularly in Europe). That strikes me as absurd when you consider just how loud any electrified rock concert can sound. Even a jazz combo in a small room can crank out the decibels like nobody's business. I guess any such action would signal the end of the "Mahler boom". Trust me, it'll never happen (and if so, I'm outta here!).

Barry
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 02:28:54 AM by barry guerrero »

Polarius T

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2008, 11:16:06 AM »
[Abbado] is certainly the greatest proponent of "Mahler Lite." But I think the prize will go to the person who discovers how to play "green" Mahler in a more environmentally responsible manner. Abbado's ongoing insistence on performing Mahler in Lucerne will doubtless increase the melt rate of nearby Alpine glaciers, causing lowland devastation.

I don't know where this buzzword comes from if not your own pages. Where you are right is that his sure ain't your meat-and-potatoes variant of a Mahler interpretation, to stick with the dietetic theme. But I think the confusion here stems from what Alpsman, too, refers to in another thread: Abbado's exquisite ear for detail and articulation. What it results in is a most impressive ability to bring off what another buzzword condenses as the very special amalgam of refinement and strength temperamentally marking his work. It also lays a main emphasis on clarity, though always within a natural lyrical sensibility distinguishing him from, say, a Boulez or a Klemperer.

On the "green" issue I actually would think that a very noninstitutionalized form of an enterprise like the LFO would rather have a remarkably small carbon footprint compared to your usual top-heavy, large-scale subscription venture. It lacks most of the administrative apparatus standard to all orchestral institutions, should be basically paperless leaving all forests alone (they probably just send emails telling everyone to meet in front of Carnegie Hall staff entrance on October such-and-such next year), and in general acts rather like one of the kind of civil society organizations whose merits have traditionally been well understood in the U.S. Moreove I'm pretty sure a significant number of the players involved will travel to Lucerne by train, as common in Europe.  :)

-PT
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 11:42:37 AM by Polarius T »

Offline Dave H

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2008, 12:51:34 AM »
[Abbado] is certainly the greatest proponent of "Mahler Lite." But I think the prize will go to the person who discovers how to play "green" Mahler in a more environmentally responsible manner. Abbado's ongoing insistence on performing Mahler in Lucerne will doubtless increase the melt rate of nearby Alpine glaciers, causing lowland devastation.

I don't know where this buzzword comes from if not your own pages. Where you are right is that his sure ain't your meat-and-potatoes variant of a Mahler interpretation, to stick with the dietetic theme. But I think the confusion here stems from what Alpsman, too, refers to in another thread: Abbado's exquisite ear for detail and articulation. What it results in is a most impressive ability to bring off what another buzzword condenses as the very special amalgam of refinement and strength temperamentally marking his work. It also lays a main emphasis on clarity, though always within a natural lyrical sensibility distinguishing him from, say, a Boulez or a Klemperer.

On the "green" issue I actually would think that a very noninstitutionalized form of an enterprise like the LFO would rather have a remarkably small carbon footprint compared to your usual top-heavy, large-scale subscription venture. It lacks most of the administrative apparatus standard to all orchestral institutions, should be basically paperless leaving all forests alone (they probably just send emails telling everyone to meet in front of Carnegie Hall staff entrance on October such-and-such next year), and in general acts rather like one of the kind of civil society organizations whose merits have traditionally been well understood in the U.S. Moreove I'm pretty sure a significant number of the players involved will travel to Lucerne by train, as common in Europe.  :)

-PT

Well, understand what you are saying, but I can point to just about any Abbado Mahler recording, particularly the recent ones, and show you chapter and verse that practically no one is less clear, more careless with respect to details of orchestral color, dynamic range, and quite a few other basic musical elements. I agree that he can be "exquisitely detailed" with respect to whatever he happens to be paying attention to at the time--it's just that quite often it has little to do with what the music is supposed to be doing. I vividly recall a disasterous series of Mahler performances live with the BPO here in New York. The Fifth featured the trumpet cracking his opening solo, and it was all downhill from there; ensemble was dreadful, the entire performance underplayed and emotionally tepid. In the Ninth, he spend the entire concert conducting the viola section, and sure enough, never has the viola part been so well played. It's just that everyone else sucked, especially the winds and horns, who sounded bored to death. I don't think there's another conductor out there as talented, and at the same time as sparing in his use of it. Have you heard his new period-instrument Mozart? Dreadful! But, as always, to each his own!

Dave H

Polarius T

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2008, 12:41:21 PM »
Well, understand what you are saying, but I can point to just about any Abbado Mahler recording, particularly the recent ones, and show you chapter and verse that practically no one is less clear, more careless with respect to details of orchestral color, dynamic range, and quite a few other basic musical elements. I agree that he can be "exquisitely detailed" with respect to whatever he happens to be paying attention to at the time--it's just that quite often it has little to do with what the music is supposed to be doing. I vividly recall a disasterous series of Mahler performances live with the BPO here in New York. The Fifth featured the trumpet cracking his opening solo, and it was all downhill from there; ensemble was dreadful, the entire performance underplayed and emotionally tepid. In the Ninth, he spend the entire concert conducting the viola section, and sure enough, never has the viola part been so well played. It's just that everyone else sucked, especially the winds and horns, who sounded bored to death. I don't think there's another conductor out there as talented, and at the same time as sparing in his use of it. Have you heard his new period-instrument Mozart? Dreadful! But, as always, to each his own!
Dave H

It could be an extreme case of "to each his own," but I think it's more likely that you listen from preconceived notions as I cannot imagine any other realistic explanation for the kind of mischaracterizations you make here (and have systematically made elsewhere). (Or that you simply have a faulty sound system.:)) While I cannot know what passages you have in mind, I bet what you are really talking about is how you think these bars should be rightly characterized for it to be "true" Mahler. Then again I'm sure you already know that any self-respecting conductor would spend good time researching the sources before going public with his engagement with them -- and as anyone knows Abbado is on the more meticulous side in this respect, especially when it comes to the composers more important to him personally such as Mahler. Still, you cannot accept that Abbado would present you with a Mahler whose physiognomy you cannot recognize as the same you yourself encountered in the days of your own revelatory experiences with this composer. Instead, I have a feeling you go around picking "evidence" to support your rejection of his approach and entrench the order of things you've already established for yourself. That's fine, everyone is doing it, but the average Joe would rather say something like "Personally I like/I don't like though I may not understand this thoroughly enough yet" and not go use his maximum leverage to prevent every possibility for others to discover and appreciate what for whatever reason one cannot find as meaningful for one's own self. So that would be my gripe with your position (and that of a few others) as a rather influential but in my opinion also in this respect irresponsible public critic. You would like to steer everyone up along the path that you found for your own self some, what, thirty-forty years ago, and just about everything radically departing from it and not on your map is measured as a deviation from, not a possible advancement over and beyond, those landmarks that provided your parameters long ago.

So this may be putting it a bit harshly (and certainly more drastically than I really mean it), but I don't intend to be unfriendly. The point is, what you claim is false or erroneous I might well find (and may in fact rather be) considered and englightening, and to preclude in principle the possibility for allowing the latter, I think, would be a bit narrow-minded and presumptuous if not downright arrogant and agenda-ridden. Of course, there is always much room left for disputation still, based on somewhat harder facts relying on musicological research, say, or even arguments of historical and philosophical nature, but I think you don't really make broad use of those; you tend to only tangentially refer to the existence of such reasons in order to back up anecdotal reports or your use of attributes reflecting mostly subjective perception of disparate events, not much else. Naturally, you might counter that neither do I operate that way; but that's the nice comfort I have as nothing but an anonymous opinionated individual on the net who's not immediately taken by his word by anyone around. ;D

Incidentally, I was in that M5 concert as well, and as I've mentioned in another thread, it was one of the most memorable concert experiences I've had, despite the opening fanfare fumbled by the trumpetist (that can happen in a concert situation as you know). Similarly, those new Mozart recordings by Abbado and the Orchestra Mozart reprsent exactly what the music industry needs (to turn your own invective around): freshly considered, invigoratingly conducted, vividly played, alert and alive from beginnig to the end, full of personality and character, uplifting and drawing all attention the music itself that opens up anew and stays ringing on in the mind and the heart -- everything a critic is looking for in a recording but laments has been nowhere to be found for decades now. More stuff like these and there is no need for classical music to worry about its diminishing audiences. It's the real thing we always keep searching for. If I'd have to put it in a nutshell, I'd advise you to listen with ears a bit more open and eyes that are blind so you can't know when it's "European" or "Deutsche Grammophon" or "establishment" or "Claudio Abbado" or "Berlin Phil" or "avantgarde" related; that might prove revelatory!  8)

Hope you don't find all this as rude as I do myself; I went to school in New York and you know what that can do to your mental makeup.  :) To leave the subject on a more polite note I'll leave the last word to you.

-PT

« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 12:52:47 PM by Polarius T »

Offline Dave H

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2008, 03:08:04 AM »
I can see that my view of Abbado disturbs you, but I don't take your reaction personally at all. I used to have a tremendous amount of respect for Abbado, and I still listen to each new recording with the highest expectations. No one wants an artist to fail, particularly one with so much talent. But since he left the LSO for Berlin it's been all down hill (his very sad illness notwithstanding). This is not a matter of opinion--it's a fact. He has become a chronic, compulsive micro-manager, fussing about and highlighting this or that odd detail, often at the expense of what the composer clearly intended. It's predictable, and boring. It also has nothing to do with the old saw "your boring is my contemplative," or "your fussy hunt for inner voices is my revelation of fascinating detail." It's a question of poor musicianship, plain and simple.

The conductor who gave us such brilliant recordings as his DG Alexander Nevsky, or his amazing series of Verdi and Rossini operas at La Scala, seems to be gone for good. Whether you happen to like him or not is beside the point--we all have the right to enjoy whatever we wish. But given the time and opportunity I could sit down with the scores and a few select comparisons and show you just how musically deficient most of Abbado's recent recordings actually are. And it just so happens that his decline as an artist coincided with his recordings of Mahler. After a promising start with his Chicago recordings of the Second and Fifth, he started to lose his grip precipitously. It's a terrible shame. But it's not my place to try to convince you of my view or try to tell you what should please you, and I'm not going to try.

Dave H

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2008, 05:48:26 AM »
I'm going to take the middle ground here. Unfortunately, the two live performances of Mahler symphonies that I saw Abbado do in London with the LSO, were both really lacking in excitement and/or fire (M1 and M3). Then again, as I mentioned previously, Hanna Schwartz could probably bring any great performance to a halt. I had to listen to her schlag her way through the 5 "Ruckert" Lieder as well. That was painful!  I also think it takes some effort to overcome the (then) dry and indifferent acoustics of Royal Festival Hall. Anyway,   .    .     . 

I don't feel that Abbado's Berlin remakes of Mahler have been particularly terrible at all. Neither do I think that they're the very best available either. I do respect the fact that Abbado has rethought his approach to some of the symphonies. For example, he clearly has tightened up the inner movements of his latest M6 (stronger hammerstrokes too), and has greatly shortened up the latter three movements in his more recent performances of M3. It is true that he now coaxes a far lighter sound in Mahler - perhaps too much so. But the BPO - to my ears, anyway - have always sounded more like a great chamber orchestra on steroids, than a true philharmonic orchestra. His Berlin M7 is pretty much identical to his earlier Chicago effort - which was a very good effort - except that he had DG record the deep bells (tiefe glocken) and cowbells far more closely in Berlin. It's a tad gimmicky, but at least you can really hear them.

His remake of M4 had good first and third movements, but the scherzo wasn't the slightest bit scary or creepy, while Renee Fleming all but ruined the fourth movement (she sounds fine on the Berg songs - go figure!). But then again, Abbado's earlier Vienna M4 wasn't so hot either. In the 9th symphony, I like it that Abbado has shortened up the first and third movements (Rondo-Burlesque), while also giving a bit more slack to the last movement. In terms of how it's proportioned, I do think it's an improvement over his earlier Vienna one.

No, what's disappointing to me about Abbado doesn't have so much to do with questions of musicianship. What I find disappointing can be observed on that DVD that's a documentary about the 2000 Mahlerfest in Amsterdam (I forget what it's called). In that documentary, both Abbado and Haitink take the view that Mahler is a very tragic figure. As you guys know, I've been pretty critical of Haitink's later efforts in Mahler (I like his earliest recordings best). I think that both Abbado and Haitink have a somewhat negative approach to Mahler in general. In contrast to those two, Chailly spoke of Mahler as being a healthy individual - who happened to have his fair share of tragic events in his life - who was able to keep working through the worst of times, and usually strived to project a positive message out to the world (something to that effect). I see Chailly as being a Mahler optimist, while Abbado and Haitink are fundamentally Mahlerian pessimists (I don't want to make too much of this point, because it's VERY subjective). Why does this matter at all?

Well, I think it's no coincidence that both Haitink and Abbado don't particularly like the 8th symphony, and have recorded two of the duller versions out there (the Haitink is at least pretty sounding, with some solid vocal contributions to fall back upon). For me, the Abbado M8 may be the absolute low point of his entire career (his "Kindertotenlieder" on Sony was pretty darn dull too). It's not terrible, but it's just incredibly dull and flatfooted. In a way, that's worse than being "terrible", because Abbado was given the greatest resources available: the BPO, and a "dream team" cast.

I could go on and on. But to summarize, I just take something of a middle ground between you two.

Barry
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 05:51:45 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline Dave H

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2008, 12:36:52 PM »
Barry:

I am entirely with you on this. I never said Abbado was utterly without merit, disgusting, stinky-poo. Just that he wasn't that great and that his more recent work is inferior to his earlier work. I also agree with your (implied) suggestion that there's no need to go to extremes. Indeed, the entire thrust of my ongoing discussion here and in the other threads was simply that we should recognize flaws for what they are, particularly when they are basic musical facts and not just differences of opinion. The musical world, like every other kind of entertainment, is often blinded by the "fan" mentality. This is fine when the artist is performing his own unique material, but when everyone does the same stuff and multiple comparisons are possible, then to ignore these comparisons or always find in favor of "your guy (or gal)" is pretty delusional. And in Abbado's case, we have the ability to compare him not just to other artists, but to himself, early and late. We've talked about this before, and you've mentioned that the chronic fussiness that has since become such a tedious mannerism in his work was manifesting itself much earlier in rehearsals you attended with the LSO.

Anyway, I completely agree with your assessment of both Abbado and Haitink, and would only add further that, curiously, if Abbado regards Mahler as so tragic, then why don't his recent performances seem to reflect it? As you say, they have't been uniformly bad (the Berlin Ninth is pretty good, but unfortunately not all that well recorded), but most have been underplayed to a greater or lesser degree by almost any standard, and to me it's just silly to buy into the Lucerne Festival PR and claim that its pick-up orchestra compares favorably with the best established ensembles. The same is true of his new period instrument Mozart orchestra, very anemic sounding (and badly recorded) comparied to today's norm, even for period instruments. As I said, I don't root for anyone to fail, but I'm not a partisam of any particular artist either, and with so much choice out there I like to take each disc and it comes and listen to it on its own merits. Abbado's work is not uniformly bad; it's mixed, but mediocrity is disappointing from an artist of his reputation and indisputable ability.

Dave H

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2008, 03:00:56 PM »
curiously, if Abbado regards Mahler as so tragic, then why don't his recent performances seem to reflect it?

Yes, that is curious, isn't it? Good point.

to me it's just silly to buy into the Lucerne Festival PR and claim that its pick-up orchestra compares favorably with the best established ensembles.

Isn't the LFO pretty much the same as the BPO, only with some "all-stars" sitting in? To me, they sound very similar to the BPO. I can't claim to be fully informed on this point.

The same is true of his new period instrument Mozart orchestra, very anemic sounding (and badly recorded) comparied to today's norm, even for period instruments.

It's a bit funny that the two of you have such opposite reactions to Abbado's new Mozart. Personally, I just don't care enough about Mozart symphonies to bother finding out how I would feel about them. This is case where it's just more amusing to read about it. 

There's been a lot of discussion about how Abbado should have recorded Mahler's "DLvdE" somewhere along the way. Personally, I'm kind of glad that he didn't. We have the Boulez, and that one - while having a few good merits (Urmana ain't one of them) - almost totally lacks in color as it is. I don't think that we need another one like it (and Boulez's tenor was even worse!).

I also find it curious that Abbado never recorded Schumann, and rarely performed Haydn. I consider both of those composers to be important precursors to Mahler. He also did lots of Tchaikovsky, but never recorded "Manfred" either - one of Mahler's specialties. I'm not saying that Abbado's Mahler suffered because of not addressing these composers first. But I do feel that Abbado had to "labor" a bit with Mahler - you could see that in his conducting. It always seemed sort of a strain for him to control (mico-manage?) Mahler's biggest, most fully scored moments. As I said on another recent post, he just sounds more spontaneous and comfortable with Bruckner, than with Mahler. Perhaps that's why Abbado wanted to "lighten things up" in his more recent Mahler performances and recordings. And as you say, Dave, they're certainly not terrible. Neither would I call any of them, "the best!".

I've got to run.

Barry
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 08:16:25 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2008, 08:08:05 AM »
Then again I'm sure you already know that any self-respecting conductor would spend good time researching the sources before going public with his engagement with them -- and as anyone knows Abbado is on the more meticulous side in this respect, especially when it comes to the composers more important to him personally such as Mahler.

Yes Timo, Abbado has always carried a reputation for doing his homework ahead of time. But I think that David is saying that that is often times part of the problem: that Abbado is very good at the particular moments he chooses to focus upon, but sometimes at the expense of the overall picture. If that's true, he's certainly not alone in having that fault - he's in good company (Rattle certainly comes to mind). I feel that in executing or realizing orchestral music, conductors frequently walk a tightrope between overplaying something, or underplaying it. While perhaps Bernstein might have been someone who came close to overplaying many moments, Abbado nearly always errs on the side of underplaying something. That's not always a tragic thing because, as I mentioned, one has to nearly always walk this tightrope. But after just listening to Gergiev's fiery, exhilarating M7, I'm in the mood to err on the side of overdoing things. Although I didn't hear this disputed M5 concert in N.Y., I must  say that neither of Abbado's DG recordings of M5 really knock me out (I have a preference for his earlier Chicago one). 

but the average Joe would rather say something like "Personally I like/I don't like though I may not understand this thoroughly enough yet" and not go use his maximum leverage to prevent every possibility for others to discover and appreciate what for whatever reason one cannot find as meaningful for one's own self.

Yeah, OK; fair enough, Timo. But for better or for worse, David HAS to state such decisive opinions because it's his job to do so as a critic. You may not like the approach or angle that he takes, and that's your right- or anyone else's right - to express that dislike. But one of the things that has always bothered BOTH David and myself, is the sort of wishy-washy, noncommittal, "try to read between the lines", kind of reviews that one frequently sees in Gramophone, for example. How is that helping anybody? I believe that it was partly frustration from such a nonprofessional state of affairs that propelled David to go into this business to begin with. When I say "nonprofessional", I don't mean to imply that David always knows better than English critics, or some such thing. What I'm saying by "nonprofessional", is simply their unwillingness to come right to the point, and tell a lessor informed reader whether or not they should buy such-and-such recording. That's the service that a good critic should provide, for better or for worse.

You would like to steer everyone up along the path that you found for your own self some, what, thirty-forty years ago, and just about everything radically departing from it and not on your map is measured as a deviation from, not a possible advancement over and beyond, those landmarks that provided your parameters long ago.

Yes, but what other path would there be, other than also studying what the composer actually wrote? Say what you will about David's path - and I personally try to follow him up the same path, because I'm a schooled musician myself - he at least writes from a position of knowing what it is that the composer actually wrote. I find it strange that so many other "classical music lovers" dismiss the idea that a critic should be fully schooled about what the composer wrote. It's almost as though people are saying that you can't trust a critic with that knowledge. If you're praising Abbado for doing his homework ahead of time, why would your praise not also be extended to a critic who does his homework as well? Hello! - why the disconnect? Believe me, I'm not saying that all Mahler performances need to be evaluated from a Leonard Bernstein based position. I don't believe that David is saying that either. Far from it, in fact, because at least David approaches Mahler - and pretty much every other composer that he writes about - from a very strong basis of comparison. Timo, do you yourself fully know the Mahler recordings of Gary Bertini, Eliahu Inbal, Michael Gielen, Vaclav Neumann, etc.? David does, and so do I - for the most part. All four of the conductors that I just mentioned have received more than their fair share of praise from David - perhaps more than I would ever extend to them (I love Bertini's Mahler though). It might surprise you to know that David might - depending on which way the wind is blowing, I suppose - recommend Gielen's Mahler over Bernstein's to somebody. Certainly you wouldn't consider Gielen to be somebody who's regressive, sentimental, or backwards looking, would you? (and personally, I like Gielen far less than David does. That's just me.). It just happens that David doesn't include Abbado in that company, and I'm not sure that I would either. Frankly, I need more time to fully absorb his latest efforts in Mahler. Regardless, though, there's no way that I'm going to view them as radical departures, or huge improvements. I also have a difficult time lending a lot of praise to ANY conductor who has a rather low opinion of Mahler's 8th symphony. On that topic, I very much take Mahler at his own word. Behind the noise and bluster, I happen to think it's an outstanding piece of music. The more I get to know, the more I feel that way.

I also take some exception to your implying that Claudio Abbado somehow represents an advancement on something that didn't exist 30 or 40 years ago. First off, Abbado WAS around 30 and 40 years ago. I believe that Abbado received his fair share of encouragement from Leonard Bernstein, no less. So, where is the radical departure?  I just don't see it that way. One of the things that is a HUGE pet peeve of mine, is this recent movement to make Mahler little more than Brahms with extra brass and more percussion. I really, REALLY hate that concept, because it's based on a narrow Austro-German view of things. When I say "Austro-German", I do not mean that in a social or political context. Instead, I mean that from a purely musical point of reference. Influences upon Mahler were as much Czech (Smetana and late Dvorak), French (Berlioz), and Italian (opera composers), as they were German speaking. At the same time, I do not in the slightest bit downplay the influence of Beethoven and Wagner upon Mahler either (and to a lessor extent, Schumann and Von Weber). And while Abbado has certainly done his fair share of Beethoven and Brahms (who I feel has very little in common with Mahler), I find it curious that he has done so little Haydn, Schumann, and Wagner. Those folks just don't seem to be part of his schtick (and granted, nobody can get around to doing justice to everybody). In that sense, I don't consider Abbado to be all that better prepared to approach Mahler than anybody else. All of them study the scores and - when time permits - drafts, manuscripts, first editions, etc.

Naturally, you might counter that neither do I operate that way; but that's the nice comfort I have as nothing but an anonymous opinionated individual on the net who's not immediately taken by his word by anyone around.

Oh, come now - you can't play both sides of the sword like that. You're better than that, and you know it. Also, what you're saying is true for ALL OF US, to some extent or another. I don't agree with every single little point that David makes either. But I at least know where he's coming from, and the solid work that he put in, prior to reaching his opinions. I know first-hand the kind of money he has spent in accumulating scores from all over the world. He reads them, too. I have to respect that. Nobody will ever accuse him of not voicing those opinions strongly though.

Unfortunately, Timo, this is really just a case where you happen to really like Claudio Abbado, and David just doesn't cut him that much slack. Personally, I try to avoid fan-dom of any classical music performers, especially conductors (little more than a medium, and a necessary evil). To me, the composer is always far more important. If I had to choose just one conductor for Mahler - something that I would never want to be forced to do - it would definitely be Gary Bertini. Then again, I'm very intrigued by David Zinman's Mahler recordings, so far (I wish the 4th had a better soprano though). To me, he's the new Kubelik.

Barry

« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 08:25:58 AM by barry guerrero »

Polarius T

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2008, 10:02:57 AM »
Barry,

Thanks for the thoughtful and well-intended responses; a nice and fresh contrast, I'd say.

I'm going to be away for a couple of days but once back I'll address all these points, if you don't mind. Here just this: unlike Dave would rather have it (and you tend to feel as well), the issue is not at all about some disappointed "fans" "reacting" to the negative feedback their idols get; it's a broader one about classical music critics and their role, but I'll get to that once back.

Btw, Abbado has a better track record on Haydn, Schumann, and Wagner than most. He was one of the first to follow Britten in performing the "Faustszenen" and has recorded all of Schumann's works for the cello (with Gutman) and the piano (with Perahia, Brendel, and Pollini) (can we blame anyone for omitting the symphonies, huh?!); there is also the Schumann masses and other choral and liturgical works; and he's got IIRC three Haydn symphony discs out on DG plus the trumpet cto; and has performed Wagner much more than recorded, Tristan, Parsifal, songs, don't remember the others (he does have at least three discs plus Lohengrin out on DG - that makes a minimum of six full CDs...). So that's not oddly little at all. (And remember he's recorded ALL of the Tchaik symphonies, twice + over, plus all those concertos; and even Bernstein thought "Manfred" is just way too nuts to worry about -- so let me say now in turn: Hello?!?)

But Abbado, too, is besides the point so let's leave him, too, for later again. For Dave H (and U.S. critics more generally who really seem to lack all understanding of what he is doing -- very much unlike what you find in the Euro press btw, where music critics [as opposed to CD reviewers] look at him very differently) I think it's a bit more personal on this point (yeah, here I think we are justified in saying this). Reading those weird utterances (anyone who's heard the new Mozart recordings for instance can immediately tell Dave clearly hasn't listened to them; the vitriole he heaps is just too bizarre -- you might want to try check this yourself: it's the very same band, the very same soloists, and the very same playing style and spirit that was praised here on GMB a couple of weeks ago when someone posted a link to their Brandenburgs with Reinhold Friedrich on the trumpet...) it seems this particualr conductor just provides him with an icon to attack, something certain people seem to need to project all their frustrations and personal anger at.

Anyhow, back to you in a couple of days on the more substantive side of things if you don't mind. I just don't like it when people try to make a issue of substance into a personal gripe -- it's such an easy avoidance strategy.

-PT
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 10:25:21 AM by Polarius T »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2008, 03:12:05 PM »
OK, well, I really don't want to get myself further involved in a U.S. critic vs. Euro critic type of conversation. Neither do I wish to continue debating the relative worthiness of Claudio Abbado - it just doesn't mean that much to me. It might also interest you to know that David has very strong relations with several very prominent European critics, both in France and Germany. But I'll let David explain that for himself.

It may very well be that if I listened to this set of Mozart symphonies that TRULY seem to be the core issue here, I might actually take your side of the argument. But as I said before, I just don't care enough about Mozart symphonies in general, to really worry about it. My interest is with composers, not artists (for artists, I much prefer jazz). You guys will have to duke this out on your own. HOWEVER   .     .   .

I really feel that if this is going to be taken to the level of grilling the so-called professional critic because you feel that there's some crusade-like need to do so, the two of you should take the dispute OFF THE AIR. We really designed this website to avoid just those kinds of confrontations, to be honest. They serve little or no good.

Barry
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 03:18:42 PM by barry guerrero »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk