Author Topic: Mund/Kyoto S.O. M9 (Arte Nova) is really very good.  (Read 4303 times)

Offline barry guerrero

Mund/Kyoto S.O. M9 (Arte Nova) is really very good.
« on: April 13, 2007, 05:56:05 AM »
I picked up the Uwe Mund/Kyoto S.O. Mahler 9th today, since it sells so cheap (Arte Nova). It's really a very good recording at any price. The first movement seems a bit longer than its 26 minute timing might make you anticipate, mainly because it's so "contrasty" between slow and fast sections. In the second movement, Mund really whips up the end of the last waltz variation, and executes just a perfect transition back into the final laendler passage. He also stokes the flames at the end of the Rondo-Burlesque movement, executed with just stunningly tight playing from the Kyoto musicians. The last movement is nicely done as well, with Mund spending plenty of time on each of those soli violin notes at the climax. Overall, a really satisfying job on everybody's part. Bravo.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 06:05:51 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
Re: Mund/Kyoto S.O. M9 (Arte Nova) is really very good.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 03:40:10 PM »
Can you please post timings? 
Scott

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 07:00:07 PM »
For such a good price, I may check this out.  Thanks for the review Barry.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 03:20:30 AM »
Timings are 26:14; 14:56; 11:59; 24:21

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 04:31:57 AM »
I am listening to a live Mahler's 9th - Staatskapelle Berlin/Barenboim from the 2007 Mahlerfest. This is even better than the commercial CD release - both playing & recorded sound. It is more exciting, faster and sounds more aggressive than the CD. It looks like Barenboim is forming into a major Mahler conductor. I'd like to see him do M2nd, M3rd, and M10th.

John,

Offline bluesbreaker

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 09:13:33 AM »
I just saw it today. And I asked the clerk to save it for me for a couple of days. I am so smart..... ;D
Under The Dark Side Of The Glass Moon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk