Author Topic: OT: I'm gonna start collecting classical LP's again...  (Read 8749 times)

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
OT: I'm gonna start collecting classical LP's again...
« on: July 22, 2007, 08:35:45 PM »
I really miss my old classical LP collection, which I let go some years back, so I decided today to go back to the beloved vinyl.  Going to go get a cheap turntable in the coming week :)  (I don't collect audiophile LP's...just cheap old records)

Ivor

Re: OT: I'm gonna start collecting classical LP's again...
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 09:14:04 PM »
  yes, they are fun. And poor condition ones can be recoverred with v. lukewarm water, washing-u[ liquid (not too much) and a soft old toothbrush or cloth.

let me know if there's anything you're after.

Ivor

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 11:28:26 PM »
Leo,

Congratulations!

Some of my old (but favorite) Mahler LPs were:

Horenstein/LSO/Unicorn M3
Leinsdorf/BSO/RCA M1
Kletzki/PO/EMI M4
Abbado/CSO/DG M1, M5, M6
Bernstein/NYPO/Sony entire symphony cycle
Kubelik/BRSO/DG entire cycle
Haitink/RCO/Philips M3, M6, M9
Morris/PO/Philips M10
Klemperer/NPO/EMI M9
Klemperer/PO/EMI M2
Karajan/BPO/DG M9 (analogue)

Enjoy them!

P.S. What kind of turntable do you own?

John,

Offline Damfino

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 05:00:32 AM »
I still have a turntable hooked up to a receiver, hooked up to my computer, and I sometimes transfer old LPs to CD.  Space is a big issue, and I only saved LPs that i do not have a CD version of, like soundtracks, Beatles imports, a few classical and a lot of spoken word (Shakespeare, mostly) and Christmas collections.  I have been able to clean up the more egregiously scratched ones with software.  However, I impress my self sometimes with the good care I took of my LPs.  Some have no pops at all.

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 06:27:37 AM »
John, I have a bonus check from work coming in a few weeks, and when it arrives I plan on getting a turntable with a built-in preamp...nothing too expensive...since I already got a new SACD player recently. 

I am excited though...I love looking in old used record shops and etc!!!  I'll keep your list in mind  :)

Ivor, I love to collect Mozart on LP also...I'll be on the hunt for the Lili Kraus complete Mozart Piano Concerti  :)

--Leo

Ivor

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 03:14:06 PM »
  Gotcha.

Ivor

Offline sbugala

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 03:57:47 AM »
There's some recordings I prefer on vinyl over CD.  I love Mehta's work with LA, especially in Mahler.  His 5th sounds superb, for instance. And it has his Adagio to M10, which as far as I know, has never made it to CD.   

Offline david johnson

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 09:45:19 AM »
...ah...welcome back to the dark side  ;).  i still have several lps and use a linear-tracking technics from the early 80s.

dj

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 07:47:59 PM »
Thanks guys...tonight I'm going to go look at turntables  :)

--Leo

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 01:43:20 AM »
I found it!!!!

I scored a great Mozart Piano Concerti set today that I had wanted to own for years...it's a twelve record set.  This is the Lili Kraus Complete Mozart Piano box.

I had my eye on this thing at this record shop since last year, until one day it had dissapeared...I thought it was gone until today, when I found it again in the store's back room in a place I had never thought to look.  It was 60 bucks, but the lady gave it to me for 30...which was awesome because the set was SIGNED by the pianist and conducter in the inner booklet.  This set is my holy grail of Mozart Concerti...I listened to it alot as a teenager, checking out the library copy many times in High School.  It has never appeared on CD and is Long out of print.  After the library gave all their records away I thought I would never see this thing again...it was like a whole in my Mozart--memory.  This set had introduced me to Mozart's Piano Concerti...it really is like a first love.  All those afternoons in the Minnesota autumn getting to know these works are coming back in a rush.

Lili Kraus is one of my favorite pianists, and now I have her autograph...what a day!!!

--Leo

Offline Amphissa

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 02:37:09 AM »
Leo,
Over the years, I have given away or sold most of my LPs. I now have only about 500 remaining. Only a small portion of those are classical.

However, a few years ago, I became interested in the music of Myaskovsky. Many of the recordings of his music were on LP and never transferred to CD. So I began buying a few LPs -- including some that I ordered from shops in Russia.

I have now bought some LPs to play instead of the CD version, because the transfer to CD was so terrible. An example is Rakhlin's recording of Gliere's Symphony No. 3. The CD transfer is very bad,, but the LP is excellent.

I think I will never buy LPs in large numbers again. But I will keep all of the LPs I currently own. I do enjoy listening to my LPs when I am in the mood.

Welcome back to vinyl - the fetish of audiophilia.  8)
"Life without music is a mistake." Nietzsche

Ivor

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 05:49:03 PM »
   Very happy for you, Leo. Must be something like heaven, eh?

you were clearly meant to get that box.

Shame there's no smiley signifying Hurray    ot  excitement.

Ivor

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 12:46:25 AM »
Thanks Amphissa and Ivor...yes, it is much like heaven!!

It's been almost 20 years since I heard those LP's... :D  The turntable I ordered is being shipped as I type...

--Leo

Ivor

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2007, 11:23:31 PM »
   In that case, don't stop typing till they've finished shipping.   

For all readers in England and Germany, that was a joke.

Ivor

Offline david johnson

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2007, 09:50:39 AM »
see if you can find the ormandy/phiily lp of tchaikovsky's 7th on columbia.
i think it's fun.

dj

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk