Author Topic: Reiner/Lewis/Forrester "DLvdE" now out on SACD/CD hybrid  (Read 6806 times)

Offline barry guerrero

Reiner/Lewis/Forrester "DLvdE" now out on SACD/CD hybrid
« on: August 01, 2007, 05:40:45 AM »

I plan to pick this up in the next few days.

Offline Jot N. Tittle

• Meine Zeit wird noch kommen.
Re: Reiner/Lewis/Forrester "DLvdE" now out on SACD/CD hybrid
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 05:05:48 PM »
Thanks, Barry. Please let us know how it compares with the older RCA issue.

. & '

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 05:13:07 AM »
I listened to it today, and it sounds fabulous - absolutely fabulous   :)

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 06:17:15 AM »
Sweeeet 8)

Offline akiralx

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 11:14:01 AM »

Information about the remastering:

From Mark Donahue at SoundMirror:

In the process of mastering the Living Stereo title Mahler: Das Lied von
der Erde, DSD engineer Dirk Sobotka and I noticed that there was a
change in the sound of the orchestra between the movements featuring
contralto Maureen Forrester and those featuring tenor Richard Lewis. We
discovered that, at the original recording session, one channel of the
three-track master tape was recorded out of phase. The problem was
discovered after the first day of recording and corrected for the second
day.

What made this problem so difficult to identify was that it appeared and
disappeared throughout the program. The symptom was that the imaging of
the orchestra behind the voice (which was firmly anchored in the center
of the stereo image, due to the use of a microphone just for the
soloist) would change in perspective. The solution to the problem was
simple: we needed to invert the phase on the channel in question. The
difficulty, however, was that the material from the first and second
days of recording were liberally edited together, thus distributing the
problem throughout the master.

Once this problem was discovered, we went through the master, edit by
edit, and determined which session each bit of tape was sourced from. We
then went through the three-track master and flipped the channel back to
its correct polarity. Once the repaired three-track master was complete, we
created a new stereo mixdown of the restored master for the SACD and D layers.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 02:35:37 PM »
Interesting, because Dave Hurwitz used to complain that it sounded as though the singers were recorded in a separate acoustic than that the orchestra. I didn't hear that problem at all on the new remastering.

Barry
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 02:38:30 PM by barry guerrero »

Vatz Relham

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 02:55:59 PM »
Yes, this reissued Das Lied does sound very good indeed for a 1959 rec. no tape hiss, full clear sound even in standard stereo.
Although I have not heard the original LP or 1st CD issue. The performance is first rate IMO, the only minor complaint for me is Maureen Forrester's vibrato, it sounds a little too quick and old fashioned sounding if there is such a thing, but other than that I really like it. Very good detail of sound, mandolin, tam-tam, harp, all good. Worth picking up at a bargain price too!!.

Vatz

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 05:44:48 PM »
Yes, this reissued Das Lied does sound very good indeed for a 1959 rec. no tape hiss, full clear sound even in standard stereo.
Although I have not heard the original LP or 1st CD issue. The performance is first rate IMO, the only minor complaint for me is Maureen Forrester's vibrato, it sounds a little too quick and old fashioned sounding if there is such a thing, but other than that I really like it. Very good detail of sound, mandolin, tam-tam, harp, all good. Worth picking up at a bargain price too!!.

Vatz

The two soloists have never been my favorite for DLvdE (although I love Forrester in other Mahler, like M2 and M3), but I've always loved this one orchestrally.  I'm on my way to pick it up now, along with the Abbado M6 DVD. 
Scott

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 05:40:40 AM »
Yes, Forrester does have a narrow and fast vibrato that seems out of fashion now. However, she sings "Abschied" with so much restraint and control, that I cease to even notice her vibrato after a few minutes. The playing of the CSO under Reiner is absolutely other wordly. If anyone wants to find out just how much the CSO deteriorated over the course of  the Solti years - primarily in the strings and woodwinds - well, this is your object lesson in learning what it was that they could do so well before Solti. Even today, their clarinets sound awful on that Haitink M3. The timpanist is truly a second rater compared to his peers in Cleveland, Boston, Berlin, and New York.

Barry

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 02:01:14 AM »
Has anyone noticed what sounds like an edit at 8' 19" of the Der Abschied?  I can hear the same thing on both the stereo and multi-channel version.  I did not take out my old CD for comparison.  It is not overly bothersome, but it did jump out at me when I was listening. 
Scott

Vatz Relham

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 02:29:27 PM »
Has anyone noticed what sounds like an edit at 8' 19" of the Der Abschied?  I can hear the same thing on both the stereo and multi-channel version.  I did not take out my old CD for comparison.  It is not overly bothersome, but it did jump out at me when I was listening. 

Scott,

I checked that spot a few times on good sennheiser headpones at first I thought yeah there is an edit, where the music seems to repeat for a second. Then I listened agian with the score, and at the words Die Vogel hocken still (in ihren Zweigen-8' 19") the music does repeat at rehersal #19 in the 2 bars of muted cello's. Plus there is no break in the voice which should be easy to notice.
So I think it's OK at least in my copy that is. If what your hear is quite noticable, maybe you should as for a replacement?

Vatz

Offline akiralx

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 08:51:43 AM »

Vatz

The two soloists have never been my favorite for DLvdE (although I love Forrester in other Mahler, like M2 and M3), but I've always loved this one orchestrally.

Tragic that Ms Forrester is now suffering from dementia owing to alcoholism, and lives in a rather poor nursing home in Toronto.

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 03:20:45 PM »

Vatz

The two soloists have never been my favorite for DLvdE (although I love Forrester in other Mahler, like M2 and M3), but I've always loved this one orchestrally.

Tragic that Ms Forrester is now suffering from dementia owing to alcoholism, and lives in a rather poor nursing home in Toronto.

Wow, I didn't know that...very sad to hear...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk