Author Topic: Dudamel M5  (Read 5382 times)

Offline ggl

Dudamel M5
« on: August 05, 2007, 03:39:33 PM »
Readers of this board may be interested to learn that Gustavo Dudamel, the music director-designate of the L.A. Phil., has recorded the Mahler 5 with the Simon Bolivar Youth Orchestra for release shortly.

There is an interesting article on this orchestra in the July 29  Guardian:

http://music.guardian.co.uk/classical/story/0,,2136301,00.html

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Dudamel M5
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 07:08:21 PM »
I found some short snippets of this online someplace (wasn't the usual DG site - someplace else), and they sounded reasonably good to me.

Barry

Offline ggl

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 01:45:13 AM »
The Dudamel M5 has been reviewed by T. Duggan at www.MusicWeb-International.com.  Mr. Duggan writes: 

"Here we have work in progress of a high order but in competition with the best of the past and at full price that is not enough to earn general recommendation from me."

Ivor

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 03:02:52 PM »
  I got my first sighting of Dudamel and his orchestra the other day on the Beeb.

Wild. They were all dressed , alike, like they were at a dance or part, and they allswayed around their seats, as new to dancing while sitting as you can imagine.

They'll go down (why 'down'?) a storm at the BBC Proms when they turn up.

Ivor

Offline akiralx

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 10:36:04 AM »

Actually I just finished listening to the Dudamel M5 and like it a lot.  The orchestra doesn't have the heft of say, Chailly's Concertgebouw, but play powerfully when required.  But there is also a lot of quiet playing, especially in i and ii, more so than in other recordings I have.  So the recording has quite a wide dynamic range, but some of the quiet passages almost need a subtle volume boost, so I turned up the volume a tad which didn't make the climaxes too loud.

Dudamel's interpretation is very convincing and mature to my ears - his choice of tempi are good (occasionally a passage is played slightly faster than I expected but he makes it work), and he is excellent at bringing out small details, especially in the percussion (e.g. small side drum parts I haven't heard before). 

The recording helps as it is very clear, but with a nice bloom. 

I don't agree with Duggan (I rarely do) about the last two movements not being at the high level of i-iii - in fact the 10.43 Adagietto is done very well with some great subtle string playing, and so is the Finale.  The symphony ends very powerfully and positively. 

This is a keeper definitely - not a first choice for me perhaps, that would be Chailly, but I will listen to it frequently alongside Abbado II, MTT, and Tennstedt (live EMI).

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 05:23:39 AM »
It's always difficult to try to judge a recording like this. Do we compare it to the absolute best, or do we give it a "handycap" by always keeping in mind that we're hearing a large group of youngsters from a somewhat "disadvantaged" country? I guess the main thing is whether we just enjoy hearing it or not; and clearly Akiralx did. Personally, I'd love to see a complete Mahler cycle get recorded from Sau Paulo, Brazil. I believe that they did, in fact, perform an entire cycle there. I think that Rio has had a few Mahler performances as well. I believe that Mahler and popular Brazilian music have a lot in common anyway:  the constant interchange between major and minor modes.

Offline ggl

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 03:15:42 PM »
I listened to the Dudamel/SBYO M5 on the radio the other night.  I should note that the sound from FM radio on my sound system is not nearly as good as CD sound, and that I only heard the recording once, so it is possible my impressions will change on repeated listenings.

That having been said, I was unimpressed.  The playing seemed good, but not exceptional.  As for the conducting -- Dudamel's "concept" of the piece, at least as preliminarily ascertained by my admittedly non-expert ears -- I sense that Dudamel needs to live with this piece for another decade or two. 

It is, perhaps, unfair in some sense to compare this recording with the greatest versions of M5 on disc -- in my view, Chailly/RCO and Bernstein/VPO.  But like Dan Quayle and JFK, Dudamel has invited the comparison, simply by taking on the piece for his second recording, in the context of the attendant hype and PR blitz of his recording company. 

This is a mature symphony.  The relative innocence and Romanticism of the first four symphonies is vanished.  Mahler  has clearly suffered.  His suffering, as expressed in M5, is clearly personal as well as universal.  The world he portrays has turned a corner.  WWI is on the distant horizon -- we have entered a new, disorienting age. 

But I did not hear this in a first listen to Dudamel's M5.  I heard music -- well-played, but not animated by the inner life this symphony demands.

I would like to hear Dudamel and the SBYO in M1 -- a young composer's symphony, with a spirit of adventure and fun very different from the nearly nightmarish vision of M5.  Yet on first acquaintance, I can't help but think that Dudamel chose the wrong Mahler symphony for his recorded debut with this composer.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk