Author Topic: Saraste/OPO/Simax Mahler Sixth to be released in Jan. 2011  (Read 8691 times)

Offline John Kim

Saraste/OPO/Simax Mahler Sixth to be released in Jan. 2011
« on: December 22, 2010, 06:50:23 PM »
http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product/NR_January11/PSC1316.htm

MAHLER

Symphony No. 6 in A minor

1.         I Allegro energico, ma non troppo

2.         II Scherzo. Wuchtig

3.         III Andante moderato

4.         IV Finale. Allegro moderato

Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra / Jukka-Pekka Saraste

This release of a concert performance of Mahler’s Sixth is the third in a very successful series of recordings on Simax by the Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra of the composer’s symphonies, and the first to feature its current chief conductor Jukka-Pekka Saraste.

This recording of Mahler’s Sixth Symphony was made during concerts in March 2010.

Previous releases by the Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra of the First and Ninth (PSC1270), and the Seventh (PSC1271) have been conducted by Mariss Jansons, but the this new CD features renowned Finnish conductor Jukka-Pekka Saraste. The Oslo Philharmonic are playing concerts of Mahler in Europe this season with Saraste, and will perform Symphonies 9, 4 and 8 during this and the coming season.

Gustav Mahler made many comments to the effect that his Sixth Symphony should be understood as a highly personal, even autobiographical work. Although It was composed in the summers of 1903 and 1904, one of the happiest times of his life he considered the Sixth his 'Tragic Symphony'. When Mahler composed the symphony he originally placed the scherzo second and the Andante moderato third, but remained unsure if this was the most effective order of movements. After trying both possible orders in early performances however he decided the Andante should come second and the scherzo third. However in 1910 he decided to return to the original order of the movements, as reflected in this recording.

Simax PSC1316

Offline John Kim

Re: Saraste/OPO/Simax Mahler Sixth to be released in Jan. 2011
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 06:53:56 PM »
It's available for downloading now:

http://www.amazon.com/Gustav-Mahler-Symphony-No-6/dp/B004EOD1WM/ref=sr_1_cc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1293043876&sr=1-2-catcorr

It should be on a single disc (thanks to the speedy inner movements).

It should be pretty good.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 12:18:07 AM »
Just what I need: another Mahler 6. But I like the timings. I also really like the Oslo Phil. on the Jansons M7 from Simax - great percussion!

Offline Russ Smiley

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 03:24:39 AM »
Just what I need: another Mahler 6. But I like the timings. I also really like the Oslo Phil. on the Jansons M7 from Simax - great percussion!
Yes, the timings are intriguing, and (based on the samples) I like the spacious ambiance.  But then there are all those little details that can make or break a performance for me: the treatment of heftig and the cowbells in I, the high flute entrance in the Andante, the contrasts in the Scherzo, the hammer blows, etc.  As always, I'll be very interested to hear what others think of this new M6.
Russ Smiley

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 06:35:58 AM »
Barry, I bet you'd like Jansons/OPO/Simax M1+M9 set. DH raved about the playing of the orchestra. It's amazing what Jansons had achieved with the orchestra. I heard their Brahms symphonies are also terrific.

John,

Offline cilea

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 07:23:40 AM »
Saraste has also recorded the Mahler Ninth with the WDR Symphony Orchestra, Cologne, to be released also in Jan. 2011.

http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//PH10035.htm

I have both discs, and I try to find some time to listen to them during the Christmas. It would be interesting to compare Saraste's interpretations of these symphonies to those of his fellow countryman, Esa-Pekka Salonen... (Salonen's M9 with the Philharmonia has already been released, and we can expect a M6 next year.)

-- T
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 07:12:02 AM by cilea »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 10:59:44 PM »
For you brick-and-mortar folks (like me), Naxos will be releasing this in the U.S. in latter January. I'm going to get one, just based on how good the Jansons/Oslo M7 sounds (also Simax), as well as those timings.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 01:06:52 AM »
I like Saraste's M5th very much. Plus, like Barry I love the Simax recordings of the M1st, M7th, and M9th.

I'm gonna get this Sixth as soon as it gets out ;D.

John,

Offline mahler09

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 04:09:42 PM »
Thanks for the heads up on Naxos... I will have to look into this more!

Offline Michael

• Adagio Appassionato, Addolorato A Niente
    • My Railroad Audio Recordings
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 11:14:43 PM »
I just bought this one on iTunes today.  From my early (and incomplete) listening, the sonics are quite spacious.  I'm going to listen to this tonight and I'll report back my findings.  But, so far, I am encouraged.
Michael

Offline Michael

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 01:33:36 AM »
I just listened, and here is an incomplete (in a technical sense) review:

Allegro Moderato: The opening is broad; ideal mix of speed and heft.  The timpani are distant, but powerful-sounding.  Lots of other percussion in there as well.
Alma Theme: expansive.  Passionate, I would say.  The strings dig into the music and during the brass passages Saraste moves things along just a bit faster, but pulls back again when the strings reenter.  The cilesta is audible at the end of the Alma theme.
After the second repeat: Things progress pretty much in a straightforward manner.  As noted before, percussion is audible; for example, one can hear the triangle and other percussion instruments near the end of the section, just before the cowbell theme.  The cowbells are, overall, quiet but not inaudible.  The French horn/violin duet near the end of the passage is particularly beautiful, especially in the French horn.  Come to think of it, the playing throughout is wonderfully ritch.  The music after the second slow passage is, in one word, energetic.

Scherzo:Saraste keeps this one moving, so the tempo variations are not as noticeable.  No stops and starts here.  Percussion is again quite audible, as is what sounded like a harp in the E flat minor treo section.

Andante: This one is just five seconds faster than Szell.  The French horn solo is played well and the harp is prominent.  The flute entrance immediately after that passage is loud but smooth.  Percussion are again audible, and the cowbells in the first climax are more noticeable than in the first movement.  Back to the flutes: When the melody turns to C major (just before the violin solo) the flute playing is gorgeous and quite noticeable, almost more so than the violin soloist a few measures later.  The climax is passionate; the strings are gorgeous in this most important passage, and the percussion roars when it is called for.  Saraste speeds up a bit at one point, like Rattle does, and it works.

Finale: The opening pages  go pretty much as expected.  While the church bells are not as audible as I have heard, other percussion instruments are and this fits with the previous three movements.  The timpani in the G minor appearance of the fate motif are appropriately menacing.  The movement gets underway with the first appearance of the march, and yet again I must mention the beautiful, chrisp string playing.  Percussion during the march is definitely there, not just in the timps and symbols.  The cowbells in the first interlude are more distant than in the Andante, which again fits with the context.  The D major passage leading up to the first hammerblow is playd well at about an average tempo.  The hammerblows are quite deep; they remind me of those in James Levine’s 2009 Boston Symphony recording, but there is a difference between the two.  The “whipped” passage is as energetic and defiant as one could want.  The second hammerblow is definitely more momentus than the first and is again deep in tone.  The C minor interlude after the second hammer is played with care, and the cowbells are audible.  Just before the piece is emerging into the final march, the trumpets are unusually quiet, but they are there.  As has gone before, the final march is energetic with no hints given about the piece’s final outcome.  The A major passage just before the collapse is definitely heavier, more intense.  The third hammerblow (yes, there is a third hammer!!!) is definitely not as strong as the first two, but it is as Mahler wanted it.  The ending brass passage is played at a farely normal tempo; the last chord is powerful but yet there is definitely a diminuendo there, again as were the composer’s wishes.
This Mahler Sixth is definitely one to get.   It is a live recording, but you would never know it from the recording.  The cowbells are not as audible, and the hammerblows are not the best, the trumpets are quiet quiet in that one spot near the end of the Finale, but this recording has many other redeeming qualities.  The sonics are incredible; this recording is no close-up but it does not sound distant, either.  This is not my favorite Mahler Sixth, but it is nevertheless a worthy addition to my library.
Michael

Offline Russ Smiley

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 02:11:11 AM »
Michael, thank you for the detailed review.  I am very encouraged by your remarks and now really look forward to receiving my CD from Presto later in the month.  You wrote "This is not my favorite Mahler Sixth...".  Which one (ones) is (are)?
Russ Smiley

Offline Michael

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 03:10:16 AM »
No problem, Russ.  While that is not my be all and end all favorite M6, I don't think I have a one single favorite.  The high contenders are Zander (Boston), Bernstein (New York), Rattle (Bermingham), Bernstein (Vienna) and now this new Saraste, in no particular order.  I just got a copy of the Gilbert M6 from iTunes and that seems like it'll be pretty good, too, but more on that later.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 03:11:58 AM by Michael »
Michael

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 01:05:26 AM »
"The cowbells in the first interlude are more distant than in the Andante, which again fits with the context"

The cowbells are "on stage" in the slow movement, but are "off stage" in the two outer movements. This is usually done with two different sets of cowbells. However, sometimes a player simply picks up a strap with a bunch of bells hanging from it, and brings it onstage from the back. It depends on your budget and how many cowbells you've got on hand.

"Just before the piece is emerging into the final march, the trumpets are unusually quiet, but they are there"

If you're talking about where the upper strings are doing their fast, 16th note runs (slurred over, so that are either 8 or 16 notes per bow stroke), that's a good thing! The trumpets can very easily bury the strings there.

"The A major passage just before the collapse is definitely heavier, more intense"

Good. That makes me want to hear this, as this one of THE KEY passages of the entire symphony.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 01:54:27 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline Michael

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2011, 01:31:48 AM »
Well, that would explain it!  ;-)

Thanks.
Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk