Author Topic: Boulez-CSO Mahler 7 on PBS Great Performances Tonight  (Read 7317 times)

Offline James Meckley

Boulez-CSO Mahler 7 on PBS Great Performances Tonight
« on: October 27, 2010, 04:19:09 PM »
Pierre Boulez and the Chicago Symphony will perform Mahler 7 tonight on the PBS Great Performances series. My local station is airing it at 9:00PM EDT. Boulez is filling in for the ailing Riccardo Muti, who had planned a different program.

I know this conflicts with World Series game 1, but sometimes tough decisions have to be made.

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline John Kim

Re: Boulez-CSO Mahler 7 on PBS Great Performances Tonight
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 05:29:55 PM »
Pierre Boulez and the Chicago Symphony will perform Mahler 7 tonight on the PBS Great Performances series. My local station is airing it at 9:00PM EDT. Boulez is filling in for the ailing Riccardo Muti, who had planned a different program.

I know this conflicts with World Series game 1, but sometimes tough decisions have to be made.

James

A solution:

I will watch the WS game while my ears will be listening to the concert (from another TV set) ;D :D.

John,

Offline Michael

• Adagio Appassionato, Addolorato A Niente
    • My Railroad Audio Recordings
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 11:07:20 PM »
Is anyone going to be recording this?

Michael

Offline sbugala

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 12:25:51 AM »
I will, but our PBS station seems to compress the signal. The sound almost always sucks.

Offline mahler09

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 10:52:48 AM »
I saw it last night too!  It's also playing a few other days this week (but very late at night) and, better yet, they are streaming the entire concert on the WGBH website:
http://www.wgbh.org/programs/episode.cfm?featureid=21196

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 12:04:52 AM »
I don't know what anyone else thought, but I was pretty disappointed. Boulez seemed utterly detached—more so than usual—his head buried in the score. The orchestra played well enough, but without inspiration. Overall, a snoozer.

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 01:15:23 AM »
As much as I admire Boulez, I think that the 7th symphony needs a "younger" touch. I know that that's "age-ist", but the last two movements require a lot of shifts in tempo - both big and small. The symphony truly needs to come-to-life in the last two movements, and PARTICULARLY in the back half of the finale. Boulez conducted the 7th iin a sort of Horenstein-like, "one size fits all" manner in the finale; minimizing the necessary gear changes in tempi. Sure, the CSO played well enough - why wouldn't they. But there needs to be more insanity in the last 10 minutes of the piece - more of a sense of Mahler making parody of himself and the entire "overblown", late romantic idiom. It needs to sound fun and goofy, not just modern. If nothing else, at least try to look the part somewhat.

Barry
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 01:38:55 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline mahler09

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 01:16:02 AM »
I thought that he was pretty stoic too...
Especially considering he was conducting a composer like Mahler whose music has so much emotion in it!

Well said Barry.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 12:02:46 AM »
Here's what the Chicago Tribune had to say. We have to remember that Boulez stepped in to do this at the last moment. Maybe he left his vitamin pills behind.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-10-16/entertainment/ct-live-1016-cso-review-20101016_1_gustav-mahler-pierre-boulez-second-vienna-school

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 10:03:08 AM »
I watched the last two movements of this again, late tonight (after the Giants victory). I really don't think that the problem here is Boulez, although he certainly could have come a bit more "unglued" in the back half of the finale. I've always wondered why the C.S.O. has never been my favorite Mahler orchestra, and I'm convinced that the hall is a big part of the problem. I heard them do Mahler 7 in Carnegie Hall, under Barenboim, and they sounded so much better.

Hearing the CSO in Orchestra Hall is not terribly unlike hearing the LSO in The Barbican. You can hear the woodwinds in Orchestra Hall, but the acoustics make them sound so dry and ugly. The clarinets, in particular, really seem problematic. I also just think that their percussion section isn't all that great. I guess that comes from decades of the brass calling the shots there, I don't know.  And the hall isn't terribly flattering to the brass either (even though they play with great competence). The horns sit in the row in front of the low brass in a single line. They use those Geyer horns, which become very "bracky" sounding when blasted upon on at a full fortissimo (they sound great at softer dynamics). I would try to place the horns in the back row, and try to get them to blow a bit softer (let the back wall do the work). Either that, or get some big Conn 8D's into the mix (or Wiener single F horns). You can make space by pushing the trombones one chair over; sit the tuba one row closer, and divide the percussion across two tiers. I would also keep the trumpets off to the left side, and ask them to use German rotary valve trumpets (they generally have faster bell tapers that mellow the sound a tad).

The percussion are a little "off" too. The timpani are a bit dry and thuddy sounding. In that hall, I think you need to use sticks that are just a notch "mushier" in density and sound. Striking the cowbells with small mallets is effective for softer passages, but for the end of the finale, you really ought to have two players holding up two straps of cowbells and shaking the daylights out of them. Also, for the "tiefe glocken" part, why not bring a few large bells on to the stage instead of the ubiquitous tubular chimes (holy doorbells)? Pretty much all orchestras have a set, so why not make use of them.

There's no question that this orchestra really knows its Mahler. I just think that the hall makes it a bit dry, sterile, and brittle sounding. The unflattering acoustics also bring out the minor shortcomings of their woodwinds and percussion. These things weren't at all noticeable in Carnegie Hall. There, they sounded much more blended without individual strands becoming inaudible or too "muddy" sounding. 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 10:10:43 AM by barry guerrero »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk