Author Topic: Boulez "Das Klagende Lied/Lulu Suite" coming from DG (Vienna Phil.)  (Read 6349 times)

Offline James Meckley

Re: Boulez "Das Klagende Lied/Lulu Suite" coming from DG (Vienna Phil.)
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 07:22:57 AM »
Any info on whether this might be the original version of Das klagende Lied?

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline Roffe

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 02:00:22 PM »
The Lulu-suite clocks at around 37 minutes (Abbado) and DKL 3-movement version at around around 70 minutes in Boulez' LSO recording, my conclusion is that it must be the 2 movement revised version.

Roffe

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 03:22:29 PM »
Looks very promising. I LOVE Boulez's DKL with LSO.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 04:55:28 AM »
"my conclusion is that it must be the 2 movement revised version"

I'm sure you know this, but ALL of the three movement versions are 'hybrids' with the exception of Kent Nagano, who truly uses the first version throughout. In other words, "Waldmaerchen" was dropped from the revised version. I've never found an adequate explanation as to why Mahler dropped it. Did the text really change that much?

Offline mike bosworth

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 02:49:44 PM »
The original 3-part 1880 version of Das klagende Lied is a personal favorite of mine.  In addition to the Nagano recording, there are at least two more out there that are 'commercially' available.  One is the Colorado Mahlerfest rendition from a few years back (cond. Robert Olson) which should be available at their website.  Another is the Vladimir Jurowski one out on DVD (but whose tempos I found to be too swift for my taste). 

This 1880 version has become a popular one in performance in recent years.  I have 'air checks' taken from concerts at which it was conducted by Alan Gilbert, Jaap van Zweden, and Danièle Gatti.

Mike Bosworth
Hanoi

P.S. I will be attended the Vietnam première of M9 at the Hanoi Opera House on Friday night, and will try to post a brief report here afterwards...

Offline ptoye

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 05:45:48 PM »
"my conclusion is that it must be the 2 movement revised version"

I'm sure you know this, but ALL of the three movement versions are 'hybrids' with the exception of Kent Nagano, who truly uses the first version throughout. In other words, "Waldmaerchen" was dropped from the revised version. I've never found an adequate explanation as to why Mahler dropped it. Did the text really change that much?

I'm new here, but have been a Mahler devotee since the time that there was only one recording (Walter) of the 1st!

In answer to Barry, my own view is that the first part is musically inferior to the other 2 parts. It keeps starting and stopping between the stanzas of the poem. I remember discussing this with Pierre Boulez (name-dropping I know) in the late 1960s and that was his view. So, unless he changed it, his new disc is probably of the revised version.

There are a lot of changes to the orchestration of parts 2 & 3 in the revised version, (I suspect for the better) and one whole passage has been rewritten, which is a bit of a shame as it is quite weird in the original - polytonal and polyrhythmic. I don't have the Nagano and it's now unavailable except at a gold-plated price from Amazon.

Hope this helps.
Peter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk