Author Topic: Boulez Mahler box out this Tues (11/19), incl's "Das Klagende Lied"  (Read 3836 times)

Offline barry guerrero

Hi everyone,

The various websites, including DG's own, made no mention of the new Boulez Mahler box including the new "Das Klagende Lied" (Vienna Phil.). It does - they added it on at the end of the third symphony. I like the layout of this box very much. Of course, it doesn't include a complete 10th, but rather a very fine Cleveland performance of just the Adagio. "Totenfeier" is added on at the end of the first symphony. There's no "Blumine", but that's not a big deal, is it? I may trade a bunch of stuff towards getting this box. The whole of Boulez's cycle is better than the sum of its parts, don't you think? (I do).

Offline umbernisitani

Re: Boulez Mahler box out this Tues (11/19), incl's "Das Klagende Lied"
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 02:46:40 AM »
Actually you can buy every instalment of the Boulez box individually.  The box just provides a cheaper, bulk alternative.  But any way you collect it, there's no denying the controversialness and subsequent rewardingness of the music-making.

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 02:50:16 AM »
Hi everyone,

The various websites, including DG's own, made no mention of the new Boulez Mahler box including the new "Das Klagende Lied" (Vienna Phil.). It does - they added it on at the end of the third symphony. I like the layout of this box very much. Of course, it doesn't include a complete 10th, but rather a very fine Cleveland performance of just the Adagio. "Totenfeier" is added on at the end of the first symphony. There's no "Blumine", but that's not a big deal, is it? I may trade a bunch of stuff towards getting this box. The whole of Boulez's cycle is better than the sum of its parts, don't you think? (I do).

Yes, it certainly is! My favorite may be the M4 with Cleveland. I also still enjoy his M8.

--Todd.

Offline akiralx

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 11:48:16 PM »
I listened to his M2 yesterday - that is a hell of a good performance.  Boulez wisely plays the less than top-class sections of the Finale at quite a quick tempo.  His attack on the final note of the symphony is pretty much unparalleled I think. 

From his cycle I also like the M7 - and the M3 SACD a lot, though maybe Honeck's Pittsburgh SACD (and Kobayashi's Exton one) surpasses it now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk