Author Topic: Gielen / Hannsler Recordings?  (Read 11840 times)

Offline chalkpie

Re: Gielen / Hannsler Recordings?
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 02:28:44 AM »
This M6 1st movement seems to piss off a lot of people due to the tempo, but I think it's menacng and gruesome - yum!  ;D

I'd much rather live with this movement than say Bernstein's Mario Andretti/Dale Earnhardt approach.

Offline Damfino

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2010, 01:51:41 PM »
Yesterday, I downloaded the Gielen set from Amazon for $17.98. I have long wanted to hear this set after listening to samples. I don't know if the $17.98 is an error or not, but i was able to download all the symphonies plus the M10 adagio last night.

There is one definite error in the download. The first movement of M2 is missing half of it. Only the final 10 minutes or so are there. I took a look at iTunes' offering of this download, and their M2 1st movement is identical. I have not had the time to see if there are any other missing parts of movements. So far, I have only had time to list to M9 and the M10 adagio, both of which I enjoyed. I guess after I listen to what is left of M2, I will have to decide whether or not to buy the CD separately to get the rest of the first movement and have a complete set.

Offline chris

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2010, 03:43:12 PM »
There is one definite error in the download. The first movement of M2 is missing half of it. Only the final 10 minutes or so are there. I took a look at iTunes' offering of this download, and their M2 1st movement is identical. I have not had the time to see if there are any other missing parts of movements.

I'd highly recommending sending a complaint!  I downloaded Honeck's M1 which had some skips in the finale.  I explained the problem and because it was a flaw in the file itself they gave me a refund.

Offline chalkpie

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2010, 05:53:35 AM »
>Wunderhorn: "I'm curious of what anyone thinks of Gielen's 1st and 10th"

Gielen's M1 is my desert island choice at this time. It pretty much sounds perfect (if that exists) in just about every aspect of how I envision this symphony. The crescendos are blaring and he is equally as tender and sensitive when called for. The recording is really, really good also. You can crank this one until the cows come home and then some. It's a no-brainer AFAIC.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 07:04:22 AM »
I have not heard all of Gielen's Mahler recordings. But of the ones I've heard - M3, M5-M7, M9, and M10 I like the M3rd, M6th, and especially, the M7th very much.

John,

Offline mahler09

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 07:41:11 PM »
I haven't heard any of his recordings myself.  How do they compare to other conductors?  Are they worthwhile? 

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2010, 09:14:01 PM »
>Wunderhorn: "I'm curious of what anyone thinks of Gielen's 1st and 10th"

Gielen's M1 is my desert island choice at this time. It pretty much sounds perfect (if that exists) in just about every aspect of how I envision this symphony. The crescendos are blaring and he is equally as tender and sensitive when called for. The recording is really, really good also. You can crank this one until the cows come home and then some. It's a no-brainer AFAIC.

Agreed.  Easily among the best M1's.  
Scott

Offline chalkpie

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2010, 01:38:01 AM »
>I haven't heard any of his recordings myself.  How do they compare to other conductors?  Are they worthwhile? 

I guess that depends on what you are looking for in this music. It seems like us Mahler "nutjobs"  ;D can't get enough of hearing alternative views of what he was trying to say, so in that regard, I would say yes, it is always worth hearing another angle on this music. Now having said that, this set is quite pricey $$$$, so try and shop it at a discount if possible. I got mine from an Amazon vendor used for about $70 or so, which is a great price for this set.

As for the actual music, Gielen is not overly sentimental, but I do hear a lot of passion. He is amazing at points and great-to-good at others. If you dig the modernist aspects of the scores, you will probably find a lot to like here. If you go for the bombast, look elsewhere. It's not a perfect cycle (what is?) but there are moments and entire movements that are exemplary. The finale of M2 is a tad underwhelming for instance, but his M6 finale is as good as it gets to my ears. There is a TON of music here, so don't expect miracles at every corner, but overall it is a great sounding (albeit to varying degrees) set that is very consistent. And no worries on the SWF Sinfonieorchester Baden-Baden and Freiburg (say that 20 times fast...) - they can play their asses off and then some.

I personally wouldn't want to live without it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk