Author Topic: Barenboim?  (Read 4107 times)

Offline chalkpie

Barenboim?
« on: August 12, 2010, 03:39:18 PM »
What's up with Barenboim recording GM these days? Did he ever intend do a complete cycle or is M5, M7, and M9 all that we are going to see?

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: Barenboim?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 03:09:27 AM »
He's conducted Mahler fests with Boulez...I think twice...and he usually does the M5, M7 and M9 at these events (I may be mistaken).  He's great, but he has said he isn't doing a cycle.

--Todd

Offline chalkpie

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 03:26:10 AM »
I see. Thanks. It's too bad - I really dig all three of his GM recordings.

BTW, here is an interview with him discussing Mahler. When he first started talking, I thought his pants were on fire  :P

http://vimeo.com/5102235

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 05:40:46 AM »
More than anything, it's probably just Warner Classical cutting back on new projects. Also, Barenboim has many musical interests other than Mahler. That's a healthy thing! If Barenboim wanted to record a complete cycle, he would have to do it with an orchestra that would be willing to make their own downloads and/or cd's. Either that, or get a smaller label to record him with a relatively low budget orchestra. In Germany, government subsidies are being cut back all around.

Offline Zoltan

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 10:37:17 AM »
There were actually three Mahler run-throughs: Two in Berlin and one in New York.
Just like some other conductors past and present (Fischer will never do M8 for example and Haitink doesn't to do any more either) he concentrates on the works he wants to conduct. He has come only recently to Mahler and who knows what the future might bring? And as Barry said, I think he does a lot of work around the world, conducts a lot of opera (the Staatskappelle is the orchestra of the Berlin State Opera) but also gives piano recitals. Busy man.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk