Author Topic: Musicweb gives a rave review for Nott/BSO/Tudor M2nd SACD  (Read 9672 times)

Offline John Kim

Musicweb gives a rave review for Nott/BSO/Tudor M2nd SACD
« on: May 06, 2010, 01:10:50 AM »
REVIEW
RECORDING OF THE MONTH    

Printable version

Advertising Rates
Visitor stats
MusicWeb International
has over 30,000 Classical CD reviews on offer

Gerard Hoffnung Concerts &
The Bricklayer Story

Naxos Classical

New Releases

Hyperion
New Releases

Gustav MAHLER (1860-1911)
Symphony No. 2 in C minor Resurrection (1894) [84:17]
Anne Schwanewilms (soprano); Lioba Braun (contralto)
Chor der Bayerische Symphoniker/Rolf Beck
Bamberger Symphoniker and Bayerische Staatsphilharmonie/Jonathan Nott
rec. 14-15 March 2008, Joseph-Keilberth-Saal, Konzerthalle Bamberg, Germany Sung texts included
2 SACDs for the price of 1
TUDOR 7158 [32:53 + 51:24]
Experience Classicsonline

This first of two Mahler centenaries is well under way, with bargain boxes from EMI and Universal, Zinman’s Eighth (RCA), Norrington’s Ninth (Hänssler) and a soon-to-be-released Second from Jansons (RCO Live). If this year’s BBC Proms is anything to go by there’s bound to be plenty of live Mahler, too. Speaking of which Klaus Tennstedt’s famous live ‘Resurrection’ from February 1989 has just been released (LPO OO44), but as much as I enjoy his Mahler I found this performance much too self-indulgent; a far cry from his sinewy First on BBC Legends - review - which is at the top of my list of preferred versions of that symphony.

The British conductor Jonathan Nott has recorded several Mahler symphonies so far, of which I have heard only the First - review. There seems to be a real buzz of excitement in Bamberg, with Nott being spoken of in hushed tones normally reserved for the likes of Haitink and Abbado. With such high expectations perhaps it’s not surprising that I wasn’t bowled over by Nott’s First, which struck me as rather mannered. But as I’ve discovered with Mahler cycles past and present, one disappointment is no guide to the quality of the rest. Zinman’s unfurling series is a case in point, the Second, Fourth and Fifth excellent, the Eighth probably the least satisfying so far.

With that in mind I approached Nott’s ‘Resurrection’ with some enthusiasm. The agitated opening bars are perhaps a little more deliberate than usual, but within seconds it’s clear something remarkable is happening here. Aided by a hugely expansive yet detailed recording, Nott delivers a hard punch with the first climax at 1:58, percussion and timps as thrilling as I’ve ever heard them. This is shaping up to be a taut, athletic performance, trimmed of all fat, and that’s greatly to be welcomed. Roger Norrington’s Mahler is also commendably lean, but I do find he emaciates the music somewhat; Nott is less extreme, the hard muscle and sinew of this music very much in evidence.

As for the Bamberger Symphoniker and Bayerische Staatsphilharmonie, they play with admirable focus and precision. The all-important horns are beautifully blended, the timps crisp and clear. Nott is focused and coherent where rivals are apt to sound episodic or wayward, and anyone who thinks he’s a lightweight should hear the aural rabbit punches at 13:43. Such unexpected intensity - perhaps ferocity is the better word - will have you reeling; it certainly did me. That said, Nott scales these climaxes very well indeed, so it never seems as if one is being bludgeoned at every turn. The intervening passages are imaginatively coloured - the tam-tam tolls like a giant bell - and seamlessly delivered. Not surprisingly, the final downward spiral - impossibly slow in Rattle’s much-vaunted version - is swifter and more emphatic than usual.

The Wunderhorn lilt of the Andante is beautifully captured, with none of the stilted phrasing that disfigures Nott’s reading of the First, the strings as rapt as one could hope for. Unusually for a live recording the musicians aren’t too closely miked, the soundstage as deep as it is wide. The level of detail isn’t compromised either - the gentle timp strokes are especially atmospheric - but it’s the agile strings that deserve the most praise here. In fact, this music has seldom sounded so translucent, the rhythms so deft. Very impressive.

The timps at the start of the third movement are wonderfully virile - a distinctive feature of this recording - the lower strings as supple as ever. Nott doesn’t pull the music about like Tennstedt in that live ‘Resurrection’ - a major turn-off for me - and one senses he has a firm grasp of the work’s structure, one eye fixed on its ultimate destination. Which is why that titanic moment at 9:09 - which looks forward to the final movement - is so exalting; indeed, the finale has never been so eagerly anticipated, the heavenly vista so tantalisingly glimpsed. It really doesn’t get much better than this; Nott’s reading is as beautifully constructed and played as any, the recording - especially in its SACD form - setting new standards for this glorious work.

‘Urlicht’ can so easily make or break a performance of this symphony, as indeed it does in Boulez’s recent recording. There Michelle DeYoung is just too uneven for music of such purity and line, but here Lioba Braun is simply ravishing. She is set further back than usual, but that makes her child-heaven solo all the more ethereal. Impeccable brass chording and well-judged tempi add to the sheer loveliness of this music. Intensely moving, it’s one of the highest points in a performance with more than its fair share of epiphanies. But the greatest peaks have yet to be scaled, and that wild outburst at the start of the final movement - there’s that tolling tam-tam again - will pin you to your seat.

The offstage brass are easily heard, while in the orchestra itself there’s a new sense of excitement, the Resurrection motif sounding as spine-tingling as it should. It’s remarkable how Nott keeps up the tension yet still manages to relish - and revel in - Mahler’s glowing instrumental colours. The weight of the solemn brass is just perfect, the timps and cymbals superbly rendered. As for those famous crescendi, they emerge with a scale and ferocity that’s frankly terrifying, while in the ensuing passages the growl and rasp of brass has seldom been so well captured on record.

Another of those make-or-break points comes with the first entry of the choir, which can so easily seem too soft or imprecise. The Bavarian singers, nicely placed in the stereo spread, sing clearly and with an almost monastic gravitas that seems entirely apt at this point. Anne Schwanewilms sings with great authority, Nott never allowing the musical pulse to flutter or fade, the sense of approaching apotheosis firmly maintained. And what an apotheosis it is, triggered by the chorus’s cry of ‘Bereite dich’. The earth-cracking timps, radiant voices and full-bodied organ - the latter so often an afterthought - all contribute to a final peroration that’s as close to the live experience as I’ve ever encountered.

I’ve no hesitation in saying this ‘Resurrection’ is one of the finest I’ve heard in years, live or on record. Yes, Zinman’s is still a wonderfully tactile performance, full of light and shade, but Nott’s highly concentrated, less sentimental reading packs the bigger punch. I nominated the Zinman as one of my recordings of 2008; the Nott goes straight to the top of my list for 2010.

Not to be missed.

Dan Morgan

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Musicweb gives a rave review for Nott/BSO/Tudor M2nd SACD
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 03:29:45 AM »
I guess it's just me. I've tried and tried with Nott's Mahler 9. He does everything correct - crosses all the "T"s, and dots all of the "I"s, and it still doesn't do a thing for me; it's just there - nothing more. I don't know - I think the somewhat drab sounding recordings don't help. And as far as Mahler 2 goes, I'm looking forward to the Paavo Jarvi one coming out soon. If nothing else, I'll bet it'll be a better sounding recording than the Tudor.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 05:06:21 AM »
Does anyone know what DH think of Nott's M9th?

Why has he not submitted his review yet?? ???

John,

Offline Zoltan

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 09:51:50 AM »
Does anyone know what DH think of Nott's M9th? Why has he not submitted his review yet?? ???

Perhaps he listens just a bit less to Mahler's 9th than you do? ;)

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 03:40:36 PM »
Does anyone know what DH think of Nott's M9th? Why has he not submitted his review yet?? ???

Perhaps he listens just a bit less to Mahler's 9th than you do? ;)
I hope not.

I know he LOVES the piece as much as I do :D ;D.

Perhaps Tudor has not yet submitted a copy for him to review. He once told me he never reviews unless the company sends the CDs to him.

John,

Offline Dave H

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 03:42:25 AM »
No, John, I never said that. I often purchase discs and review them if they interest me for my own collection, but if they do not, then I generally wait to see if the label sends me a copy for review. I also think it's important that the labels make the effort and care enough to want a review, because if they don't care enough to submit a disc for review, then why should we bother with it? Anyway, to answer your question, I have the Nott 9th and am listening to it this weekend.

Dave H

Offline Nathaniel

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 05:15:32 AM »
I haven't heard Nott's 2nd, but his 9th is fantastic. It's very driven, dark and restless. Mahler with balls.

I did hear Tennstedt 2nd and unfortunately wasn't too impressed. It started great, very determined, purposeful, but lost focus as it progressed, I thought (though it picked up again but a bit too little too late).

From the relatively new releases I still can't get over the Honeck Mahler 1st. It's sensational! I've never heard a more dramatic, suspenseful -- in a storytelling sort of way -- performance of the 1st.

And as far as other "new" Mahler conductors: Noseda -- The 10th is great, I think. I've heard a broadcast of Noseda's Mahler 6th with the BBC which was fantastic (I believe from the proms last year). His recent 7th with the BBC was, in my opinion, a yawn. On the other hand, another "new" Mahler one -- I did hear only recently one of the absolute best Mahler 7th I've ever heard. It's a broadcast from 2004 with Ilan Volkov. I also heard some Gatti from recent Paris concerts. I thought both the 2nd and the 3rd were nothing to write home about. Norrington's 9th I thought was thin, dry, dreadful.

Has anybody heard Wigglesworth's 6th? I really like this conductor. I've heard a beautiful 4th from last year with Banse and the BSO. And of course his really old Mahler 10th and his old and new remarkable DSCH.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 05:42:17 AM »
I generally agree on Wigglesworth. I've always thought he would be a very good Mahler conductor. And yes, his M10th is one of the best I've ever heard. Very dramatic with a huge dynamic contrast, which also characterized his Shosy recordings. I hope he will record/conduct more Mahler.

John,

Offline John Kim

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 06:14:29 AM »
Nott's M9th is similar to Chailly's recording on Decca. I've seen many lukewarm reviews of the Chailly, so it's not surprising that some folks are not too hot about the Nott. I'd say, turn the volume up and listen on a SACD player to appreciate the fullness of the sound as well as the performance.

John,

Offline Nathaniel

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 06:29:00 AM »

Maybe. I haven't heard the Chailly for a long time. From memory it was much more pretty, slick than Nott which has an attitude and is more angry, nasty, gritty. By the way I was disappointed with Alan Gilbert. I saw him at a concert with the LA Phil doing a crazy 9th, so my expectations were really high. I couldn't get into the CD. I've now made a special effort and heard it three times hoping to realize that my first impression was wrong. It's just average in my opinion.

Nott's M9th is similar to Chailly's recording on Decca. I've seen many lukewarm reviews of the Chailly, so it's not surprising that some folks are not too hot about the Nott. I'd say, turn the volume up and listen on a SACD player to appreciate the fullness of the sound as well as the performance.

John,

Offline John Kim

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 06:38:46 AM »
Yes, Nott's Lander is probably the most dramatic, agitated (but controlled), and rhythmically intense version I've ever heard. Listen to the thundering timpani!! :o

Chailly was not this intense but his orchestra compensated for the lack of dramatic elements.

As for the Gilbert, I wouldn't make my argument because there are folks here on the board who LOVE this recording :-*. I like Gibert's way with the Adagio, but find the first movt. somewhat lacking subtlety and nuance.

John,
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 06:42:04 AM by John Kim »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 06:46:04 AM »
Funny, I feel just the opposite. I like Alan Gilbert's Mahler 9 very much. Then again, I like performances that shorten up the first movement, but still keep the last movement in the 25 to 27 minute range. The problem with performances that do such a bang-up job on the first movement, is that they inadvertently shift all the weight and attention on to the first movement. As a result, pretty much everything that comes afterwords sounds anti-climactic, or like an afterthought. Let's be honest, in M9, the material that comes after the first movement isn't nearly as good from a purely technical, or purely musical standpoint. It just isn't. The first movement may be the single greatest thing he ever wrote. As a result, it's very easy for a performance to sound as though it should have just stopped after the first movement. The Gielen M9 very much strikes me that way.

I do like Noseda's Mahler 10 very much. Some feel he's a bit too light weight, but I like his pacing for the entire work. I also heard the BBC broadcast of his Mahler 6, and really liked his swift tempi for the inner movements. I'm so sick of everybody taking the Andante Moderato as an Adagio, which it ain't. I also have a burn job of Volkov doing M7, and it's quite good - just as you say. Based on both his Hamburg and Montreal performances, my favorite conductor for M7 has been Kent Nagano.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 06:56:39 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline Nathaniel

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 07:06:28 AM »
I haven't heard Nagano's M7. I'm always jumping on any M7, hoping to discover something new and am almost always disappointed. Re. Nagano's Mahler I'm still recovering from (for me) his unspeakable Lied, but the 7th is of course another story.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 07:54:56 AM »
I didn't listen to Nagano's "DLvdE". Then again, I avoid tenor/baritone versions of that work unless they're truly exceptional (Bernstein/VPO comes to mind). However, I did listen to some short snippets of it at Amazon (or some other e-tailer), and they sounded pretty lousy to me. If somebody is going to do a mediocre or sucky "DLvdE", I think they should stick to doing it tenor/mezzo. The mezzo provides a badly needed change of color.

I like Nagano's M7 because he's the only person I've heard who's grasped the concept that the 7th shouldn't go fast during the first two movements, and should gradually gain speed to the very end of the symphony. Conductors who do the finale quite fast, generally do the first two movements fast as well (or at least the first movement). Conversely, conductors who do the first two movements slowly, fail to pull the plug out their arse for the last two movements. To me, the 7th should be a giant, gradual accelerando from start to finish - roughly speaking (I'm making an obvious exaggeration to make a point).

My best M6 is a hybrid I put together: Nagano/DSO Berlin on the outer two movements, and Rattle/B.P.O on the inner two movements. Since they're both Berlin based orchestras that play in the Philharmonie, the sound matches remarkably well.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 08:08:34 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline Nathaniel

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 10:36:26 PM »
Based on both his Hamburg and Montreal performances, my favorite conductor for M7 has been Kent Nagano.

Thanks! So I've now located and listened to Nagano's Montreal performance. I can see why you like it. It's bold, assertive, tight, melodic, optimistic -- I guess. It was really good to find it and give it a listen. My own opinion -- it's too cool, clean and dandy (for me). No secrets, no dark, edgy, disturbing qualities. But it's a question of taste, the Nagano is certainly very "professional" and quite appealing. I've recently heard Mahler 7th in the remastered (beautifully) Bernstein Sony box. I thought it was a fantastic performance. Not unlike Nagano, it's also an assured, masculine and really happy performance, but it has a deeper, unsettling undercurrent, seems to me. Anyway, thanks again and a good weekend! -- Nathaniel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk