Author Topic: Asahina M2 Osaka Philharmonic  (Read 5711 times)

Wunderhorn

Asahina M2 Osaka Philharmonic
« on: March 06, 2007, 02:14:30 AM »
I had this recording on my computer and lost it after recovering.  :'(  I remember being absolutely obsessed with the third movement. Fischer's clips seem a reasonable solution for my addiction now. I'm curious If Asahina's recording is still in print. I know he was more a Brucknerian, but he had quite a way with this work that must be heard.

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: Asahina M2 Osaka Philharmonic
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 03:15:03 AM »
I found this on the web recently...check it out.

Das lied von der Erde

Takashi ASHAHINA, conductor
Naoko IHARA, mezzo
Makoto HAYASHI, tenor
Osaka Symphony Orchestra
19-X-1984

http://rapidshare.com/files/7943207/Das_Lied_Asahina.zip

Wunderhorn

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 03:38:09 AM »
Thank you Leo K, I've seen much in regards to his Das Lied, but haven't ever listened to it.. ;D

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 08:54:53 AM »
Well, there was certainly no shortage of percussion on the Asahina Mahler recordings!   :)However, they also included a good number of missed and "fracked" notes in the brass. They were rather expansive, but the climaxes were quite huge. Naturally, the excellent sonics from Canyon Classics didn't hurt.

Barry

Offline Eric Nagamine

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 08:57:03 AM »
I had this recording on my computer and lost it after recovering.  :'(  I remember being absolutely obsessed with the third movement. Fischer's clips seem a reasonable solution for my addiction now. I'm curious If Asahina's recording is still in print. I know he was more a Brucknerian, but he had quite a way with this work that must be heard.

It appears to be still in print at least at Tower Japan though the label is no longer in business issuing classical music. Pony-Canyon Classics issued one of (3)? of Asahina's recordings of the 2nd.

http://www.towerrecords.co.jp/sitemap/CSfCardMain.jsp?GOODS_NO=149490&GOODS_SORT_CD=102

IMO, Asahina's work with his Osaka Band was  usually his best. In the various Mahler recordings that appeared on the Pony-Canyon Classics, the conducting and Osaka Phil's playing was excellent, but the singing left alot to be desired.

Eric Nagamine

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 04:53:00 PM »
...but the singing left alot to be desired.

Eric Nagamine

Indeed.  The singing on the Canyon DLvdE is not particularly enjoyable.  I saw the previously mentioned download on OperaShare and decided to pass on it based on my experience with the Asahina's commercial version. 
Scott

Offline Jot N. Tittle

• Meine Zeit wird noch kommen.
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 05:51:19 PM »
I just downloaded it, am listening to it now. Why do I think of Bert Lahr's singing in The Wizard of Oz;D

. & '

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk