General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

The Abbado Berlin M6

(1/2) > >>

Leo K:
I got this for Christmas (among other recordings) and just heard it for the first time last night.  Wow, I was really blown away.  My favorite M6's are the Karajan, Barbirolli, Haitink (live in Japan) and Bernstein on DG.  As you can see, I generally have liked the more exaggerated "dark" interpetations (Karajan and Haitink may be an exceptions here, and I also dig the Sanderling sometimes), but this Abbado sounds like a "happy" account...a kind of triumphant march.  I really dig this view.

Also, Abbado makes a good case for placing the Andante second (although I prefer Scherzo first).

Anyways, I'm slowly starting to feel that a more "distanced" approach works best for the 6th.

I going to try the Eschenbach soon.

barry guerrero:
Leo,

Just curious if you got this on the SACD/CD hybrid disc. It's only a dollar more, and it means that even the regular CD layer would be in DSD. I've noticed a slight improvement in hybrids over non-hybrids, even on regular CD players, unless the regular CD version was also issued in DSD. It's a pretty good performance. It's very similar to the recent Ivan Fischer M6, which I think has a slightly better finale - just slightly.

Barry

Leo K:

--- Quote from: barry guerrero on December 29, 2006, 01:06:53 AM ---Leo,

Just curious if you got this on the SACD/CD hybrid disc. It's only a dollar more, and it means that even the regular CD layer would be in DSD. I've noticed a slight improvement in hybrids over non-hybrids, even on regular CD players, unless the regular CD version was also issued in DSD. It's a pretty good performance. It's very similar to the recent Ivan Fischer M6, which I think has a slightly better finale - just slightly.

Barry

--- End quote ---

I have the regular CD version...but I wonder if the CD is actually issued in DSD because the sound is so good, one of the best I've heard in my limited collection. 

I'll have to try those hybrid disks, I didn't know that they worked on a regular CD player. 

John Kim:
Leo,

You said you liked Haitink (live in Japan). But to my knowledge, there is NO such commercial recording. Are you referring to Haitink's new live recording with French National Orch.?

John,

Leo K:

--- Quote from: John Kim on December 29, 2006, 11:23:26 PM ---Leo,

You said you liked Haitink (live in Japan). But to my knowledge, there is NO such commercial recording. Are you referring to Haitink's new live recording with French National Orch.?

John,

--- End quote ---

Well, I'm not exactly sure.  It's a performance I found on Soulseek, and unfortunately...the poster didn't specify the date and location of Haitink's performance.  John, on the old board I read your review of a live Haitink M6 in Japan, and thought that could be it (there is applause immediately at the end)...but perhaps I'm mistaken here.  It sounds like a live broadcast.  Whatever it is from, it is a really great performance. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version