Author Topic: link to terrific "Alpine Sym." w/ Thielemann/V.P.O. on Youtube  (Read 5573 times)

Offline barry guerrero

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHLW9FQbBzw&feature=relmfu

This is from the Salzburg Festival and it's fabulous. Unlike the more 'finesse' style of the Dresdeners (which I love), the V.P.O. muscle their way through this baby. And how!

Note the cool looking contrabass-trombone; 2 tubas; numerous Wagner tubas (tuben); Vienna single F-horns; wind machine and thunder sheet. Too much fun for one day.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 03:42:42 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline John Kim

Re: link to terrific "Alpine Sym." w/ Thielemann/V.P.O. on Youtube
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 04:14:07 PM »
Thanks, Barry.

Is it any close to his recording on DG?

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 12:35:58 AM »
It terms of tempi, yes. But I actually think that the sound is better on the Youtube presentation. The DG one doesn't sound nearly as good as the Ozawa/V.P.O. "Alpine" on Philips either (which I have on a DVD-A).

Offline Prospero

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 12:27:04 AM »
Thank you for the great link to the Thielemann Alpine Symphony.

Best,

Tom

Offline Prospero

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 03:14:29 AM »
I just watched and listened to the whole performance. One of Strauss's greatest works in a thrilling performance.

I heard Thielemann conduct Rosenkavlalier in London three times in 2002, I believe. And at a reception for a not too good performance of Dutchman during that time, I spoke to members of the Covent Garden Opera orchestra. One violinist said he thought Thielemann was as fine as Carlos Kleiber. I'm not quite willing to go that far, but at his best and in his repertoire, Thielemann is one of the finest conductors in the world today.

Maybe he will find his way to more Mahler. But his Strauss and Wagner are marvelous and maybe his Bruckner. 

On the video you can see and hear how the Vienna Phil really plays for him, fervently.

Best to all,

Tom in Vermont

Offline david johnson

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 11:16:58 AM »
that was great fun :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk