General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

Mahler love among heavy metal fans!

(1/4) > >>

bluesbreaker:
Yep folks, you read it right. Many hard rock/metal fans also dig classical music, especially "heavy classical" such as Mahler & Wagner. Check this link:

http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1683776

That's the Mike Portnoy Forum. Mike POrtnoy is the drumer of the progressive metal band Dream Theater.

Ivor:
 And Brian May of Queen has just received his doctorate !!  What IS the world coming to.

meanwhile I plowed thru an hour-long prog on heavy metal, (part of a UK History of Rock), somewhat thru gritted teeth. I survived. I told a 30-something woman who has pop on her car radio, and she said she hated heavy metal. Thanks very much. :D

Ivor

bluesbreaker:
That means that many classical snobs should understand that many folks who are into metal or hard rock can be just as smart. ;D

Ivor:
  bb, can you say what a 'classical snob' is? Just so I'll know if I am one or not.

And just to reveal my hand, I think snobbery and elitism exist elsewhere, it's just that they go by other names --  celebrity, power couple, movers-and-shakers, A list, premiership (UK football reference), posh, exclusive, limited edition and so forth. That way, classical buffs can have everyone's denied snobbery/elitism dumped on them. In psychology, that's called 'projection'.

Ivor

bluesbreaker:
Hey Ivor,
Classical snob means the people who think classical music (western mainly) to be superior to any other non-classical music out there, and they think they are more intellectual and smarter than people who arent listening classical music.
Disclaimer: I didin't mean anyone in this forum!
Sure, there are elitism everywhere, but the "classical elitism" attitude is very prominent where I live, and that makes me sick.
I like Mahler and classical music in general because I like it. Nothing more, nothing less. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version