General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

Question on DVD-A disc & Rattle/BPO/EMI M10th

(1/3) > >>

John Kim:
For example, Rattle/BPO/EMI M10 is available in this format. Can I play it on a regular DVD player? Or do I need DVD-A player? I am confused...

How does this sound compared to same recording on regular CD?

The more I listen to this performance the more I am bowled over by it.

John,

barry guerrero:
John,

I don't own the DVD-A of the Rattle/BPO M10. However, I can tell you that the standard DVD issue of his M8 (no video to go along with the sound) sounds much better than the redbook CD. I also own the box that contains both a regular DVD of Rattle/BPO doing M5, plus a DVD-A issue of the same recording. I don't remember the DVD-A sounding that much better than the redbook CD - which really didn't sound very good - or much different than the regular DVD that came in the same box. So, I'm guessing that the DVD-A of Rattle's BPO M10 would sound better, but maybe not hugely so. And YES, you do have to own a player that is capable of playing back DVD-A's. I really like them.

Barry

Eric Nagamine:

--- Quote from: John Kim on September 01, 2007, 05:09:02 AM ---For example, Rattle/BPO/EMI M10 is available in this format. Can I play it on a regular DVD player? Or do I need DVD-A player? I am confused...

How does this sound compared to same recording on regular CD?

The more I listen to this performance the more I am bowled over by it.

John,

--- End quote ---

Most DVD-A's will play on a standard DVD player usually in a multi-channel sound.  However, you need DVD-A capability to get the 96/24 DVD-A play back sound.

The DVD-A that came with Rattle's Berlin M5 was stunning when played back on a DVD-A capable player. It really improved the sound so much that the performance was that much more enjoyable. No difference on a 2 channel regular DVD player though.

Eric

barry guerrero:
Thanks Eric,

I don't remember the difference being that huge for me. But, as I think about it now, perhaps I just barely sampled the DVD-A disc. My Pansonic player does have DVD-A circuitry.

Barry

John Kim:
Hi Eric,

"Most DVD-A's will play on a standard DVD player usually in a multi-channel sound.  However, you need DVD-A capability to get the 96/24 DVD-A play back sound."

Does it mean I can play Rattle/BPO Mahler DVD-A recordings on my standard DVD player and have them sound on my regular 2 channel stereo systems? But the sound won't improve that much compared to CD versions? Or, the regular DVD player will play them but there will be NO sound coming into the stereo system? I don't have 5 channels system yet.

Thanks.

John,

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version