Author Topic: Vienna New Years Konzert 2009  (Read 5758 times)

Offline barry guerrero

Vienna New Years Konzert 2009
« on: January 02, 2009, 03:46:02 AM »
Did anyone else catch the broadcast? I thought that Julie Andrews did a real good job, and I really liked the tribute to Joseph Haydn that was part of the program. I suppose Julie Andrews was the most logical choice since, A). She's a woman; B.) She was a friend of Walter Cronkite, and C.) She stared (starred?) in "The Sound Of Music".

Anyway, as a tribute to Haydn, Barenboim and the VPO performed the last movement of Haydn's "Farewell" Symphony. The Players walked off one by one (sometimes pairs would walk off) until there was just one player remaining. Barenboim did an excellent job of remaining poker faced, and acting somewhat annoyed and confused. It was a good acting job on his part. During the final encore, "Radetzky March", Barenboim cued the audience over his shoulder. The guy has a sense of humor.

On a far more serious note, just before the usual, "Die Wiener Philharmoniker und Ich wunchen euch, Prosit Neujarhr!" routine, Barenboim expressed - in English - that he wished for social justice in the Middle East. As most of you probably know, not only has Barenboim performed Wagner in Israel and worked with Palestinian students (as well as Israeli students), he has been openly critical of Israel's treatment of the Palestinians in general. Anyway, that's enough of politics. All in all, it was a pretty good show. I liked the faux Magyar dance choreography during some polka that was a tribute to the Hungarians.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 08:49:09 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline sbugala

Re: Vienna New Years Konzert 2009
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 06:41:36 AM »
I thought I had it DVR'd, but alas, that wasn't the case.  Bummer. It sounds like it would've been a good one.  I really liked last year's with Pretre.  At the time, I didn't even know Pretre was still alive.  I ended up thinking it was one of the best I had seen.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 08:47:27 AM »
Me too; I thought Pretre did a great job. He really possesses the necessary "joie de vivre" for this music.

Offline alpsman

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 07:03:14 PM »
Me too; I thought Pretre did a great job. He really possesses the necessary "joie de vivre" for this music.

So you will be happy to know that George Pretre wil be again maestro for the 2010 NYC.
For myself I think that this is a pity.
I expect Franz Welser-Most to have this honor, since he is going to run the Vienna Opera from next year. And he plays these old, dusty( but very adorable and masterful) music, with a really new and fresh way. Listen (and see) the Cleveland/Most Carnegie hall concert and judge for yourself. The Annen polka is miles different from the heavy way Barenboim did it.

Also it will be intreresting to see for this concert conductors like Rattle, Gergiev, Dudamel or Thielemann. But there is time for everyone. Pretre will be 85 years old next year.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 07:34:43 PM »
Yes, but while I did enjoy Pretre's conducting in 2008, I agree that somebody else should get a shot in 2010. I think they should use someone different every year. I'm with you.

Barry

Offline Damfino

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 06:02:50 AM »
I enjoyed the show. Saw it in HD on the local PBS station. Barenboim displayed good comic timing IMO in both the "Farewell" movement and in conducting the audience in the Radetsky at the end. I also like Julie Andrews' contributions, but I wish she would lose that Victor/Victoria haircut.

Interesting that sometimes Barenboim's conducting consisted of a mere gesture at times. I did not particularly care to hear the "political" comments. I would liken them to Miss America contestants who long for "world peace".

Offline mike bosworth

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 08:17:32 AM »
I saw the second half of the concert broadcast live on NHK in Tokyo.

Mozart was played in the Mozart year, now Haydn has been played in the Haydn year.  Does that mean that some Mahler will be played in the 2010 concert (or perhaps 2011--both are legitimate Mahler 'years'). 

In the event that this would be considered by the VPO, what piece of GM's would be a good candidate?  I have thought of M2.2, M3.2, and possible M7.4. 

Any other ideas/suggestions?

Mike Bosworth (back in Hanoi)

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 09:56:29 AM »
I think M7/IV would be a fabulous choice, but it's simply too erudite for a New Years Day Konzert. Those who really know the movement would be tormented by not getting to hear the finale as well. My guess is that they would do the ubiquitous M5/IV - the "Adagietto". I would love to see them play "Blumine" from M1, but they would probably never do it. But if they did, they could do one of their Wiener Staatsoper Ballet numbers to it. It would be perfect for that.

Offline alpsman

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 10:43:45 PM »
Surely there will be no Mahler contribution from the Wiener Phil. on New year's day concert. After all the Wiener " does not like Mahler" as Maazel had said. And this is not something new, read a little history of Vienna politics in general, look at the subscribers concert and you will realise that M works are not too often performed even these days. Of course the situation with Lenny especially and to a lesser degree with Mehta and others is different. Also with the recordings there is a different attitude-you see it's money there.
But the critisism over M is still there. Solti writes in his book, that he was much surprised when the Wieners declared Richard Strauss a much better composer than Mahler.
Also there was no Schubert or Bruckner in their anniversaries.
So no Mahler in NYC. But if  I suggest Abschied from DLVDE as a sequel of the Farewell symphony. :D

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 11:20:16 PM »
Hmmmmm  .     .    I don't know; Mahler is big business for the Wieners these days. Let's just wait and see.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 10:44:49 AM »
How about one or two of the Wunderhorn songs? I know that they don't often have vocal soloists in the New Year concerts (remember Kathleen Battle with Karajan?), but I'm sure a couple of the folksy songs (Mahler in "milkmaid" mode, as Bernstein once put it) would go down well with the Viennese....

Offline mike bosworth

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 02:29:40 AM »
Well, Mahler was the VPO's conductor for three seasons, and he also took them on their first ever international tour (to Paris).  Perhaps that might count for something in their considerations for the 2010 and/or 2011 GM jubilee years?

Mike Bosworth

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk