Author Topic: Has anyone heard the Lenny/BPO/DG M9 on DG Original series?  (Read 22031 times)

Offline John Kim

Has anyone heard the Lenny/BPO/DG M9 on DG Original series?
« on: January 26, 2010, 08:51:06 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Symphony-No-9-Mahler/dp/B002UIWSL4/ref=sr_1_37?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1264538845&sr=1-37

Has anybody heard this newly remastered version?

What's the improvement in the sound?

Thanks.

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: Has anyone heard the Lenny/BPO/DG M9 on DG Original series?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 02:19:39 AM »
http://www.amazon.com/Symphony-No-9-Mahler/dp/B002UIWSL4/ref=sr_1_37?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1264538845&sr=1-37

Has anybody heard this newly remastered version?

What's the improvement in the sound?

Thanks.

John,

Man, for that price I may just have to buy it.  If it weren't for the missing trombones in the Adagio this may have become my top M9.

--Todd

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 04:21:05 AM »
If you visit ebay, you'll notice bunch of the old 2 CDs sets for sale. Which implies that the remastered version may have improved sound, let alone it's on a single disc.

Personally, I'd stick with Lenny's NYPO or RCO version for reasons I already explained; the BPO concert was undoubtedly a great occasion but musically speaking it gets on the verge of being "too far fetched". I much prefer a performance that's more rounded and better balanced even if that could mean a lower level of excitement and energy.

Still, I am tempted ... :'( :'(

John,

Offline Michael

• Adagio Appassionato, Addolorato A Niente
    • My Railroad Audio Recordings
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 03:21:59 PM »
Are they selling it in the U.S. yet?  If so, where can I get a copy?  LOL.  I've been wanting to hear this, and if the remastered version is a good deal, I'll take that.
Michael

Offline Michael

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 03:36:48 PM »
Well, it's available through DG's online store, so for me...I think I'm going to go for it.  Samples are available here: http://www2.deutschegrammophon.com/cat/result?&PRODUCT_NR=4778620&SearchString=4778620

Michael

Offline Michael

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 03:46:39 PM »
Further to my earlier comments:
I had a listen to all 4 samples, and while I do not have anything to compare it to, I overall liked what I heard.  The radio sound is still evident, particularly in the low frequencies.  However...beyond that, and a strangeness about the soundstage in the center...I'd say it's worth another look for those who already have it.
On second thought...when I get home from my orientation and mobility lesson in about an hour and a half...I will go back to the DG website and see if I can find the older release to compare the two.

And yes...while it's not evident in the first movement...wo...Lenny was sure poring on the emotion!
Michael

Offline John Kim

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 04:58:14 PM »
And yes...while it's not evident in the first movement...wo...Lenny was sure poring on the emotion!
Oh yes, you'll get plenty of that :P.

Anyway, the audio clips sound pretty good, perhaps even better than the previous 2CDs set.

John,

Offline brunumb

Offline Michael

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 12:16:03 AM »
I looked and found it available on iTunes, so I of course had to buy it.  LOL.  ;-) The sound is very good, given the source.  I will listen to it [or as much of it as I get around to] later tonight...M9, especially the last movement, is best when played after midnight.  LOL.
Oh, and at what point in the last movement are the trombones missing?  I am somewhat familiar with the movement from having listened to it many times, but I would like to know the exact timeframe I am looking for to hear this for myself.  Because nothing jumped out at me on the first listening, and I listened to where the closing pages begin.
Michael

Offline John Kim

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 12:26:40 AM »
Oh, and at what point in the last movement are the trombones missing?  I am somewhat familiar with the movement from having listened to it many times, but I would like to know the exact timeframe I am looking for to hear this for myself.  Because nothing jumped out at me on the first listening, and I listened to where the closing pages begin.
It's at the huge climax where horns and trombones play the main melody with the full blown orchestra in the background. I don't have the timing but it comes about a few min. before the final coda begins. There you won't hear the trombones, unless DG somehow put them back this time. I strongly doubt they could have done that.

Michael, please let us all know about what you find tonight.

John,

Offline Michael

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 12:33:21 AM »
John,

I will definitely keep you guys informed as to my findings this evening.  I found where the trombones are missing, and for me the trumpets playing that melody alone gives an even greater sense of desperation.  So it doesn't detract from the performance that much for me...yeah, I'd like to have it done right, but the reality is we don't and that's that.

More later this evening,
Michael

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 02:44:26 AM »
I must say I sometimes forget what a whopper this M9 can be!  I just ordered it since it is offerred so cheap...can't wait to get it now.  I had a great experience with this recording once on a trip to Phoenix...and I was in another dimension while driving! 

Looking forward to your thoughts Michael.

--Todd

Offline John Kim

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 05:22:58 AM »
I found where the trombones are missing, and for me the trumpets playing that melody alone gives an even greater sense of desperation.  So it doesn't detract from the performance that much for me...yeah, I'd like to have it done right, but the reality is we don't and that's that.

More later this evening,
So, the trombones are missing in the remastered version too :-\ :(.

John,

Offline Michael

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 05:46:03 AM »
Yeah.  My guess is that they only recorded one night's performance, so that's why we don't have any trombones by now.

For anyone following this topic for my responses tonight...should have something up within two hours.  I am on the first movement now.
Michael

Offline John Kim

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 06:52:18 AM »
I own the same concert recording on a pirate label. But it too has the trombones missing. I know there were TWO concerts in two consecutive days, but  on the second night even the horns might have been missing :-[ :'( :P.

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk