Author Topic: Has anyone heard the Lenny/BPO/DG M9 on DG Original series?  (Read 21997 times)

Offline waderice

Re: Has anyone heard the Lenny/BPO/DG M9 on DG Original series?
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2010, 04:37:01 PM »
The entire Carnegie Hall DSD-remastered Mahler symphony set by Lenny on his first traversal of the symphonies is indeed, a great improvement on the sound of the original masterings, and the $60 price tag cannot be beat as well.  It's too bad that the entire cycle, even though remastered in DSD, wasn't released domestically on SACD as well.  From what others have said about the minimal improvement in sound on the Japanese SACD releases, the much higher cost for these SACDs isn't warranted.  So I will stick with the regular CD Carnegie Hall set, despite some missing additional Mahler Bernstein items (i.e., Kindertotenlieder and some other Mahler songs by Tourel and the Wunderhorn songs by Ludwig/Berry).

BTW, one Columbia Bernstein album that I sold years ago (and now want to kick myself for doing it) is that of him accompanying Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau on some Mahler songs, and I haven't seen it become a CD release, nor have I seen a used copy of the original LP become available anywhere.  Also, I was never able to purchase the LP of the Ludwig/Berry Wunderhorn set.  If anyone has an extra copy of either album in decent condition that they would be willing to sell me, I'd like to hear from them.

Thanks, Wade

Offline John Kim

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2010, 04:41:05 PM »
BTW, one Columbia Bernstein album that I sold years ago (and now want to kick myself for doing it) is that of him accompanying Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau on some Mahler songs, and I haven't seen it become a CD release, nor have I seen a used copy of the original LP become available anywhere. 
I think these songs were included as a coupling for the original CBS release of Lenny's M3rd with NYPO.

John,

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2010, 05:38:59 PM »
BTW, one Columbia Bernstein album that I sold years ago (and now want to kick myself for doing it) is that of him accompanying Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau on some Mahler songs, and I haven't seen it become a CD release, nor have I seen a used copy of the original LP become available anywhere.  Also, I was never able to purchase the LP of the Ludwig/Berry Wunderhorn set.  If anyone has an extra copy of either album in decent condition that they would be willing to sell me, I'd like to hear from them.

Wade,

I have a Sony two-CD set titled "Leonard Bernstein: A Portrait" (P) 1991, which seems to be a European import. It contains the following material, all with Bernstein at the piano:

DISC ONE
Des Knaben Wunderhorn (13 songs)
Christa Ludwig, mezzo-soprano
Walter Berry, baritone
LB, piano
(Rec. Vienna, 1968)

DISC TWO
Four Rückert Lieder
Lieder und Gesänge aus der Jugendzeit
Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen
Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, baritone
LB, piano
(Rec. NYC, 1968)

The DF-D material is marked "First Release," which may just mean it's the first release on CD. If this is what you're looking for, contact me privately.

James

« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 07:20:17 AM by James Meckley »
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline John Kim

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2010, 05:58:31 PM »
I think all the tracks in the DISC TWO were included as a coupling to Lenny's M3rd in the CBS release.

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2010, 02:26:09 AM »
This morning heard the M4 from the new Carnagie box...another fantastic sounding performance, Lenny really gets the M4 right with his attention to the details and when to be patient and when to let go.  By the way this my first time with this particular recording and it sounds like I have a new top M4 here.  Great, great stuff.

To be honest, except for the M3 and M6 I haven't really heard Lenny's Sony Mahler...not at all!  I always stuck with his later cycle.  My bad!  But in a way I'm glad I waited for the remastered sound, because the M3 and M4 are already new top picks and now I can't wait to hear the rest of this amazing cycle.

--Todd

« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 02:28:08 AM by Leo K »

Offline John Kim

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2010, 02:57:45 AM »
There you go again, Todd! :D

Lenny's first M4th with NYPO and Griest(?) is always near the top of my favorite recordings.

Highly idiosyncratic, volatile, and full of youthful, blazing energy, this one captures the spirit of the music as perfectly as I can imagine.

John,

Offline waderice

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2010, 01:41:06 PM »
Lenny's first M4th with NYPO and Griest(?) is always near the top of my favorite recordings.

If you have access to the DVD set of Young People's Concerts, one of the concerts is dedicated entirely to Mahler, and features Grist singing the last movement of M4.  It's good to have the visual as well as the aural, as the M4 was recorded at about the same time (1960).

To my ears, Grist (and her mother, Desi Halban, who sang the same music for Bruno Walter in his recording) were the two best sopranos ever for this music.

Wade

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2010, 03:29:28 AM »
I keep listening to the M6 from Lenny's new remastered Carnigie set...I can't get over the improved sound here...the details are AMAZING.  What a FIREHOUSE this performance is!!!

And the M7 too from the same set...I am amazed over again.  Bring on the M9!

--Todd

Offline John Kim

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2010, 04:01:03 AM »
I keep listening to the M6 from Lenny's new remastered Carnigie set...I can't get over the improved sound here...the details are AMAZING.  What a FIREHOUSE this performance is!!!

--Todd

Ditto the M9th. You'll be amazed with the details that were brought out forward by the remastering, Todd.

In fact, with the exception the M5th, I'd rank this set as the best overall cycle ever recorded.

John,

Offline Russell

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2010, 06:19:54 AM »
BTW, one Columbia Bernstein album that I sold years ago (and now want to kick myself for doing it) is that of him accompanying Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau on some Mahler songs, and I haven't seen it become a CD release, nor have I seen a used copy of the original LP become available anywhere.  Also, I was never able to purchase the LP of the Ludwig/Berry Wunderhorn set.  If anyone has an extra copy of either album in decent condition that they would be willing to sell me, I'd like to hear from them.

Thanks, Wade

The Fischer-Dieskau was released as Sony SMK 61847 as part of the 'Bernstein Century' series on CD.  Here's the relevant page on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Four-Songs-Ruckert-Lieder-Wayfarer/dp/B00004SCUE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1265350346&sr=1-4

And here's the Amazon page for the Wunderhorn CD (apparently released twice by Sony!):

http://www.amazon.com/Mahler-Knaben-Wunderhorn-Youths-Magic/dp/B0000027MW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1265350442&sr=1-5

You can see this one's fetching big bucks!!!

I've got the CD of the Fischer-Dieskau but unfortunately not the Wunderhorn.  (How could that have happened???  ;D )

Russell
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 06:22:17 AM by Russell »

Offline brunumb

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2010, 12:21:40 AM »
Does the 2CD set below contain what you are looking for Wade ?  It's very inexpensive too.
http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//5153032.htm

Offline waderice

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2010, 12:28:29 AM »
I've been getting some good help from various respondents to my inquiry.  Thanks to all those who replied to my request!

Wade

Offline John Kim

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2010, 06:55:50 PM »
I finally got my copy and listened to the first two movt. Regrettably, I didn't hear much difference or improvement over the previous 2 discs set. It's nice to have the entire 4 tracks on one disc, but that's about it.

Will try to listen again sometime.

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2010, 08:17:43 PM »

--Todd

Ditto the M9th. You'll be amazed with the details that were brought out forward by the remastering, Todd.

In fact, with the exception the M5th, I'd rank this set as the best overall cycle ever recorded.

John,

Man...the remastered NYPO M9 is just incredible.  Lenny's NYPO M9 is simply one of the best M9's on record.  Definitely top tier for me from now on.  I can't get over the improved sound in this Carnagie set...it is just stunning.

--Todd

Offline merlin

• Evening Sun
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2012, 06:07:26 PM »
Although I am quite a bit late for this show, is the Carnegie box still available, and if so, where?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk