Author Topic: What Conductors Do You Wish Had Recorded Which Symphony?  (Read 17164 times)

Offline Zoltan

Re: What Conductors Do You Wish Had Recorded Which Symphony?
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2010, 10:38:10 AM »
I'd love to see a Rattle/Berlin M6...if his M9 is any indicator, it should be a smashing (no pun intended) success.

I have a radio recording of a performance of him with the combined Berlin/Vienna Philhamonics from a few years back (might've been his birthday), that I can upload if you're interested.

Offline Michael

• Adagio Appassionato, Addolorato A Niente
    • My Railroad Audio Recordings
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2010, 12:34:41 PM »
Definitely...I'd love to hear that one!
Michael

Offline Zoltan

« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2010, 12:14:20 PM »
Definitely...I'd love to hear that one!

As promised: M6 - Rattle.mp2

The performance was not on Rattle's birthday as I initially thought to remember but of a festival in Vienna where it was played. I left the German announcement at the begin (I recorded it from Ö1, Austrian Radio). No detail is revealed as to what parts of the two orchestras were combined (surely not all players).

Enjoy and report back!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 10:13:44 AM by Zoltan »

Offline Steele

« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2010, 05:08:28 PM »
There was also a live Rattle/BPO M6 from 1987 that was originally part of a special BPO live box set (a live broadcast had been available via a pirate label for many years previously).  It was finally given it's own official elease several years ago:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mahler-Symphony-No-6-Gustav/dp/3898162680/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1270141505&sr=1-1

Steele

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2010, 05:11:19 PM »
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2010, 06:43:54 PM »
Wow!  Thanks for the upload Zoltan!

--Todd

Offline Russell

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2010, 07:08:47 PM »
I've been listening to Celibidache's EMI recordings of the Bruckner 8 & 9 ((from the mid-1990's) the last couple of days, and was wondering how he would have done with Mahler, particularly the M9, M2, and perhaps the M6 and M10 Adagio.  Of course by that time in his career, his interpretations had gotten REALLY SLOW, but I find them very fascinating, and the Bruckners at least have a wonderful glow and intensity that (for me) make up for any lack of speed.  I don't believe he did much Mahler (and almost certainly not that late in his career), but I think it would have been interesting to hear.  I see that the OP already listed Celi for M1, but I think the ones I mentioned would be better suited to his late-career style.

Russell

Offline GL

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2010, 12:41:40 PM »
Being back to the main topic:

V. Talich (with the Czech Philharmonic): M4, 5, 6, 7, 9, Das Lied (Actually, he used to conduct Mahler, during the 1930s, especially in Sweden, but it seems that no recording survived).

More Mahler by Mackerras (with the Czech Philhaemonic) and not only Symphonies (I'd like to hear what he'd make of Wunderhornlieder).

L.

Offline sbugala

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2010, 04:03:29 AM »
I've been listening to Celibidache's EMI recordings of the Bruckner 8 & 9 ((from the mid-1990's) the last couple of days, and was wondering how he would have done with Mahler, particularly the M9, M2, and perhaps the M6 and M10 Adagio.  Of course by that time in his career, his interpretations had gotten REALLY SLOW, but I find them very fascinating, and the Bruckners at least have a wonderful glow and intensity that (for me) make up for any lack of speed.  I don't believe he did much Mahler (and almost certainly not that late in his career), but I think it would have been interesting to hear.  I see that the OP already listed Celi for M1, but I think the ones I mentioned would be better suited to his late-career style.

Russell

I can't find a quote readily, but I'm fairly certain Celi detested Mahler. The What-Ifs are fascinating, but in his case, someone evidently would have had to do some heavy behavior modification to get him to change him mind on Mahler.  Oh well, we can always dream...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk