Author Topic: Honeck / Pittburgh's Hammerschlag  (Read 20925 times)

Offline waderice

Re: Honeck / Pittburgh's Hammerschlag
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2012, 06:45:29 AM »
What could be even more frightening is the guy hired to "play" it! :o

Wade

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2012, 05:34:55 AM »
My source at the Aspen Music Festival has finally reported in. The decision regarding the number of hammer blows to be used in Pittsburgh's Exton CD of M6 is not yet final, but "it will most likely be two, possibly three."

Five—fortunately—is no longer a consideration.

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2012, 05:41:10 AM »
I'd rather have it now with no hammer strokes. Then, once they make up their minds, they could recall it and issue new copies with the hammer. Works for me.

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2012, 06:26:58 AM »
But Exton hasn't yet recorded Pittsburgh's M6. It'll be recorded (along with their M2) in late October and early November in Vienna's Musikverein while the orchestra is on its 2012 European tour. The recent concerts in Pittsburgh were just "rehearsals."

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2012, 07:56:09 AM »
I Know, I wasn't being serious. I doubt, however, that the recent performances of M6 were just 'rehearsals'. In addition, I'm not convinced that waiting to use the Musikverein is such a great idea. The Musikverein may sound great in a live performance context, but it just doesn't seem to record all that well.

In addition, why would anyone want to record M2 in the Musikverein? It has too little space for large choruses and its baroque organ is way too under-powered and 'wheezy' sounding for Mahler. That's just my opinion - hopefully I'm proven wrong (and yes, I've been in the Musikverein numerous times).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk