Author Topic: Bertini revisited  (Read 21220 times)

Vatz Relham

Bertini revisited
« on: January 08, 2007, 10:59:35 PM »
I have been making my way through the Bertini box again, and am just amazed at how good it is!
Not a singlle bad performance or recording. I would even consider M1, M8, Das Lied, M9, M10 adagio, as top pics,
and all the others in my top 3 for each work.
Bertini seemed to have a remarkable feel for tempo, at no time do I think: This is too slow, or this is too fast, even if you think the adagio of M9 is slow at 28 mins, it sounds right, the first mvmt is also 28 mins.
Even the dynamics are right where there supposed to be, not boring, not overly emotional, just right.

This set to me is the way Mahler should be played.

Vatz

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: Bertini revisited
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 01:02:54 AM »
I'm really excited to get this soon...hopefully with my tax refunds!! 

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 04:52:25 AM »
As much as I like Bertini's M9 & M10 on EMI, I like his remake with Tokyo Metropolitan Orch. even better. It's available on Fontec label. Although the playing by the Japanese orch. is not on par with the German orchestra Bertini's interpretation has improved, especially in the great first movt., and the SACD sound is nothing short of spectacular.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 06:28:54 PM »
The Tokyo remakes of 6 and 7 are tad better also. But now that the entire Cologne cycle is available in a box, it's not worth the extra expense of supplementing your EMI box with them, I don't think. Also, the Cologne 8th is definitely better than the remake in Japan. It's nothing to worry about, I don't feel.

Barry

Wunderhorn

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 06:24:07 AM »
Just bought this Bertini set, I'm very excited to receive it.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 07:37:08 AM »
Where is the best place to order the set, i.e., at the lowest price?

John,

Wunderhorn

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 09:50:15 AM »
Amazon has it new, at least at this moment, for only $45 and change!

Offline Damfino

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 10:02:08 PM »
I think I got it some months back from Amazon for around $30 because I had an Amazon credit to burn. 

I am surprised no one here has commented much on Bertini's Mahler 1.  To me, it seems to be the fastest I've ever heard.  The 2nd movement is particularly fast.  Mahler marked it as "doch nicht so schnell".  I daresay Bertini is close to downright "schnell" in his interpretation.  But, he takes the entire work rather faster than most conductors, so his 2nd movement fits in well with his over-all approach. 

At first, I was a bit put off by his approach, but after hearing it a few times, I got used to it.  If you listen to Bertini's Mahler 1st, and then listen to a slower one, such as Eschenbach's, the Eschenbach seems almost funereal.

Vatz Relham

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2007, 10:26:48 PM »
I think I got it some months back from Amazon for around $30 because I had an Amazon credit to burn. 

I am surprised no one here has commented much on Bertini's Mahler 1.  To me, it seems to be the fastest I've ever heard.  The 2nd movement is particularly fast.  Mahler marked it as "doch nicht so schnell".  I daresay Bertini is close to downright "schnell" in his interpretation.  But, he takes the entire work rather faster than most conductors, so his 2nd movement fits in well with his over-all approach. 

At first, I was a bit put off by his approach, but after hearing it a few times, I got used to it.  If you listen to Bertini's Mahler 1st, and then listen to a slower one, such as Eschenbach's, the Eschenbach seems almost funereal.

If you think Bertini is fast at about 7 1/2 min in M1/2 try Boulez at around 6 1/2 min, and I also like Boulez,
but Bertini is my favorite Mahler conductor overall based on 21 years of listening to this music.

Vatz

Offline John Kim

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 01:16:57 AM »
My source tells me that the Bertini set was digitally remastered from the original recordings and as a result it sounds better than the previous releases. Is there any way to confirm this?

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 05:49:09 AM »
I don't know if they sound better - just different, I think. Look, John, just spend the money and get one! You won't regret it.

Barry

Offline John Kim

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2007, 08:16:37 AM »
"...just different"? Uhm...could be "improved". I am mostly after the Sixth & Ninth parts where the sound was shrill (6th) and somewhat opaque (9th). Hope that EMI cleaned up the sound. But the sonics on the 8th, 10th Adagio, and DLVDE was outstanding.

John,

Wunderhorn

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2007, 07:13:00 AM »
I've received the Bertini set and this is the second time I've owned it; This time I'm not letting go! All works in the set are conducted well, while you can find the set for between $50 and $60. This makes me question how stupid we all are, buying dozens upon dozens of recordings of the same work for big bucks when we can find an fine set like the one mentioned. It makes us all look like junkies in search of the ultimate fix.  :-[

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2007, 09:38:20 AM »
I've been saying for years - long before EMI issued this box set - that I felt that the Bertini cycle was the most consistantly great cycle of any.

Barry

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2007, 03:53:10 PM »
This makes me question how stupid we all are, buying dozens upon dozens of recordings of the same work for big bucks when we can find an fine set like the one mentioned. It makes us all look like junkies in search of the ultimate fix.  :-[

I don't think I could live with just one interpetation though...

but I am a junkie ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk