Author Topic: B.G. loves Rondo-Burlesque from Macal/Czech Phil. M9  (Read 3962 times)

Offline barry guerrero

B.G. loves Rondo-Burlesque from Macal/Czech Phil. M9
« on: March 25, 2008, 05:51:46 AM »
OK, I finally listened to the last two movements of Macal's M9 tonight. I think that Macal has the second best Rondo-Burlesque I've ever heard (the best being Berstein/Concertgebouw, and Bernstein/BSO @ Tangelwood). Bernstein simply whips up more excitement at the end of the R-B; a race to the finish line - that's the deciding factor. But Macal is second to none when it comes to clarity. When, for example, have you ever heard the piccolo part so clearly, but without the piccolo playing especially loud? I also thought that the finale was very well paced too, with the last few minutes sounding particularly outstanding. I think that the playing of the Czech Phil. is outstanding in all four movements.

On the whole, I really feel that both the Sinopoli/Dresden and Macal/CPO Mahler 9ths, have more distinct musical and interpretive profiles than the Rattle/Berlin one - which ain't bad by any means.

Barry
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 05:59:00 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline John Kim

Re: B.G. loves Rondo-Burlesque from Macal/Czech Phil. M9
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 06:33:31 AM »
I agree Macal's R-B is executed with utmost clarity and ardor and perhaps these elements nicely make up for the lack of ferocity and wild abandon we typically tie with other fine recordings. The Finale has coolness rather than fire, but again the plying by CPO is something to treasure. It's a cool, rational approach that works extremely well thanks to the outstanding playing, superb sound quality, and Macal's top notch conducting that grabs out every detail in the score. Yes, it's definitely ahead of the Rattle/BPO/EMI. I'd even prefer over two Karajans and Abbado/BPO/DG.

John,

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 05:18:39 PM »
Bernstein simply whips up more excitement at the end of the R-B; a race to the finish line - that's the deciding factor.

Barry

Honestly, this section is absolutely do-or-die for me in an M9.  I can think of very few M9's that I've outright dismissed because of the other three movements.  Strangely, I rarely return to an M9 performance if I am not convinced by this one single section in the symphony. 

As such, all of my favorite M9's do this one section well:  Lennie/RCOA, Lennie/Boston, de Waart, Chailly, Abbado/Berlin/Mfest, ...

I understand that this is a strange requirement of mine, since most others emphasize the first and last movements.  But again, I feel that those two movements are performed more consistently up to par.   

Scott
(listening to late-period Rachmaninov these days)
Scott

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 05:29:27 PM »
Scott,

If you want the R-B going really wild and rough, try Schwarz/RLPO/Artek recording that came out recently. IMO, this is as close to what Lenny had done with RCO and BSO as I can imagine.

John,

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 06:21:14 PM »
Scott,

If you want the R-B going really wild and rough, try Schwarz/RLPO/Artek recording that came out recently. IMO, this is as close to what Lenny had done with RCO and BSO as I can imagine.

John,

Thanks for the reminder.  I just ordered it from an Amazon reseller. 
Scott

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk