Author Topic: Yoel Gamzou - upcoming Mahler 10 performances in Germany  (Read 6498 times)

Offline hrandall

Yoel Gamzou - upcoming Mahler 10 performances in Germany
« on: October 07, 2011, 03:36:13 PM »
I noticed last night that Yoel Gamzou will be touring Germany with his International Mahler Orchestra soon to play his own performing version of M10. Here's the dates and a link to the press release:

http://www.mahler-10.com/presse/International-Mahler-Orchestra-Tour-2011-pressrelease.pdf

21.11.2011 Wiesbaden | Kurhaus
      www.wiesbaden.de/microsite/kurhaus/index.php
 22.11.2011 Köln | Philharmonie
      www.koelner-philharmonie.de/home/
 25.11.2011 Berlin | Philharmonie
      www.berliner-philharmoniker.de/philharmonie/
 28.11.2011 Hamburg | St. Michaelis
      www.st-michaelis.de/
 29.11.2011 Leipzig | Centraltheater
      www.schauspiel-leipzig.de/
 01.12.2011 Stuttgart | Liederhalle
      www.liederhalle-stuttgart.de/

Hopefully one of our European members will be able to attend one and give us a review!

I'm still hoping someone will come up with a CD recording of this, rather than just the DVD option that is available now.

Cheers,
Herb

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Yoel Gamzou - upcoming Mahler 10 performances in Germany
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 05:20:27 PM »
It's pretty heavily cut, and the form to the first scherzo is completely changed. It might not be so bad if it weren't for the fact that Gamzou exaggerates the differences between fast and slow sections to such an extreme extent. It strikes me as 'overwrought' without addressing or solving the 'real' issues of the work.

Offline hrandall

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 05:27:48 PM »
It's pretty heavily cut, and the form to the first scherzo is completely changed. It might not be so bad if it weren't for the fact that Gamzou exaggerates the differences between fast and slow sections to such an extreme extent. It strikes me as 'overwrought' without addressing or solving the 'real' issues of the work.

It would be interesting to learn if Gamzou has made any revisions in his score since the DVD and last round of performances for this upcoming series of concerts.

Herb

Offline hrandall

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 03:25:43 PM »
I wonder if any of our European forum members are attending tonight's Gamzou M10 performance in Wiesbaden, or any of the upcoming dates? I'd love to hear reports, reviews, recordings, whatever .

Cheers,
Herb

Offline Zoltan

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 07:54:07 PM »
They're coming to my home town soon but I'm unsure yet if my level of curiosity is high enough (and they don't have student tickets, so it's a monetary issue as well -- lowest category tickets are 3 Naxos).
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 07:56:06 PM by Zoltan »

Offline hrandall

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 02:31:22 PM »
In answer to my own question above, it does appear that Yoel Gamzou has made some revisions in his "reconstruction" of Mahler's 10th. From the Schott Music website (http://www.schott-music.com/news/archive/show,6623.html):

"This tour is the real world premiere of my new version of Gustav Mahler's tenth Symphony. The premiere in Berlin last year felt like a rehearsal and with both subsequent revisions and time for the music to mature, the final work has now arrived." Joel Gamzou

The score seems to be available from them.

Cheers,
Herb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk