Author Topic: Jonathan Darlington/Duisburg Philharmonic M6th  (Read 4269 times)

Offline John Kim

Jonathan Darlington/Duisburg Philharmonic M6th
« on: August 17, 2010, 08:58:30 PM »
Read,

http://www.weta.org/fmblog/?p=1291

"Belonging in this category is also an ‘unlikely incredible’ recording I became aware of only this month: Jonathan Darlington and the Duisburg Philharmonic put down a first movement that comes as close to my ideal as any. On the audiophile Acousense label (mentioned when I wrote about their now out-of-print recording of the Hamburg version of the First Symphony) the Duisburg band puts its foot down from the opening notes achieving a gripping, raw cello sound and enormous forward drive. At almost 23 ½ minutes Darlington is on the slower side of first movements, but his opening sounds—and is—faster than just about anyone else’s. The pace, if not the speed, is kept up throughout… but then slackens a little in the following Andante, one of the slowest on record. The cowbells, unfortunately, sound more like an inconsiderate caterer’s clangy dinner cart is being pushed by the orchestra, but that’s my only real complaint. The Scherzo and the Finale are ravishing. A terrific performance  well caught in concert."

Has anybody heard the recording? ??? ::)

John,

Offline GL

Re: Jonathan Darlington/Duisburg Philharmonic M6th
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 12:32:48 PM »
It's a good Live, but nothing special.

Luca

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Jonathan Darlington/Duisburg Philharmonic M6th
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 07:22:41 AM »
Here are the timings:

Allegro energico, ma non troppo [23:33]; II. Andante moderato [15:02]; III. Scherzo: Wuchtig [13:09]; IV. Finale: Allegro moderato [31:16]

As you can see, there's nothing all that unusual. The timings for the two inner movements are very similar to Zinman. In Mvt. I, 23.5 is just about the same as Boulez/VPO. 15:02 is not particularly long for the andante movement either. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk