Author Topic: Interesting new review of Haitink's Chicago M2  (Read 3807 times)

Offline Russell

Interesting new review of Haitink's Chicago M2
« on: January 02, 2010, 05:46:38 PM »
This is an audiophile-oriented site, but the reviewer certainly has his own ideas on how the music should go.  He likes Bernstein/NYP, Levi, and MTT in this work (and now the new Haitink, despite some initial reservations).

http://www.audaud.com/article.php?ArticleID=6807

I've only had a chance to listen to sample the beginning and end of the stereo SACD layer, and it does indeed have good sound (though not the best I've heard).  You really have to crank the volume up, though.  At least the organ's good--prominent, solid, and deep.  I'll reserve judgment on the performance until I listen to the entire recording (whenever I get the time!).

Russell

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Interesting new review of Haitink's Chicago M2
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 07:39:27 PM »
I think the main point is that this is a Mahler performance from Haitink that is much, much more up-to-tempo than his previous Mahler releases from Chicago. As an "interpreter", he seems a bit rudderless to me now. Thus, I think he's at his best when he allows the music to speak for itself. That was certainly the case in his 60's/70's Amsterdam recordings.

To be a bit more specific, the first movement is up-to-tempo, and with a very strong climax leading into the recapitulation. I like it that he doesn't dilly-dally in the Intermezzo-like second movement, yet doesn't take the scherzo too swiftly either - performing it more at the tempo of the original song from "Des Knaben Wunderhorn" (St. Anthony's Sermon To The Fishes). Stojtin is terrific, and the finale has plenty of power from the legendary CSO brass. Haitink's biggest miscalculation is in regards to the offstage trumpets & percussion (cymbals/bass drum) at the climactic passage of the long march section. He fails to bring the offstage trumpets in closer before the rest of the orchestra joins in at a full fortissimo. But as I pointed out earlier, a lot of people get this logistical issue wrong. The CSO Chorus does a knock-out job near the end of the symphony, but the deep bells certainly could have been better, close to the very end of the work (high/low pitched gongs seem adequate). As you pointed out, you CAN hear the d__n organ! (what's with M2 & M8 recordings that have little or no organ?).

Barry

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 10:40:48 PM »
Barry,

Say, I already own Haitink's earlier recordings with RCO (twice) and BPO. Do I really need to invest in the new CSO version??

Oh, PL say YES!!! ;) >:( ;D

John,

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 01:41:09 AM »
Barry,

Say, I already own Haitink's earlier recordings with RCO (twice) and BPO. Do I really need to invest in the new CSO version??

Oh, PL say YES!!! ;) >:( ;D

John,

I downloaded the performance from eMusic because I didn't want to spend $25 and be disappointed -- like I was with Haitink's CSO M1 and M6.  I think that the M2 is good enough to merit purchasing the SACD, but have not gotten around to it yet. 
Scott

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk