Author Topic: New Testament CD of the original Cooke M10  (Read 5398 times)

Offline Russell

New Testament CD of the original Cooke M10
« on: April 26, 2011, 11:23:34 PM »
I'm making my way through the newly released Testament RBCD set of the 1960 BBC broadcast of Cooke's lecture-performance of the M10.  Incredibly fascinating.  It seems like most or all of that broadcast is available here:

http://www.viddler.com/explore/DeryckCookeWeb/videos/1

In addition, the Testament CD contains the premiere public performance (Goldschmidt/LSO) of Cooke's version at the 1964 Proms concerts.  I haven't heard this yet, but it promises to be equally as fascinating as the "preview" from 4 years earlier.

BTW, I've always thought that the opening Adagio is taken way too slowly and lugubriously nowadays--Goldschmidt (and Ormandy afterwards) proves that a slightly faster tempo makes it flow so much better...

Russell

Offline James Meckley

Re: New Testament CD of the original Cooke M10
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 11:57:57 PM »
I'm making my way through the newly released Testament RBCD set of the 1960 BBC broadcast of Cooke's lecture-performance of the M10. Incredibly fascinating.

I just received mine from Presto Classical. The SQ is much better than the old air check I had previously. At this point, I prefer the Ormandy to the Goldschmidt, but we'll see...

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline Don

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 02:26:44 PM »
Goldschmidt is a bit of a  "rough and ready" performance, but the drama and the sense of occasion is palpable. Would not be a preferred version, but it is quite an historical document.
M10 Fanatic!

Offline waderice

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 02:49:51 PM »
Goldschmidt is a bit of a  "rough and ready" performance, but the drama and the sense of occasion is palpable. Would not be a preferred version, but it is quite an historical document.

Though I have yet to hear it, that is to be expected of either an entirely new work, or one in an entirely new format, no matter how good the players in a given orchestra are, not to mention a conductor's first traversal of the work.  Also, James Meckley's earlier comment about Ormandy's reading probably being better certainly had to have been given a thorough study by the conductor, not to mention plenty of rehearsal, for both the concerts and resultant recording.

Wade
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 02:51:54 PM by waderice »

Offline Russell

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 03:58:31 PM »
Absolutely right, Don, Wade, & James.  Ormandy's performance (one of my favorites) is much more polished and refined than the Goldschmidt (the LSO sounds pretty scrappy at times), but at the same time there's a great historical sense about the Goldschmidt that makes it treasurable.  It's great to have it, as well as Cooke's earlier lecture/performance (also conducted by Goldschmidt) preserved on CD.  I wonder what the Proms audience made of it, especially at a time when it wasn't yet fashionable to do Mahler?

Russell

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 03:27:44 AM »
I got it from a first hand source that Goldschmidt did much of the orchestration for Cooke anyway. If you ever listened to "Beatrice Cenzi" (sp?), it's not difficult to take that leap of faith at all.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk