Author Topic: Mahler ebay items...  (Read 4039 times)

rwilson

Mahler ebay items...
« on: April 25, 2007, 06:52:22 PM »
Hello,
    I was found two items on ebay, by the same seller coincidently.  One is a boxed set called the Slatkin Years, devoted to his time with the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra.  Anyone care to comment on the Mahler 5th in the set? http://cgi.ebay.com/SLATKIN-YEARS-St-Louis-Symphony-Orchestra-6Cd-boxed-set_W0QQitemZ330113463087QQihZ014QQcategoryZ307QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The other is Zinman's Baltimore set. http://cgi.ebay.com/ZINMAN-LEGACY-Baltimore-SO-Mahler-Mozart-Brahms-etc-OOP_W0QQitemZ330113499679QQihZ014QQcategoryZ307QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Has anyone heard the Mahler 6th? What are the amplified hammer  blows?

Thanks!
Rob

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Mahler ebay items...
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 03:00:10 AM »
The Slatkin/SLSO M5 is very good, with near excellent sound quality. The Zinman/Baltimore M6 isn't nearly as well recorded (the hall in Baltimore isn't the best), but it's a solid performance as well. There's no exposition repeat, so it fits easily on one disc. It's in S/A order, and the scherzo is quite good. And yes, the two hammerstrokes are just outrageous sounding! They sound as though someone let off a bomb underneath the stage - a rather reverberant bomb. He did the same thing here in S.F., when he performed the sixth Mahler. I understand that his upcoming M6 for Arte Nova won't have the electronically enhanced hammer blows.

In conclusion, the Slatikin M5 is the better sounding performance, but the Zinman M6 is definitely a unique novelty. The Zinman set has a Tcahik. 5 with a pretty fast finale, by the way.

Barry
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 04:01:57 AM by barry guerrero »

rwilson

Re: Mahler ebay items...
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 05:35:55 PM »
Thanks for posting on this.  I'm having a tough time finding info on them since they're a few years old.  I may go for the Slatkin one because it has some other unique stuff on it, just as long as the price doesn't get too high.

Thanks,
Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk