Author Topic: Kindertotenlieder  (Read 4898 times)

Offline Prospero

Kindertotenlieder
« on: December 16, 2012, 03:06:35 AM »
Is Mahler's song cycle the lament for our times?

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Kindertotenlieder
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 04:43:14 AM »
Yes, that was a horrendous tragedy yesterday. But so was WWI, which killed millions up millions of Europeans (and others) for no real discernible reason, and that was far closer to Mahler's time.  Thus, I would say that "KTL" stands for ALL times. People always have - and always will - do horrendous, senseless, despicable and violent acts upon each other. 

Offline Prospero

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 12:22:56 AM »
The atrocities of 1914-1918 were great, but they are very distant from our current daily lives in 2012.

Alas, the human grief of our moment knows no calendar or measure, and there is no answer but our own feelings of loss and our fragile hope for a more compassionate world. What can answer to the loss of these little children?

I have a grandson who is a kindergarten child almost 6 years old. He is the joy of my life, and those children are also my loss and fear.

Yes, Mahler saw and expressed this joy and fear of loss for our times so keenly.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 02:12:13 AM by Prospero »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 10:00:59 AM »
I'm not saying that one tragedy is qualitatively greater or more important than the other. That would be foolish. My point is simply that these kinds of atrocities have been around since day 1. I personally believe that both Ruckert and Mahler were were getting at a more generalized kind of loss: the loss of innocence, irrespective of age. But that's simply my own belief and thus, an interpretation.

Maybe that's just saying the same thing in a different way.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 09:58:24 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline Clov

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 07:03:58 PM »
'A man of means by no means.' - Roger Miller

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk