Author Topic: Rattle, BPO, Quasthoff & Heppner - DLvdE tonight  (Read 4678 times)

Offline Jot N. Tittle

• Meine Zeit wird noch kommen.
Rattle, BPO, Quasthoff & Heppner - DLvdE tonight
« on: November 15, 2007, 03:29:14 AM »
Any of you catch the broadcast from Carnegie Hall tonight? Also streamed live and archived on npr.org/music, so you can still catch it.

For me, it was something of a disappointment. Besides a very noisy audience, Heppner's voice seemed to crack on the word Tag (as in "Ich trinke, bis ich nicht mehr kann, / den ganzen lieben Tag!"), and Quasthoff seemed to skip or swallow a word here and there. The engineering may have been amiss, but I am not qualified to make that call.

The only baritone whom I have heard able to pull off Das Lied successfully is Fi-Di, with Murray Dickie and the Philharmonia Orchestra led by Paul Kletzki.

. & '

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: Rattle, BPO, Quasthoff & Heppner - DLvdE tonight
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 04:31:24 AM »
I missed this but thanks for the heads up!!!

--Leo

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 07:23:10 AM »
I think Rattle/BPO combination wil make pretty good M6th and M7th nowadays.

But why in heaven did Rattle choose two male singers again for this piece?? It will rarely make a successful DLVDE.

John,

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 06:14:25 PM »
I may be in the minority, but I LOVE DLvdE when performed with a baritone.  I have several performances with Hampson that I find to be outstanding, including the Rattle commercial release and the Haitink/GMYO Mahlerfest performance.  I also have a radio rip (from OperaShare) with Quasthoff/Heppner/Ozawa/Boston SO which I would find fabulous if not for the audio dropouts from the recorded radio stream.  Oh yeah, and I do not want to leave out DFD with either Lennie or Kletzki!!!
Scott

Offline Jot N. Tittle

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 10:20:10 PM »
As perhaps you know, Hampson was originally scheduled for the Rattle/BPO Carnegie Hall performance. Don't know what happened that he couldn't do it.

I still regret that I was unable to attend last January's Colorado MahlerFest, where he sang DLvdE. Anyone here attend?

. & '

Offline Jot N. Tittle

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 10:32:14 PM »

--Leo

NPR hasn't archived this performance yet but apparently they plan to. They suggest returning to their web page <http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=16227797> in a few days.

Hope you get to hear it, Leo.

. & '

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 05:48:18 AM »
News from Carnigie Hall:

http://www.carnegiehall.org/article/press/press_release/107905.html

The Berliner Philharmoniker’s final orchestra program in Stern Auditorium/Perelman Stage takes place on Friday, November 16 at 8:00 p.m. featuring Mahler’s Symphony No. 10 (performing version by Deryck Cooke) and György Kurtág’s Stele, Op. 33. Stele was premiered in 1994 when Kurtág was composer-in-residence with the Berliner Philharmoniker.

Thirteen/WNET will tape the Berliner Philharmoniker’s November 13 performance of Mahler’s Symphony No. 9 for later broadcast on PBS’ Great Performances. The orchestra’s November 14 concert will be broadcast live on WNYC 93.9 FM and streamed live on wnyc.org. This concert will later be broadcast nationally on SymphonyCast from American Public Media and archived on NPR Music at npr.org/music. The Berliner Philharmoniker’s performance on these radio broadcasts was made possible by Deutsche Bank.

I wonder if the M10 was broadcast?  And hopefully someone will upload the M9 broadcast!

--Leo

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 10:05:42 PM »

--Leo

NPR hasn't archived this performance yet but apparently they plan to. They suggest returning to their web page <http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=16227797> in a few days.

Hope you get to hear it, Leo.

. & '

I now have the Rattle/BPO/DlvdE broadcast and plan to listen at work this weekend...thanks again for the heads up.

--Leo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk