Author Topic: Live, from Guerrero's-ville, it's the 2007 Mahler awards  (Read 4395 times)

Offline barry guerrero

Live, from Guerrero's-ville, it's the 2007 Mahler awards
« on: November 15, 2007, 08:21:55 AM »
2007 certainly finished up strongly, after getting off to a very slow start. I haven't heard the Macal/Czech Phil. M7. I have feeling that if I had, it just might be my record of the year. But based what I actually have heard, I'll award my "Mahler Record Of The Year" to the Zinman M3. I really like this Mahler 3rd a lot, and I think that the Zinman cycle is shaping up to be the modern day Kubelik cycle. But I could just as easily live with the Macal M4 as my "R.O.T.Y." instead. I can't say that I was terribly impressed with Macal's M6. With the Czech Phil., I actually like the Neumann (Canyon) one better. Anyway, here are some other awards.

Mahler Record Of The Year (for me, not anybody else):  Zinman/Tonnhale Zurich M3

Best Engineered Mahler recording, 2007:  Macal/Czech Phil. M4 (sounds great!).

Honorable mention for best engineered:  Haitink/RCOA M4

Best Mahler DVD, 2007: (it's a tie!) Boulez M2 (Euroarts); Abbado/LFO M6 (Euroarts)

Best Reissued Mahler Recording, 2007:  Reiner/CSO "Das Lied Von Der Erde"

Most disappointing big-name Mahler release:  Haitink/CSO M3 (excellent brass; decent strings; awful clarinets; timid percussion  - except for the timpani; lethargic, colorless conducting)

various honorable mentions:  Boulez M8; Barenboim M9; Norrington M5 (D.H. hates it , but I actually like much that's in it)

Well, that's tonight show, brought to you by Alma Condoms - the condoms that kept Vienna whistling happy operetta tunes for decades.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 04:38:40 PM by barry guerrero »

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: Live, from Guerrero's-ville, it's the 2007 Mahler awards
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 05:59:17 PM »
I'd have to agree, except the Rattle BPO M9/EMI would be my record of the year (unless it is considered a 2008 release?) with Zinman close behind.

I have the Macal M7 and Boulez M8 on order so I'll update my results after hearing these.

The Macal M4 may be one of the best recorded Mahler disks I've heard.

By the way, I would have to agree the strength of the Zinman M3 totally outshines the Haitink CSO by miles.  The Zinman M3 rocks!

I like Norrington's M2 as well, at least as most interesting experiment...it is actually quite good though!

--Leo

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 06:20:39 PM »
...except the Rattle BPO M9/EMI would be my record of the year (unless it is considered a 2008 release?) with Zinman close behind.

--Leo

I am sorry, but we will have to invalidate anything that has not been released commercially.  Oh wait, it was released on iTunes...never mind.   ;D
Scott

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 06:39:15 PM »
I still have a few on order, so I'll withhold my final voting.  Suffice to say, I really like the Macal/Czech PO M4 and M7 as my favorite 2007 releases so far (the M6 was released 2 yrs ago, so I'm not considering it).  I like all of the Zinman releases so far, with only minor reservations.  The Abbado is hands down my favorite DVD of the year, although the Boulez M2 DVD is quite good.  I'll also agree with everyone that the Reiner DLvdE SACD takes the prize for a re-release.  I'll have to look at my collection to see what else has been released this year.

I still have a few on order: 
BBC release of the live M7/Tennstedt/LPO from the early 80's
Sony/Japan SACD releases of Lennie's NYPO M3, M4, and M7. 
Scott

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 08:56:42 AM »
.    .     .    based on the qaulity of the Macal M4, I'm sure that M7 is every bit as good as you say. I'll have to hear that.

Barry

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 04:57:58 PM »
The Sieghart DlvdE on Exton deserves an honorable mention also, at least for excellant sound (thanks to Exton's high standards), but the performance has it's merits..in tempo and feel it's alot like Kubelik's Audite version, only not as exciting.  The final Movment though is very well done and is worth the price of admission.

--Leo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk